This revolutionary medium format camera from Fujifilm combines an ultrahigh quality 102MP sensor with an amazingly small and portable mirrorless camera body design to redefine the medium format. Its sturdy design, in-body image stabilization, and responsive autofocus further enhance its appeal to photographers and videographers alike, making it more accessible and adaptable for a wider range of shooting situations…
The GFX 100S platform is powered by a 102MP 44 x 33mm BSI CMOS sensor, which not only provides the ultra-high resolution demanded by still photographers, but also supports 4K video recording capabilities. It is designed to operate in conjunction with the X-Processor 4 to provide 16-bit raw images with a wide dynamic range, low noise levels, and sensitivity up to ISO 12800.
The sensor’s BSI design adds to great clarity and accurate color reproduction while working in a variety of lighting circumstances. If you’re interested in video recording, DCI and UHD 4K video recording is possible at 4:2:0 10 bit internally, 4:2:2 10 bit via HDMI, or raw 12-bit if you’re interested in recording externally. An F-log gamma setting can also be used for more advanced color grading during the post-production process.
In addition to high-resolution photography, the innovative sensor design has a sophisticated hybrid autofocus system with 425 customizable phase-detection points that cover virtually the whole frame and help in the exact recognition of faces and eyes.
A remarkably small form size, which allows for a variety of novel working scenarios for this high-resolution platform, serves to counterbalance the outstanding sensor design. In addition to being sleek and lightweight, the GFX 100S’s mobility is bolstered by powerful in-body image stabilization, which adjusts for up to 6 stops of camera shake for enhanced handheld shooting performance.
For still objects, this stabilization mechanism also enables the creation of 400MP images utilizing the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot mode, which captures incredible detail in the background. An EVF with a fixed 3.69m-dot resolution for brilliant eye-level viewing and a back 3.2″ touchscreen LCD with a three-way tilting design further contribute to the elegant form factor of the device.
102MP BSI CMOS Sensor and X-Processor 4
The GFX 100S is equipped with a large and very high-resolution 43.8 x 32.9mm BSI CMOS sensor and the X-Processor 4, which allows it to capture 16-bit still images with a wide dynamic range and a wide sensitivity range of ISO 100-12800, which can be increased to ISO 50-102400.
As a result of the enormous size of each pixel, more effective light collection is possible, resulting in smoother tonal and color transitions, which results in the characteristic three-dimensional “medium format appearance.” Other classic medium and large format aspect ratios, such as 1:1, 65:24, 5:4, 7:6, 3:2, and 16:9, can be utilized to create a range of medium format looks in addition to the usual 4:3, including 1:1, 65:24, 5:4, 7:6, 3:2, and 16:9.
The image processor and sensor also give the system a competitive advantage in terms of versatility, allowing it to shoot continuously at up to 5 frames per second and record DCI and UHD 4K30 footage.
Video Recording in Ultra HD and DCI 4K Resolution
While the GFX 100S is capable of shooting still images, it also has an impressive array of video capabilities, including internal UHD and DCI 4K30p video recording at up to 4:2:0 10-bit, as well as 4K30p 4:2:2 10-bit video recording via HDMI output, both at up to 400 Mb/s-and the ability to record both external and internal video simultaneously. The Apple ProRes RAW format is also supported when working with an Atomos Ninja V for UHD 4K30p raw 12-bit output when utilizing the Atomos Ninja V.
Speedy read rates while recording 4K video, enabled by the quad-CPU X-Processor 4, contribute significantly to overall video performance by reducing rolling shutter distortion when capturing moving subjects. This has a significant impact on overall video performance.
Additionally, in addition to the 10-bit color depth that is offered, the GFX 100 supports the F-Log gamma option, which produces a flat image that may be used in advanced color grading applications throughout the editing process.
This increases the possible dynamic range in tough circumstances, and picture modifications may be made to the highlight tone, shadow tone, color, and sharpness, as well as the overall contrast and sharpness. For HDR applications, HLG recording is also supported, and F-Log, HLG, and Film Simulations may all be utilized in conjunction with raw external output while still maintaining image quality.
Additionally, the camera includes a 3.5mm microphone jack as well as a 3.5mm headphone port for use with more complex audio systems.
- GFX 100 models have benefited from an updated body form that is notably more compact and lightweight than prior generations, making it particularly well-suited for handheld photography on site and in studio conditions.
- Its magnesium alloy body structure is both lightweight and sturdy, while the camera system has been weather sealed to ensure that it is resistant to moisture and dust ingress, as well as freezeproof down to 14°F, making it ideal for usage in adverse weather situations.
- The high-resolution, 0.77x-magnification eye-level viewing provided by the fixed 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder is of exceptional quality.
- A 3.2 on the scale “Image playback, menu navigation, and live view shooting are all possible with the 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD that is included. During live view, this LCD has a unique three-way tilting design that allows it to be tilted upward and downward to accommodate shooting from high and low angles, as well as tilted to the side to assist shooting in the vertical position.
- A single NP-W235 rechargeable lithium-ion battery has a capacity of roughly 460 shots per charge, according to the manufacturer.
- There are two SD memory card ports, both of which support UHS-II speeds, and which allow you to save pictures in a sequential fashion, backup/duplicate mode, or sorted mode to separate JPEG and raw data.
- In addition, the FUJIFILM G lens mount has a short focal flange distance of only 26.7mm, which makes it easier to adapt lenses and allows for shorter back focusing distances, which helps to prevent vignetting and promote edge-to-edge sharpness when using the GF series of lenses. The FUJIFILM G lens mount is compatible with the GF series of lenses.
- A score of 1.8 “It is possible to rapidly see shooting settings and exposure data on the top plate, thanks to a sub-LCD panel.
- The exposure mode dial on the top plate also has six custom locations for easily choosing between pre-configured exposure settings, in addition to the standard settings.
- The camera’s built-in Bluetooth 4.2 low-energy and Wi-Fi capabilities allow you to wirelessly exchange photographs with a mobile device or use the device to remotely control the camera.
Fujifilm GFX 100S specifications
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||11648 x 8736|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 5:4, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||102 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Medium format (44 x 33 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-12800 (expands to 50-102400)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||50|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||102400|
|White balance presets||7|
|Custom white balance||Yes (3 slots)|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||6 stop(s)|
|Uncompressed format||RAW + TIFF|
|JPEG quality levels||Super fine, fine, normal|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||425|
|Lens mount||Fujifilm G|
|Focal length multiplier||0.79×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder magnification||0.61× (0.77× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/16000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||No|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe or flash sync port)|
|Continuous drive||5.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (2, 3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV steps)|
|Format||MPEG-4, H.264, H.265|
|Modes||4096 x 2160 @ 30p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 25p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 24p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 23.98p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC cards (UHS-II supported)|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11ac + Bluetooth|
|Battery description||NP-W235 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||460|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||900 g (1.98 lb / 31.75 oz)|
|Dimensions||150 x 104 x 87 mm (5.91 x 4.09 x 3.43″)|