Addressing the demands of multimedia image-makers, the black FUJIFILM X-T4 is a versatile mirrorless camera that integrates superior stills and video capabilities together with expanded workflow and assistive features.
Utilizing a proven and well-regarded APS-C-format 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor, the X-T4 is capable of the high-resolution recording along with support for DCI/UHD 4K video at 60 fps, Full HD recording up to 240 fps, sensitivity from ISO 160-12800, and continuous shooting up to 15 fps with the mechanical shutter. The BSI design of the sensor allows less noise and increased overall clarity and is partnered with the X-Processor 4 to achieve rapid performance and improved responsiveness.
The sensor’s architecture also allows a hybrid autofocus technology that combines 425 phase-detection points with a contrast-detection system for speedy and accurate AF performance. Additionally, complementing all elements of picture creation, the X-T4 also contains a 6.5 stop-effective sensor-shift image stabilization technology to lessen the appearance of camera wobble with practically any attached lens.
Beyond the sensor and processing capabilities, FUJIFILM’s cameras are widely acclaimed for their physical form, and the X-T4 boasts a redesigned design for greater handling and shooting efficiency. A huge, brilliant 3.69m-dot electronic viewfinder may be tuned to a 100 fps refresh rate for remarkable smoothness while panning or tracking subjects.
Conversely, the back 3.0″ 1.62m-dot touchscreen LCD now includes a varied-angle design to accommodate working from high, low, and front-facing angles; alternatively, it may be closed against the body if merely working with the EVF.
Dual SD UHS-II memory card slots give file-saving options and the X-T4 features the upgraded, high capacity NP-W235 battery that offers about 600 photos per charge. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth provide wireless remote camera operation and image sharing to a mobile device.
With the sensor and processor from APS-C X-Trans, the camera can capture 26.1MP images.
The X-T4 is built on a sensor that is both large and adaptable. It boasts an APS-C-format 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor with a back-illuminated design that provides smooth tonal rendering, better low-light performance, and a native sensitivity range of ISO 160-12800.
X-Trans sensors also employ a randomized pixel array; this, together with the lack of an optical low-pass filter, allows for excellent image clarity and sharpness, as demonstrated by the Canon EOS 5D Mark III. By mimicking the organic nature of film rather than traditional pixel patterns, the X-Trans design produces more nuanced colors and tonal transitions while also eliminating moiré and other artifacts.
Another feature included in the sensor design is a new phase-detection focusing system with 425 customizable points that covers almost the full sensor surface. A quicker and more accurate focusing performance is provided in a variety of lighting settings down to 6 EV with this autofocus mechanism. Additionally, an updated X-Processor 4 is included, which has a quad-core CPU and provides faster, more responsive performance throughout the camera system.
This includes a full-resolution 15 frames per second shooting rate with the mechanical shutter, a 20 frames per second shooting rate with an electronic shutter, or a 30 frames per second shooting rate with an electronic shutter and a 1.25x crop.
In-Body Image Stabilization is a technique for stabilizing images within the body.
With the aid of the built-in 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization, the appearance of camera shaking may be reduced by up to 6.5 stops. This technology is compatible with the majority of X Series lenses, including non-stabilized lenses, and provides advantages while shooting at slower shutter speeds or in challenging lighting circumstances.
Additionally, 4-axis digital image stabilization may be employed during video recording to further help in the stabilizing of the film, which is very important while capturing handheld video.
UHD and DCI 4K Video Recording
Expanding its capabilities beyond stills, the X-T4 delivers a flexible array of video capabilities, including internal DCI/UHD 4K recording at up to 60 fps and Full HD recording up to 240 fps for super slow-motion playback.
Greatly benefiting overall video performance, the speed of the X-Processor 4 enables quick read rates while recording video and helps to decrease rolling shutter distortion when capturing moving subjects. Also, a micro-HDMI connector permits 10-bit 4:2:2 recording to an optional external recorder.
With addition to the offered 10-bit color depth, the X-T4 also has the F-Log gamma option, which produces a flat picture for use in advanced color grading applications during editing. This optimizes the possible dynamic range in tough circumstances and picture modifications may be performed, as well, to highlight tone, shadow tone, color, and sharpness.
Also, the camera offers a 3.5mm microphone jack and 2.5mm remote connection with supplied headphone adaptor for more sophisticated audio options.
Design of the Body
- There is a 0.75x magnification on the bright, high-resolution 3.69 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder, and the refresh rate can be increased to 100 frames per second to eliminate latency and allow for better panning and tracking motions.
- Vari-angle Because of the touchscreen design, the 3.0″ 1.62m-dot LCD allows for easy control and playback, and the articulating design allows for greater flexibility while filming from high and low shooting angles. This variable-angle design also allows you to close the screen against the camera body, obscuring it from view and allowing you to shoot without being distracted.
- The top plate is equipped with a series of locking dials and levers that allow for quick and intuitive control over exposure settings. These include dedicated shutter speed, ISO, and exposure compensation dials that allow for direct settings adjustment even when the camera is turned off and the camera is not in use. Additionally, there is a C position on this exposure compensation dial, which allows for an increased +/- 5 EV range when dealing with the command dials.
- The front and rear command dials are equipped with a push function to make operation and setting choices easier.
- The rear joystick may be used for easy AF point selection and switching, as well as menu navigation and image playback, among other things.
- The durability of the newly built mechanical shutter has been increased, and it is now rated for 300,000 actuations.
- The camera’s integrated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity allows it to be used to wirelessly share photographs with a mobile device or to remotely control the camera from a mobile device.
- For quick and versatile file storage, dual SD memory card slots each support up to the UHS-II standard.
- When used in conjunction with the EVF, the included NP-W235 battery offers about 600 frames per charge.
Simulation Modes for Film Productions
With its Film Simulation modes, which take advantage of FUJIFILM’s extensive experience in conventional film-based photography, the X-T4 is capable of recreating the appearance and feel of some of the company’s historic film types, such as:
- Provia: A color transparency film with a standard contrast and regular saturation.
- A film with excellent contrast, color saturation, and brilliant color transparency, Velvia is one of the best on the market today.
- It has an appearance that is perfect for portraiture because of the low contrast and color saturation.
- Classic In the same way that a vintage slide film would provide subdued tones and rich color reproduction, chrome does the same for digital photography.
- Classic Neg: muted contrast, yet brilliant colors, and a classic filmic vibe to the picture.
- CONTRARY TO PROFESSIONAL EXAMINATION
- This matches the punchy-but-natural feel of their professional-grade color negative film, and is available in both high and standard contrast levels (see below).
- If you’re going for an authentic movie aesthetic, this will give you a flat color and low saturation look that will work well for post-production color grading.
- Eterna Bleach Bypass: This feature refines the regular Eterna look by creating a higher key, higher contrast feeling while keeping the overall desaturated look intact.
- This monochrome mode, based on the famous B&W film, has a specific tone and graininess that may be enhanced with the addition of contrast filter effects in the colors yellow, red, and green.
- Color: A straightforward and basic black and white look with the option of using the contrast filters in the colors Yellow, Red, and Green.
- Using the popular alternative method, Sepia is everyone’s favorite old-fashioned aesthetic.
Fujifilm X-T4 Specs
|MSRP||$1699 (body only), $2099 (w/18-55mm lens), $2199 (w/16-80mm lens)|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6240 x 4160|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||26 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 160-12800 (expands to 80-51200)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||80|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||51200|
|White balance presets||7|
|Custom white balance||Yes (3 slots)|
|Image stabilization notes||Some lenses limited to 5 stops of correction|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||6.5 stop(s)|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||425|
|Lens mount||Fujifilm X|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder magnification||1.16× (0.77× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/32000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||No|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe or flash sync port)|
|Continuous drive||20.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (2, 3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV steps)|
|Format||MPEG-4, H.264, H.265|
|Modes||4096 x 2160 @ 60p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 50p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 30p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 25p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 24p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 240p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 23.98p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots (UHS-II supported)|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone or wired remote)|
|Battery description||NP-W235 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||500|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||607 g (1.34 lb / 21.41 oz)|
|Dimensions||135 x 93 x 84 mm (5.31 x 3.66 x 3.31″)|