We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
The Hasselblad 907X 50C is a medium format camera system that is distinguished by its modular design. It combines design aspects from their classic film cameras with modern imaging capabilities from their digital era. As part of the 907X 50C platform, you will receive the matching CFV II 50C digital back as well as the 907X camera body, which together constitute a distinct and adaptable camera system.
In addition to being the thinnest medium format camera ever manufactured by Hasselblad (it is a little over an inch thick), the 907X is also the lightest (it weighs only 7 oz). The CFV II 50C digital back has a V interface, which is reminiscent of the 500-series V-system cameras, however, this basic camera body is mostly used as an interface between the V interface of the digital back and the X-mount, which allows users to use XCD lenses or adapted lenses from other mounts.
In addition to the bundled 907X camera, the CFV II 50C may be used with nearly any Hasselblad V camera dating back to 1957. The CFV II 50C is an upgraded and enhanced digital back that incorporates a traditional V-system interface. Constructed in the same manner as the classic A12 and A16 film backs, this digital back has been outfitted with a wide range of digital capabilities.
Its 43.8 x 32.9mm 50MP CMOS sensor captures high-resolution imagery with a wide 14-stop dynamic range and 16-bit color depth while operating within an ISO 100-25600 sensitivity range. This sensor, like the others from Hasselblad, makes use of the company’s Natural Color Solution, which produces realistic and attractive color tones with excellent consistency and smooth tonal transitions.
It also has a 3.2-inch tilting touchscreen LCD, which mimics the experience of working with a waist-level finder. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery is now housed within the device itself, which results in a more streamlined overall appearance. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi allows for wireless remote control and file sharing through Phocus Mobile 2, and an embedded GPS module allows for the recording of position data for geotagging purposes.
907X Camera Body with a CMOS sensor
The 907X is Hasselblad’s smallest medium format camera body, distinguished by its impressively compact and lightweight design. It serves as an inconspicuous interface between the V-system interface CFV II 50C digital back and the range of X-system mirrorless lenses, which are both available from Hasselblad. Due to the inclusion of an X-system lens mount, the CFV II may be used in conjunction with the autofocus and leaf shutter-enabled XCD lenses, as well as the HC, HCD, V, XPan, and other third-party lenses via available adapters, allowing for more versatility. By employing XCD lenses, the use of the 907X provides better access to wide-angle lens alternatives when compared to the V system, which is advantageous.
Digital Back with 50MP CMOS Sensor and Hasselblad Natural Color Solution (CFV II 50C Digital Back)
The CFV II 50C is built around a big 50MP CMOS sensor that measures 43.8 x 32.9mm and is capable of recording images with an extraordinarily broad dynamic range of up to 14 stops and a vibrant 16-bit color depth, among other things.
When used in conjunction with the Hasselblad Natural Color Solution, tonal transitions and skin tones exhibit incredible depth, detail, and clarity, resulting in images that are true to life, even in deep shadow and dazzling highlight zones. Still, images are stored in either the Hasselblad 3FR raw file format or as JPEGs to accommodate working in a variety of lighting circumstances. A sensitivity range of ISO 100-25600 is provided to accommodate working in a variety of lighting conditions.
Hasselblad Natural Color Solution is designed to work in conjunction with the amazing picture quality of the 50MP CMOS sensor to produce photographs with the most natural color possible without the need to experiment with different presets or a range of filters.
This system is also capable of producing images with incredibly smooth tone transitions that are evocative of analog film capture, which is due in part to the CFV II’s 16-bit color depth, which allows for the creation of images with exceptionally smooth tonal transitions.
Design on the back
- This digital back, which has a V-system interface, may be used in conjunction with the accompanying 907X camera body, with practically any Hasselblad V system film camera from 1957 or later, as well as with technical and view cameras that have a V-system mounting interface.
- The integrated 3.2″ 2.4m-dot tilting LCD has a touchscreen interface that allows for intuitive control, menu navigation, and playing of content. In addition, the upgraded screen features a fast 60 frames per second refresh rate for more fluid playing, and the screen allows autofocus point drag and drop placement as well as autofocus point size adjustments with pinch and spread finger movement as well. The screen’s tilting design also encourages a top-down viewing position, which is similar to that of using an optical waist-level finder while working.
- In order to keep the overall slimline profile evocative of A12 and A16 film backs, the camera accepts just one rechargeable lithium-ion battery from the outside. The USB Type-C connector on the back of this battery allows it to be charged from the inside out as well.
- The UHS-II protocol is supported by both of the SD memory card ports, allowing for quicker read and write rates.
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows for wireless file sharing as well as remote camera operation from a distance. Aside from that, Phocus Mobile 2 provides an extremely rich tethered shooting experience whether shooting from an iPad Pro or an iPad Air (2019).
- The USB 3.0 Type-C port may be utilized for a variety of tasks including file transmission, tethered shooting from an iPad, and in-camera battery charging when connected to a computer or charger.
- This camera has been designed specifically for use with the XCD family of lenses, which include an integrated central shutter mechanism capable of synchronization rates of up to 1/2000 second.
- Phocus Mobile 2, which is available for select iPad models, allows for the direct import, modification, and rating of raw photographs, as well as the direct import and rating of full-resolution JPEG images. Also included are support for full-resolution image export, tethered shooting, and direct camera control in Phocus Mobile 2.
- The desktop version of Phocus is capable of supporting traditional computer-based tethered shooting scenarios.
Hasselblad 907x 50c Specs
|Lens Mount||Hasselblad X|
|Sensor Resolution||Effective: 50 Megapixel (8272 x 6200)|
|Sensor Type||43.8 x 32.9 mm (Medium Format) CMOS|
|Built-In ND Filter||None|
|Capture Type||Still Only|
|Shutter Type||Electronic Shutter, Leaf Shutter|
|Shutter Speed||Mechanical Shutter|
1/2000 to 4080 Seconds
1/10000 to 4080 Seconds
|ISO Sensitivity||100 to 25,600 in Auto Mode|
|Metering Method||Center-Weighted Average, Spot|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Manual|
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 2.7 fps at 50 MP|
Still Image Capture
|Image File Format||JPEG, Raw, TIFF|
External Video Capture
|Media/Memory Card Slot||Dual Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II)|
|Other I/O||1 x USB Type-C (USB 3.2 / 3.1 Gen 1) Data Input/Output|
|Global Positioning (GPS, GLONASS, etc.)||None|
|Display Type||Tilting Touchscreen LCD|
|Focus Type||Auto and Manual Focus|
|Focus Mode||Continuous-Servo AF, Single-Servo AF|
|Autofocus Points||Contrast Detection: 117|
|Maximum Sync Speed||1/2000 Second (Leaf Shutter)|
|External Flash Connection||PC Terminal|
|Operating Temperature||14 to 113°F / -10 to 45°C|
|Battery Type||1 x Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.2 VDC, 3400 mAh|
|Tripod Mounting Thread||1 x 1/4″-20 Female (Bottom)|
|Material of Construction||Aluminum|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||4.02 x 3.66 x 3.31″ / 102 x 93 x 84 mm|
|Weight||1.63 lb / 740 g (Body with Battery and Memory)|
|Package Weight||3.955 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||7.8 x 7.8 x 4.4″|