The Hasselblad 907X Special Edition, which was released to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing on July 20, 1969, is a highly modular medium format camera system that pays homage to the legendary Hasselblad cameras used on the historic lunar mission in 1969.
This special edition camera includes the matching CFV II 50C digital back and 907X camera body, both finished in matte black, with the words “On the Moon Since 1969” emblazoned on the body of the camera.
Because it is so small and light, the 907X has the distinction of being the smallest medium format camera ever made by Hasselblad, measuring little over an inch in thickness and 7.3 ounces in weight.
The CFV II 50C digital back has a V interface, which is reminiscent of the 500-series V-system cameras, however, this basic camera body is mostly used as an interface between the V interface of the digital back and the X-mount, which allows users to use XCD lenses or adapted lenses from other mounts.
In addition to the bundled 907X camera, the CFV II 50C may be used with nearly any Hasselblad V camera dating back to 1957. The CFV II 50C is an upgraded and enhanced digital back that incorporates a traditional V-system interface. Constructed in the same manner as the classic A12 and A16 film backs, this digital back has been outfitted with a wide range of digital capabilities.
Its 43.8 x 32.9mm 50MP CMOS sensor captures high-resolution imagery with a wide 14-stop dynamic range and 16-bit color depth while operating within an ISO 100-25600 sensitivity range. This sensor, like the others from Hasselblad, makes use of the company’s Natural Color Solution, which produces realistic and attractive color tones with excellent consistency and smooth tonal transitions.
The design of the back contains a rear 3.0″ 920k-dot tilting touchscreen LCD, which is meant to mimic the feeling of working with a waist-level finder. Additionally, the rechargeable lithium-ion battery is now housed within, resulting in a more streamlined overall appearance. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi allows for wireless remote control and file sharing through Phocus Mobile 2, and an embedded GPS module allows for the recording of position data for geotagging purposes.
Since 1969, there has been a 907X Special Edition on the Moon.
To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar landing, Hasselblad has created a Special Edition of the 907X camera body with CFV II 50C digital back that honors the company’s role in the momentous event and pays tribute to the cameras that were left behind on the moon.
Designed to look like two of the three Hasselblad cameras used on the Apollo 11 mission, the 907X Special Edition has a matte black finish on both the body and the back, and the CFV II 50C back is inscribed with the words “On the Moon Since 1969.” The 907X Special Edition is available in two configurations: standard and special edition.
907X Camera Body with a CMOS sensor
The 907X is Hasselblad’s smallest medium format camera body, distinguished by its impressively compact and lightweight design. It serves as an inconspicuous interface between the V-system interface CFV II 50C digital back and the range of X-system mirrorless lenses, which are both available from Hasselblad.
Due to the inclusion of an X-system lens mount, the CFV II may be used in conjunction with the autofocus and leaf shutter-enabled XCD lenses, as well as the HC, HCD, V, XPan, and other third-party lenses via available adapters, allowing for more versatility. By employing XCD lenses, the use of the 907X provides better access to wide-angle lens alternatives when compared to the V system, which is advantageous.
Digital Back with 50MP CMOS Sensor and Hasselblad Natural Color Solution (CFV II 50C Digital Back)
The CFV II 50C is built around a big 50MP CMOS sensor that measures 43.8 x 32.9mm and is capable of recording images with an extraordinarily broad dynamic range of up to 14 stops and a vibrant 16-bit color depth, among other things. When used in conjunction with the Hasselblad Natural Color Solution, tonal transitions and skin tones exhibit incredible depth, detail, and clarity, resulting in images that are true to life, even in deep shadow and dazzling highlight zones.
Still images are stored in either the Hasselblad 3FR raw file format or as JPEGs to accommodate working in a variety of lighting circumstances. A sensitivity range of ISO 100-25600 is provided to accommodate working in a variety of lighting conditions.
Hasselblad Natural Color Solution is designed to work in conjunction with the amazing picture quality of the 50MP CMOS sensor to produce photographs with the most natural color possible without the need to experiment with different presets or a range of filters.
This system is also capable of producing images with incredibly smooth tone transitions that are evocative of analog film capture, which is due in part to the CFV II’s 16-bit color depth, which allows for the creation of images with exceptionally smooth tonal transitions.
Design on the back
- This digital back, which has a V-system interface, may be used in conjunction with the accompanying 907X camera body, with practically any Hasselblad V system film camera from 1957 or later, as well as with technical and view cameras that have a V-system mounting interface.
- This device’s integrated 3.0″ 920k-dot tilting LCD has a touchscreen interface that allows for easy control as well as menu navigation and video playing. In addition, the upgraded screen features a fast 60 frames per second refresh rate for more fluid playing, and the screen allows autofocus point drag and drop placement as well as autofocus point size adjustments with pinch and spread finger movement as well. The screen’s tilting design also encourages a top-down viewing position, which is similar to that of using an optical waist-level finder while working.
- In order to keep the overall slimline profile evocative of A12 and A16 film backs, the camera accepts just one rechargeable lithium-ion battery from the outside. The USB Type-C connector on the back of this battery allows it to be charged from the inside out as well.
- The UHS-II protocol is supported by both of the SD memory card ports, allowing for quicker read and write rates.
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows for wireless file sharing as well as remote camera operation from a distance. Aside from that, Phocus Mobile 2 provides an extremely rich tethered shooting experience whether shooting from an iPad Pro or an iPad Air (2019).
- The USB 3.0 Type-C port may be utilized for a variety of tasks including as file transmission, tethered shooting from an iPad, and in-camera battery charging when connected to a computer or charger.
- The integrated GPS module may be utilized to capture position information into image files, which can then be used for geotagging applications.
- This camera has been designed specifically for use with the XCD family of lenses, which include an integrated central shutter mechanism capable of synchronization rates of up to 1/2000 second.
- Phocus Mobile 2, which is available for the iPad Pro and iPad Air (2019), allows for the direct import, modification, and rating of raw photographs, as well as the direct import and rating of full-resolution JPEG images. Also included are support for full-resolution image export, tethered shooting, and direct camera control in Phocus Mobile 2.
- The desktop version of Phocus is capable of supporting traditional computer-based tethered shooting scenarios.
Hasselblad 907X Specs
|Lens Mount||Hasselblad X|
|Sensor Resolution||Effective: 50 Megapixel|
|Image File Format||JPEG, Raw, TIFF|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 100 to 25600|
|Shutter Type||Electronic Shutter, Leaf Shutter|
|Shutter Speed||Mechanical Shutter|
1/2000 to 4080 Second
1/10000 to 4080 Second
|Metering Method||Center-Weighted Average, Spot|
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 2.7 fps at 50 MP|
|Focus Type||Auto and Manual Focus|
|Focus Mode||Continuous-Servo AF, Single-Servo AF|
|Autofocus Points||Contrast Detection: 117|
|Display Type||Tilting Touchscreen LCD|
|Maximum Sync Speed||1/2000 Second (Leaf Shutter)|
|External Flash Connection||Proprietary|
|Media/Memory Card Slot||Dual Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II)|
|Connectivity||USB Type-C (USB 3.0)|
|Operating Temperature||14 to 113°F / -10 to 45°C|
|Battery Type||1 x Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.2 VDC, 3400 mAh|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||4.02 x 3.66 x 3.31″ / 102 x 93 x 84 mm|
|Weight||1.9 lb / 865 g (Body with Battery and Memory)|
|Package Weight||3.96 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||7.9 x 7.9 x 4.5″|