We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
The H6D-400c MS from Hasselblad is a specialist medium format camera system that is differentiated by its unique multi-shot capabilities in addition to offering extremely high resolution and color accuracy.
Multi-shot capture records up to six successive pictures and automatically combines them into a single 400MP-equivalent frame with substantially higher color depth and an almost perfect lack of moiré and aliasing as compared to typical single-shot capture.
This camera system, which is based on the H6D-100c platform and its 100MP 53.4 x 40mm CMOS sensor, contributes to the realization of these amazing recording capabilities while also enabling high-resolution single-shot shooting.
A wide sensitivity range of ISO 64-12800, 16-bit color depth, and a dynamic range of up to 15 stops are provided by the CMOS architecture, allowing for the preservation of significant detail and quality even while working in the most challenging lighting circumstances.
It is also possible to capture UHD 4K and Full HD video at 30 frames per second in the Hasselblad Raw format when combined with an improved electrical platform with quicker processing capabilities.
Aside from enhanced photography, the H6D also features increased connection, thanks to the addition of a USB 3.0 Type-C connector, which allows for faster 5 Gb/s transfer speeds and more fluid tethered shooting performance.
For live view shooting and straightforward settings management, a bright, clear 3.0″ 920k-dot touchscreen LCD panel is built into the camera’s rear, and an HDMI connector is provided for connecting to larger external monitors. Using the twin memory card slots-one CFast slot and one SD slot-inside the camera, it is possible to store files in the camera, and files may also be saved remotely when shooting tethered via USB 3.0.
When combined with an iOS smartphone running the Phocus Mobile software, built-in Wi-Fi may be utilized to manage the camera from a distance while also allowing users to preview images and explore data.
Capture up to 400MP in a single shot.
This multi-shot system, as opposed to a typical single-shot system, allows you to record either four or six successive exposures, which are then automatically blended into a single frame in order to provide higher color clarity that is free of undesirable moiré and aliasing.
During each multi-shot capture, the sensor physically moves in small increments between exposures, powered by piezo motors, in order to collect the complete RGB data for each pixel, resulting in improved color resolution, sharpness, and clarity for the images captured.
Using this 400c back, you can shoot in 4-shot or 6-shot modes, with the ability to output up to a TIFF file with a resolution of up to 400MP equivalent and a size of up to 2.4GB in 16-bit color.
Sensor with a resolution of 100 Megapixels
The H6D-400c MS is built around a large 100MP CMOS sensor with a sensor size of 53.4 x 40.0mm and is capable of capturing images with an extremely wide dynamic range of up to 15 stops and a vivid 16-bit color depth. The sensor is also capable of capturing images with an extremely wide dynamic range of up to 15 stops.
When used in conjunction with the Hasselblad Natural Color Solution, tonal transitions and skin tones exhibit incredible depth, detail, and clarity, resulting in images that are true to life, even in deep shadow and dazzling highlight zones.
For working in different lighting settings, a sensitivity range of ISO 64 to 12800 is available, and still images are recorded in the Hasselblad 3FR raw file format, which can be read by other cameras.
Video in Ultra High Definition (4K) and Full HD
In addition to high-resolution still photography, the H6D is capable of recording UHD 4K and Full HD 1080p video at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. With Phocus 3.0 software, videos may be stored in the proprietary Hasselblad Raw format, which can then be converted to the edit-friendly Apple ProRes format for further processing. It is also possible to save full HD video in the H.264 compressed format, which allows for greater editing freedom with a wider range of software alternatives.
Designing a System and Connecting It
- With a 3.0″ 920k-dot touchscreen LCD built-in, you can navigate and alter settings in a simple manner, while simultaneously seeing the live video in brilliant, clear clarity.
- The USB 3.0 Type-C port can carry data at speeds of up to 5 Gb/s, allowing for speedy and responsive tethered live view and still capture operations.
- Tethering is supported, and there are two memory card ports on the rear for additional storage capacity and versatility. One CFast card is available for users with the camera for rapid read/write rates, which are required for continuous shooting or UHD 4K video recording, and one SD card slot is available for backup storage and wide compatibility with current memory cards and card readers.
- With the ability to utilize an optional external display for crisp monitoring, a mini-HDMI connector is advantageous for video applications as well as for dealing with the back of technical view cameras. Aside from that, audio in/out connectors is supplied to allow for more flexible control over audio recording when the video is being recorded.
- Working with an iOS mobile device and the Phocus Mobile app is made possible by the built-in Wi-Fi, which allows for remote camera control, wireless image previews, and file browsing.
- Compact and lightweight, the HC and HCD lenses are compatible with the new line of HC and HCD lenses, which have an upgraded leaf shutter unit that allows for faster shutter and flash sync rates up to 1/2000 sec.
- In a modular system, the H6D is composed of three parts: the digital back, the camera body, and an HVD 90x viewfinder that comes with the camera. In addition to the supplied components, optional viewfinders, film backs, and other accessories can be utilized in connection with the digital back or the H6D body in addition to the ones that are included.
- To complement the capabilities of the H6D, Phocus 3.0 is a free image processing software package that provides a range of editing capabilities, including automatic moiré detection and the ability to work with adjustment layers for applying exposure and white balance corrections, as well as the ability to edit video.
- What’s in the Box
- Hasselblad H6D-400c MS Medium Format DSLR Camera with HVD 90X Viewfinder Hasselblad H6D-400c MS Medium Format DSLR Camera with HVD 90X Viewfinder (Black)
- Hasselblad Li-Ion 3200 Battery Grip for H Cameras with Rechargeable Li-Ion 3200 Battery (7.2V, 3200mAh)
- Charger for a battery
- USB 3.0 Adapter
- A limited 2-year warranty is included with this Hasselblad Body Front Cap for H Series Cameras.
- Not Included with the Box
- Memory Cards are a must-have (Not Included)
- The Most Important Lenses (Not Included)
Hasselblad H6D-400c MS Specs
|Lens Mount||Hasselblad H|
|Sensor Resolution||Effective: 100 Megapixel (11,600 x 8700)|
|Sensor Type||53.4 x 40 mm (Medium Format) CMOS|
|Capture Type||Stills & Video|
|Shutter Type||Leaf Shutter|
|Shutter Speed||1/2000 to 60 Minutes|
|ISO Sensitivity||64 to 12,800|
|Metering Range||2 to 21 EV (Spot)|
1 to 21 EV (Center-Weighted Average)
1 to 21 EV (Center Spot)
Still Image Capture
|Image File Format||Raw|
Internal Video Capture
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 25p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 25p
External Video Capture
|External Recording Modes||HDMI|
Full HD (1920 x 1080)
|Media/Memory Card Slot||Slot 1: CFast|
Slot 2: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-I)
|Video I/O||1 x Mini-HDMI Output|
|Audio I/O||1 x 1/8″ / 3.5 mm TRS Stereo Headphone Output|
1 x 1/8″ / 3.5 mm TRS Stereo Microphone Input
|Other I/O||1 x USB Type-C (USB 3.2 / 3.1 Gen 1) Data Output|
1 x Hasselblad Cord H Input
1 x 2.5 mm Sub-Mini FlashSync Input
1 x 3.5 mm FlashSync Output
|Power I/O||1 x DC Input|
|Global Positioning (GPS, GLONASS, etc.)||None|
|Display Type||Fixed Touchscreen LCD|
|Secondary Display||Top: Status Display|
|Type||Built-In Electronic (LCD)|
|Diopter Adjustment||-5 to +3.5|
|Focus Type||Auto and Manual Focus|
|Autofocus Sensitivity||1 to +19 EV|
|Guide Number||39.4′ / 12 m|
|Maximum Sync Speed||None|
|Flash Compensation||-3 to +3 EV|
|Dedicated Flash System||TTL|
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe, PC Terminal|
|Operating Temperature||14 to 113°F / -10 to 45°C|
|Battery Type||1 x 3200 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Grip, 7.2 VDC, 3200 mAh|
|Tripod Mounting Thread||1 x 1/4″-20 Female (Bottom)|
1 x 3/8″-16 Female (Bottom)
|Accessory Mount||1 x Hot Shoe Mount|
|Material of Construction||Steel, Aluminum|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||6 x 5.2 x 4.8″ / 153 x 131 x 122 mm (Excluding Protrusions)|
|Weight||3.7 lb / 1678 g (Body with Battery and Memory)|
|Package Weight||6.995 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||10.95 x 10.9 x 7″|