We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
The Leica Q2 Reporter Edition Digital Camera has been meticulously designed to fulfill the demands of reportage and press photography. It is differentiated by its upgraded design and purposefully understated look, which makes it a standout among similar cameras.
Both the red Leica dot on the front of the camera and the inscription on the top plate have been subtly removed, allowing you to work without drawing excessive attention to yourself. The Reporter Edition also includes Kevlar body armor, which is a synthetic material that is recognized for its outstanding strength and resistance to impact.
It will take time for the material’s color to change due to exposure to natural UV radiation until it matches the dark green, the extremely scratch-resistant finish of the camera body. The Leica Q2 Reporter, in addition to these characteristics, have the same level of protection against dust and water intrusion as the original Q2.
The upgraded sensor design and straightforward operation of this specialized sophisticated compact camera set it apart from the competition. High-resolution stills shooting, as well as DCI and UHD 4K video recording, are all feasible thanks to the camera’s upgraded full-frame 47.3MP CMOS sensor and Maestro II image processor.
The image processor also adds to the camera’s wide ISO sensitivity range of 50 to 50,000 as well as its rapid 10-frames-per-second full-resolution continuous shooting. Additionally, the increased resolution allows for a variety of unique crop settings that replicate shooting with larger focal length lenses, such as 35mm, 50mm, and 75mm fields of view, among other things.
For remarkable resolution and clarity, the camera is equipped with the same amazing wide-angle prime Summilux 28mm f/1.7 ASPH. fixed lens, which has been specially designed to work with the sensor design.
There are three aspherical elements in the construction of the lens, and its brilliant maximum aperture of f/1.7 is well suited for working in low-light circumstances. Additionally, a macro option allows you to deal with things as near as 6.7 inches away “a long way away
In addition to its photographic and optical capabilities, the Q2 Reporter Edition is a very small and straightforward camera, making it particularly well suited for street and travel photography. In order to function in challenging settings, its elegant magnesium alloy chassis is protected by a Kevlar coating.
It also uses the same battery as the flagship SL mirrorless camera, which results in longer battery life and a more compact design. It is equipped with a high-resolution 3.68MP OLED electronic viewfinder for smooth and crisp eye-level monitoring, as well as a 3.0MP camera on the back “In addition, the 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD allows for simple playback and settings management.
Through the use of the Leica FOTOS app, the built-in Bluetooth LE and Wi-Fi enable wireless sharing and remote camera control from a mobile device that is connected to the camera.
Full-frame CMOS sensor with 47.3MP resolution and Maestro II processor
This camera’s imaging system has been completely redeveloped, and it includes a 47.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor and an updated Maestro II image processor, which allows for more flexible image creation as well as smooth color and tonal rendering, a broad 13-stop dynamic range, low noise, and a wide sensitivity range from ISO 50 to ISO 50000.
Processing capabilities also enable the camera to shoot at high speeds, up to 10 frames per second at full resolution when using a mechanical shutter, and to have an autofocus system that is particularly quick, with a 49-area system. Still, images can be captured as 14-bit DNG files or JPEG images. Unique digital zoom capabilities are enabled by the increased resolution, which allows users to mimic working with different focal length lenses.
For example, 30MP photographs may be made with a 35mm field of view, 15MP images with a 50mm field of view, and 7MP images with a 75mm field of view.
In addition to still photography, the Q2 has enhanced video recording capabilities, including the ability to record in both DCI 4K24p and UHD 4K30p resolutions, as well as high-speed Full HD recording at up to 120p.
The Summilux 28mm f/1.7 ASPH. the lens has a maximum aperture of f/1.7.
The inclusion of a fixed Summilux 28mm f/1.7 wide-angle primary lens in the Q-series is a significant factor in the success of the camera. This lens, which combines Leica’s optical expertise with a design that is precisely suited to the image sensor, has three aspherical elements to limit distortion and spherical aberrations, resulting in a clear and accurate depiction of images.
Its quick f/1.7 maximum aperture performs admirably in low-light situations and allows for greater control over depth of focus in portraiture. A specialized macro focusing position may also be utilized to deal with targets as near as 6.7 inches away, further increasing the camera’s flexibility.
In addition to this, optical image stabilization helps to compensate for the impacts of camera shake, resulting in clearer handheld photography.
Design of the Body
- High-resolution 3.68MP (1280 x 960) OLED electronic viewfinder with eye-level viewing gives a clean and realistic manner of framing your shots. In addition, an improved eye sensor allows for faster-automated switching between the EVF and the back LCD screen.
- The rear 3.0″ 1.04m-dot LCD has a touchscreen interface that allows for straightforward navigation and playing, as well as the ability to touch to focus on a subject or object.
- For usage in tough environmental circumstances, a magnesium alloy body with a Kevlar synthetic fiber covering provides dust and moisture sealing capability while being lightweight.
- The M10-P Reporter has an unobtrusive design that is supplemented with complementing features that complement the overall idea.
- The design is understated, with no Leica branding on the front and no inscription on the top.
- Scratch and fingerprint resistance are provided by the matte green surface.
- The usage of the BP-SCL4 battery, which is compatible with the SL (Typ 601) mirrorless camera, results in an increased capacity of 370 shots per charge, and the physical design of the battery features a rubber gasket to further strengthen the overall weather sealing of the camera.
- Improvements in haptics, similar to those found in the M10 and CL-series cameras, emphasize a more straightforward user interface, which includes a single-stage On/Off button, a three-button rear control set, an additional programmable button within the thumb-wheel dial, a push-button diopter adjustment, and a distinctive thumb grip.
- Flash sync rates of up to 1/500 second are possible with a mechanical shutter.
- The lens has a filter thread with a diameter of 49mm that may be used to connect extra filters.
- Accepts a single SD-type memory card and is compatible with the UHS II transfer protocol.
- When used in conjunction with the Leica FOTOS software for iOS and Android, the Q2’s built-in Wi-Fi allows for direct image sharing to a connected mobile device as well as remote control over the camera and remote shooting through a live view image. Besides that, Bluetooth LE helps to maintain a persistent connection between the mobile device and the camera, allowing for remote waking of the camera and automatic connecting at any time when the devices are within range of one another.
Leica Q2 Reporter Specs
|Sensor Resolution||Actual: 50.4 Megapixel|
Effective: 47.3 Megapixel (8368 x 5584)
|Sensor Type||Full-Frame CMOS|
|Image File Format||DNG, JPEG|
|Digital Zoom||2.7x Maximum|
|Focus Range||11.81″ to Infinity / 30 cm to Infinity|
6.69″ to Infinity / 17 cm to Infinity
|Optical Design||11 Elements in 9 Groups|
|Filter Size||49 mm|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 50 to 50000|
|Shutter Speed||Mechanical Shutter|
1/2000 to 60 Seconds
1/40000 to 1 Second
|Metering Method||Center-Weighted Average, Multi, Spot|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority|
|Exposure Compensation||-3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps)|
|White Balance||Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Custom, Daylight, Flash, Incandescent, Shade|
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 10 fps|
|Special Options||Fireworks, Landscape, Miniature Effect, Night Portrait, Panorama, Portrait, Sports, Sunset|
DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) at 24.00p
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 24.00p/29.97p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 24.00p/29.97p/59.94p/119.88p
|Audio Recording||Built-In Microphone (Stereo)|
|Audio File Format||AAC|
|Diopter Adjustment||-4 to +3|
|Display Type||Fixed Touchscreen LCD|
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe|
|Media/Memory Card Slot||Single Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Battery Type||1 x BP-SCL4 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.2 VDC, 1860 mAh (Approx. 370 Shots)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||5.1 x 3.1 x 3.6″ / 130 x 80 x 91.9 mm|
|Weight||1.58 lb / 718 g (Body with Battery)|
|Package Weight||4.795 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||9.3 x 8.7 x 6.6″|