The Leica Q2 is a sophisticated compact camera that has been redeveloped while maintaining its remarkable image and optical characteristics. It is distinguished by its improved sensor design and straightforward operation.
High-resolution stills shooting, as well as DCI and UHD 4K video recording, are all feasible thanks to the camera’s upgraded full-frame 47.3MP CMOS sensor and Maestro II image processor. The image processor also adds to the camera’s wide ISO sensitivity range of 50 to 50,000 as well as its rapid 10-frames-per-second full-resolution continuous shooting.
Additionally, the increased resolution enables a variety of unique Crop Modes, which replicate working with larger focal length lenses, such as 35mm, 50mm, and 75mm fields of view, to be utilized.
The Q2 is equipped with a fixed Summilux 28mm f/1.7 ASPH. wide-angle primary lens, which has been optimized for the sensor design to provide high resolution and clarity, as has been the case with the Q1. There are three aspherical elements in the construction of the lens, and its brilliant maximum aperture of f/1.7 is well suited for working in low-light circumstances.
Additionally, a macro option allows you to deal with things as near as 6.7 inches away “a long way away
In addition to its photographic and optical capabilities, the Q2 is a very small and straightforward camera, making it particularly well suited for street and travel photography. Its elegant magnesium alloy shell is weather-resistant, allowing it to be used in challenging settings, and it uses the same battery as the flagship SL mirrorless camera, allowing it to operate for extended periods of time.
It is equipped with a high-resolution 3.68MP OLED electronic viewfinder for smooth and crisp eye-level monitoring, as well as a 3.0MP camera on the back “In addition, the 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD allows for simple playback and settings management.
Through the use of the Leica FOTOS app, the built-in Bluetooth LE and Wi-Fi enable wireless sharing and remote camera control from a mobile device that is connected to the camera.
Full-frame CMOS sensor with 47.3MP resolution and Maestro II processor
This camera’s imaging system has been completely redeveloped, and it includes a 47.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor and an updated Maestro II image processor, which allows for more flexible image creation as well as smooth color and tonal rendering, a broad 13-stop dynamic range, low noise, and a wide sensitivity range from ISO 50 to ISO 50000.
Processing skills also enable the camera to shoot at high speeds, up to 10 frames per second at full resolution when using a mechanical shutter, and to have a focusing system that is very speedy, with a 49-area system.
Still, images can be captured as 14-bit DNG files or JPEG images. Unique digital zoom capabilities are enabled by the increased resolution, which allows users to mimic working with different focal length lenses. For example, 30MP photographs may be made with a 35mm field of view, 15MP images with a 50mm field of view, and 7MP images with a 75mm field of view.
In addition to still photography, the Q2 has enhanced video recording capabilities, including the ability to record in both DCI 4K24p and UHD 4K30p resolutions, as well as high-speed Full HD recording at up to 120p.
The Summilux 28mm f/1.7 ASPH Lens.
The inclusion of a fixed Summilux 28mm f/1.7 wide-angle primary lens in the Q-series is a significant factor in the success of the camera. This lens, which combines Leica’s optical expertise with a design that is precisely suited to the image sensor, has three aspherical elements to limit distortion and spherical aberrations, resulting in a clear and accurate depiction of images.
Its quick f/1.7 maximum aperture performs admirably in low-light situations and allows for greater control over depth of focus in portraiture. A specialized macro focusing position may also be utilized to deal with targets as near as 6.7 inches away, increasing the camera’s versatility “a long way away Additional to this, optical image stabilization helps to compensate for the impacts of camera shake, resulting in clearer handheld photography.
Design of the Body
- High-resolution 3.68MP (1280 x 960) OLED electronic viewfinder with eye-level viewing gives a clean and realistic manner of framing your shots. In addition, an improved eye sensor allows for faster-automated switching between the EVF and the back LCD screen.
- 3.0 in the rear “The 1.04m-dot LCD has a touchscreen design that allows for intuitive navigation and playing, as well as the ability to touch to focus the image on the screen.
- In order to be used in tough environmental circumstances, the body is made of lightweight magnesium alloy that is dust and moisture-sealed (IP52-rated).
- The usage of the BP-SCL4 battery, which is compatible with the SL (Typ 601) mirrorless camera, results in an increased capacity of 370 shots per charge, and the physical design of the battery features a rubber gasket to further strengthen the overall weather sealing of the camera.
- Improvements in haptics, similar to those found in the M10 and CL-series cameras, emphasize a more straightforward user interface, which includes a single-stage On/Off button, a three-button rear control set, an additional programmable button within the thumb-wheel dial, a push-button diopter adjustment, and a distinctive thumb grip.
- Flash sync rates of up to 1/500 second are possible with a mechanical shutter.
- The lens has a filter thread with a diameter of 49mm that may be used to connect extra filters.
- Accepts a single SD-type memory card and is compatible with the UHS-II transfer protocol.
- When used in conjunction with the Leica FOTOS software for iOS and Android, the Q2’s built-in Wi-Fi allows for direct image sharing to a connected mobile device as well as remote control over the camera and remote shooting through a live view image. Besides that, Bluetooth LE helps to maintain a persistent connection between the mobile device and the camera, allowing for remote waking of the camera and automatic connecting at any time when the devices are within range of one another.
Leica Q2 Specs
|Body type||Large sensor compact|
|Max resolution||8368 x 5584|
|Other resolutions||28mm: 6000 x 4000, 4272 x 2848 | 35mm: 6704 x 4472, 4800 x 3200, 3424 x 2288 | 50mm: 4688 x 3128, 3360 x 2240, 2400 x 1600 | 75mm: 3136 x 2096, 2240 x 1496, 1600 x 1072|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2|
|Effective pixels||47 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||50 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (36 x 24 mm)|
|White balance presets||5|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|Focal length (Equiv.)||28 mm|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Multi-areaCenterSelective single-pointSingleContinuousTouchLive View|
|Digital zoom||Yes (1.2x (35mm equiv), 1.5x (50mm equiv), 2x (75mm))|
|Normal focus range||30 cm (11.81″)|
|Macro focus range||17 cm (6.69″)|
|Number of focus points||49|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||60 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/2000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/40000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Continuous drive||20.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 12 secs)|
|Exposure compensation||±3 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3 frames at 1/3 EV steps)|
|Wireless notes||WiFi and Bluetooth Low Energy|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Environmentally sealed||Yes (IP52 rated)|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||350|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||734 g (1.62 lb / 25.89 oz)|
|Dimensions||130 x 80 x 92 mm (5.12 x 3.15 x 3.62″)|