Leica’s historic appearance is combined with current, hybrid functionality to create the SL2-S, which is a well-rounded full-frame mirrorless camera that excels in both photography and videography.
The 24.6MP sensor is based on Leica’s first BSI CMOS sensor and provides DCI/UHD 4K 10-bit video recording, a wide sensitivity range of ISO 50-100,000, and vibrant picture quality with low noise. The camera is equipped with a Leica AF-S lens.
Additionally, the improved Maestro III image processor provides high-speed performance and adaptability throughout the whole camera system. Full-resolution DNG continuous shooting at up to 25 frames per second is feasible, as is 4K video at up to 60 frames per second or Full HD video at up to 180 frames per second.
Furthermore, in keeping with the hybrid concept, Leica has integrated distinct Photo and Video menu systems, which allow for more intuitive navigation and settings management when working in any mode of operation.
Designed to work with both picture and video applications, a 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization technology helps to reduce the impression of camera wobble, allowing for crisper handheld photography.
A Leica Object Detection Autofocus technology is also included in the sensor’s architecture, which employs 225 customizable AF zones for fast and precise performance.
On top of its enhanced image quality, the SL2-S has a rugged, weather-sealed housing design that incorporates a 5.76m-dot EyeRes OLED EVF and an expansive 3.2-inch 2.1-m-dot touchscreen LCD.
A top-mounted status LCD allows for instant recognition of shooting settings, and two SD memory card ports, both of which are UHS-II capable, provide more file-saving options. Aside from that, the camera’s built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth function in combination with the Leica FOTOs app provides wireless file sharing and remote camera operation.
Full-frame BSI CMOS sensor with 24.6MP resolution and Maestro III processor
The SL2-S is equipped with a full-frame 24.6MP BSI CMOS sensor that is very adaptable and can be used for both stills and video applications. Combining this with the Maestro III image processor ensures that the camera performs quickly while still providing a wide ISO 50-100,000 sensitivity range.
The sensor’s backside illumination (BSI) architecture also encourages very clean and smooth color and tone reproduction, as well as decreased noise while operating at higher ISO levels. In addition, the sensor’s architecture does not include a low-pass filter, allowing for the maximum possible level of sharpness and resolution.
Additionally, beyond image quality, the processing power allows for quick continuous shooting at speeds of up to 25 frames per second with an electronic shutter or 9 frames per second with a mechanical shutter, and a 4GB buffer allows for virtually limitless burst shooting of full-resolution DNG or JPEG files.
Video Recording in DCI/UHD 4K 10-Bit Resolution
The SL2-S is a very competent video camera that can record in both DCI and UHD 4K up to 60p at up to 60 frames per second utilizing either the full-frame sensor area or an APS-C/Super 35mm crop. Internal 10-bit 4:2:2 recording is supported for frame rates up to 30p, while internal 8-bit 4:2:0 recording is accessible for frame rates up to 60p.
Ten-bit output is supported at all frame rates for both DCI and UHD 4K when recording externally using the full-size HDMI connection on the camera. It is also possible to record in full HD with high-speed frame rates of up to 180 frames per second for slow-motion playback. Aside from that, there are no recording limits imposed at any resolution or frame rate, allowing for longer recording sessions.
The video quality may be enhanced further by the use of a specific Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) mode and L-Log gamma profile, which can be utilized for in-camera HDR output or to increase highlight and shadow clarity and greater flexibility when color grading during post-production.
Also included are integrated viewing LUTs, which provide greater color management and accuracy. In order to reduce data loss, video recordings can be divided into 1-minute segments, and a color bar serves as a guide for accurate color grading and sound control during postproduction.
Additionally, separate 3.5mm ports are provided for the use of an external microphone and headphones, which improves the overall audio quality. It is possible to divide a video recording into 1-minute chunks in order to minimize data loss.
Design of the Body
- The L lens mount, which may be used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, is a flexible interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm that allows it to be used with a wide range of optical systems.
- In addition to a crisp 0.78x customizable viewing magnification and a fast 120 frames per second refresh rate, the EyeRes EVF has a 0.005-second latency and a high-resolution 5.76 million dot OLED display.
- The large 3.2″ 2.1m-dot touchscreen LCD provides a bright, crisp way of filming in live view as well as playing back and navigating through menus. This screen, like the previous one, is made of Gorilla Glass, which makes it extremely robust.
- Separate photo and video menu systems reduce the need to re-adjust settings when moving between the picture and video modes, resulting in a more intuitive workflow, especially when shooting several types of footage in a single shot. Separate photo and video menu systems are also available.
- In addition to the rear LCD, a 1.28″ top status LCD may be utilized for rapid evaluation of shooting settings, even when the camera is not switched on, even when the camera is powered off.
- Extremely durable magnesium-alloy design that is splash, dust, and freezeproof (IP54-rated) allows users to operate in challenging areas and extreme weather conditions without sacrificing performance.
- A pair of SD memory card ports that are compatible with UHS-II provide flexibility in picture storage, enabling you to separate raw and JPEG images to distinct cards, save duplicate photos to both cards, or simply double your storage capacity with overflow recording, among other things.
- With a USB Type-C connector, you can transfer files quickly, tether with full support for Capture One 21 and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, and charge the camera’s battery at a rapid speed. Additionally, a full-size HDMI Type-A connector is provided for video applications, and 3.5mm microphone and headphone ports are provided for sophisticated audio recording requirements.
- According to the manufacturer, the BP-SCL4 rechargeable lithium-ion battery can provide around 510 shots per charge.
- With built-in Wi-Fi and the Leica FOTOS software for iOS and Android, it is possible to share photos directly to a linked mobile device, as well as manage the camera remotely and shoot remotely using a live view image from the camera. Besides that, Bluetooth LE helps to maintain a persistent connection between the mobile device and the camera, allowing for remote waking of the camera and automatic connecting at any time when the devices are within range of one another.
- Image Stabilization Due to Sensor-Shift
- Providing the sharpest possible images while shooting handheld, 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization adjusts for a wide variety of movement types to produce images that are crisper and more detailed.
The SL2-S also has a Multishot mode, which captures and compiles eight different exposures into a single 96MP file, thanks to sensor-shift stabilization technology. This mode, which is best suited for static scenes and while working on a tripod, generates a more highly detailed and color-correct image than a single shot alone can produce, and it produces an image with a resolution of 12000 x 8000 pixels, which is the highest possible resolution.
System for Object Detection and Autofocus
A Leica Object Detection AF system evaluates the distance between subjects and adjusts the focusing position in real-time, with sensor and lens communication occurring at speeds of up to 480 frames per second for improved autofocus performance in low light.
This contrast-detection-type focus mechanism is beneficial for both still and video recording modes, as well as subject tracking apps that make use of the Body Detection mode, which is enabled by default.
Automatic Follow Focus, which provides three focus points for automatic focus shift during video recording, is also included. The camera has 225 customizable AF regions, which gives you considerable control over where the camera will focus.
Leica SL2-S Specs
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (36 x 24 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-50000 (expands to 50-50000)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||50|
|White balance presets||8|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||5.5 stop(s)|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Multi-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||225|
|Lens mount||Leica L|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||1800 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/16000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Continuous drive||20.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (12 or 2 sec)|
|Exposure compensation||±3 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3, 5 frames at 1/3 EV steps)|
|Modes||4096 x 2160 @ 60p / 150 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 50p / 150 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 30p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 25p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 24p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 150 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 150 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 20 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 100p / 20 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 23.98p / 200 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage included||Dual SD card slots (UHS-II supported)|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (10-bit output)|
|Wireless notes||802.11ac + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Environmentally sealed||Yes (IP54)|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||510|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||931 g (2.05 lb / 32.84 oz)|
|Dimensions||146 x 107 x 83 mm (5.75 x 4.21 x 3.27″)|