The Leica SL2 is a second-generation SL camera, and it combines sophisticated design with versatile imaging capabilities. It is the second-generation SL camera to combines appropriate picture and video characteristics with a refined design.
With a 47.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor and the Maestro III image processor, the camera’s fast and fluent performance allows for up to 20 frames per second continuous shooting, 6 frames per second with AF-C, 5K video at 30 frames per second, and DCI 4K60 video with 10-bit color sampling, among other things.
Furthermore, the sensor’s architecture contains a Leica Object Detection autofocus technology, which employs 225 customizable AF zones to provide quick and precise autofocus performance. An image stabilization technology with five axes of sensor-shift, which works in conjunction with picture and video applications, helps to reduce the impression of camera wobble and allows for clearer handheld shooting.
Aside from improved image, the SL2 also has a revised body design that incorporates a new 5.76m-dot EyeRes OLED EVF and a big 3.2″ 2.1m-dot touchscreen LCD with a resolution of 2.1 million dots. A top-mounted status LCD allows for instant recognition of shooting settings, and two SD memory card ports, both of which are UHS-II capable, provide more file-saving options.
Aside from that, the camera’s built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth function in combination with the Leica FOTOs app provides wireless file sharing and remote camera operation.
Full-frame CMOS sensor with 47.3MP resolution and Maestro III processor
The SL2’s imaging capabilities, which include a full-frame 47.3MP CMOS sensor and the Maestro III image processor, have been tuned for high-resolution recording while still providing significant sensitivity, a broad 14-stop dynamic range, and a variety of recording modes.
In order to preserve the maximum possible level of sharpness and resolution, the sensor’s design does not include a low-pass filter.
Noise levels are further reduced throughout the sensitivity range of ISO 50 to ISO 50000 when used in conjunction with the Maestro processor, and processing capabilities are enhanced to allow for fast full-resolution continuous shooting speeds of up to 20 frames per second with an electronic shutter, 10 frames per second with a mechanical shutter, and 6 frames per second with a mechanical shutter and AF-C, for a total of up to 78 consecutive DNG files.
Video Recording in 5K and 4K Resolution
Apart from still photography, the SL2 is a competent video camera that can record up to 5K (4992 x 3744) resolution with 10-bit color and in a variety of formats including DCI, UHD 4K, and Full HD resolutions. Additionally, high-speed recording options for UHD 4K60 with 30 fps playback and Full HD 180 fps with 30 fps playback provide 2x and 6x slower motion, respectively, as compared to standard recording modes.
When used in conjunction with high-definition video, the specialized Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) Photo Style mode and L-Log gamma profile can be employed to enhance highlight and shadow details while also providing additional versatility when color grading.
The HDMI Type-A port also allows for the connection of an optional external recorder, and the 3.5mm ports on the back of the monitor allow for the connection of an external microphone and headphones.
Design of the Body
- The L lens mount, which may be used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, is a flexible interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm that allows it to be used with a wide range of optical systems.
- One of the most amazing features of the EyeRes EVF is that it is a high-resolution 5.76m-dot OLED finder that offers a clear 0.78x customizable viewing magnification as well as smooth 120 frames per second refresh rate, 0.005-second latency, and a contrast ratio of 10,000:1.
- The large 3.2″ 2.1m-dot touchscreen LCD provides a bright, crisp way of filming in live view as well as playing back and navigating through menus. This screen, like the previous one, is made of Gorilla Glass, which makes it extremely robust.
- In addition to the rear LCD, a 1.28″ top status LCD may be utilized for rapid evaluation of shooting settings, even when the camera is not switched on, even when the camera is powered off.
- Durable magnesium-alloy construction that is splash, dust, and freezeproof allows you to operate in the most challenging situations and in extreme weather conditions.
- A pair of SD memory card ports that are compatible with UHS-II provide flexibility in picture storage, enabling you to separate raw and JPEG images to distinct cards, save duplicate photos to both cards, or simply double your storage capacity with overflow recording, among other things.
- A USB Type-C interface enables rapid file transfer as well as high-speed battery charging while the camera is in use. Additionally, an HDMI Type A connector is advantageous for video applications, and 3.5mm microphone and headphone ports are appropriate for sophisticated audio recording requirements.
- When used in conjunction with the rear monitor, the BP-SCL4 rechargeable lithium-ion battery has a capacity of about 370 shots per charge.
- When used in conjunction with the Leica FOTOS software for iOS and Android, the Q2’s built-in Wi-Fi allows for direct image sharing to a connected mobile device as well as remote control over the camera and remote shooting through a live view image. Besides that, Bluetooth LE helps to maintain a persistent connection between the mobile device and the camera, allowing for remote waking of the camera and automatic connecting at any time when the devices are within range of one another.
- Image Stabilization Due to Sensor-Shift
- Providing the sharpest possible images while shooting handheld, 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization adjusts for a wide variety of movement types to produce images that are crisper and more detailed.
Multishot mode, which makes use of sensor-shift stabilization technology, allows you to shoot and combine eight different exposures into a single 187MP raw or JPEG image using the SL2’s sensor-shift stabilization technology.
This mode, which is best suited for static scenes and while working on a tripod, generates a more highly detailed and color correct image than a single shot alone, and it produces an image with a resolution of 16736 × 11168 pixels, which is higher than the resolution of a single shot alone.
System for Object Detection and Autofocus
A Leica Object Detection AF system evaluates the distance between subjects and adjusts the focusing position in real-time, with sensor and lens communication occurring at speeds of up to 480 frames per second for improved autofocus performance in low light.
This contrast-detection-type focus mechanism is beneficial for both still and video recording modes, as well as subject tracking apps that make use of the Body Detection mode, which is enabled by default. It also has 225 adjustable AF zones, which allows you to have complete control over where the camera will concentrate its attention.
Leica SL2 Specs
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||8368 x 5584|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2|
|Effective pixels||47 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (36 x 24 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-50000 (expands to 50-50000)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||50|
|White balance presets||8|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||5.5 stop(s)|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Multi-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||225|
|Lens mount||Leica L|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||1800 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/40000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Continuous drive||20.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||-3–5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3, 5 frames at 1/3 EV steps)|
|Modes||4096 x 2160 @ 60p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 50p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 30p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 25p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM4096 x 2160 @ 24p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 60p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 50p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 23.98p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 100p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 23.98p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage included||Dual SD card slots (UHS-II supported)|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (10-bit output)|
|Wireless notes||802.11ac + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||370|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||916 g (2.02 lb / 32.31 oz)|
|Dimensions||146 x 107 x 83 mm (5.75 x 4.21 x 3.27″)|