The black Leica TL2 is a minimalist and straightforward camera system that is suitable for photographers seeking a tiny, yet competent image system that is up to date with the newest technologies. It retains the unibody construction of its predecessors and is created in Germany from a single block of aluminum for durability, but it also incorporates a newly built 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor as well as the Maestro II CPU, which represents a significant development over the previous model.
This offers a variety of high-end capabilities, such as 20-frame-per-second photography with an electronic shutter, UHD 4K video at 30 frames-per-second, and Full HD video at 60 frames-per-second. With the addition of a new electronic shutter, which can achieve shutter speeds of up to 1/40000 second, the contrast-detect AF system has been upgraded with the addition of 49 new points and significantly increased speed.
The TL2 improved on the 3.7 since it already had a well-thought-out design “Because of the 1.3m-dot touchscreen, the operation is about eight times faster than on earlier versions. The camera Menu, which is still available, allows users to establish a single, easily accessible area for all of their frequently used camera settings.
There is now an FN button, and the camera now includes a USB Type-C connector with USB 3.0 capability, which allows for lightning-fast data transfer. Due to the TL2’s 32GB of internal capacity as well as its UHS-II SD card port, it is possible to save images in a variety of methods.
Additionally, the camera has built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, and users may manage the camera’s settings from a mobile device, which is available as an optional extra
The Leica TL2 is a digital camera that was developed by Leica.
The Leica TL2 is a well-designed camera that adds to the company’s growing mirrorless portfolio while also providing an amazing feature set and easy-to-use controls. The TL2 is constructed from a solid block of aluminum and then assembled and polished by hand in Germany, ensuring exceptional durability and function.
A new electronic shutter feature that allows for shooting speeds of up to 20 frames per second, a quicker touchscreen interface, and faster autofocusing are all included in this model’s impressive speed and performance, as well. When you add in UHD 4K video recording, the TL2 quickly becomes a top performer in this rapidly expanding market.
24MP APS-C CCD sensor with Leica Maestro II image processing.
Each and every camera system is built on a high-quality sensor; the TL2 is lucky in that it features an incredible 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor at its heart. This sensor, when used in conjunction with Leica’s Maestro II processor, offers exceptional resolution and clarity, as well as native sensitivities ranging from ISO 100 to ISO 50000, according to the company.
This, along with the basic, yet useful design of the TL2 results in a streamlined and straightforward setup for creating breathtaking photographs. Aside from that, this sensor offers an electronic shutter option that enables high-speed photography at 20 frames per second and higher shutter speeds.
Mount for the Leica L-Bayonet
The L-bayonet mount on Leica’s mirrorless cameras allows users to connect both full-frame SL-series and APS-C TL-series lenses, which benefit from electronic communication for lightning-fast autofocus, electronic aperture control, and optical image stabilization.
Additionally, as is the case with most mirrorless cameras these days, the L mount is compatible with a multitude of adapters, such as the M-Adapter L, which allows photographers to use any M-mount lens in their arsenal. Adapters for the S, R and Cine series will also be available from Leica, providing compatibility with a wide selection of the company’s top lenses.
Shooting at 20 frames per second with a 49-point autofocus system
An updated contrast-detect autofocus technology, this time with 49 points available, ensures that you always capture razor-sharp photographs no matter where you are. Every step of the process has been sped up to provide faster and more accurate autofocusing, including in AF-C mode.
The performance of the camera with a wide-angle lens was tested at just 165 milliseconds, with telephoto lenses not far behind at 190 milliseconds.
Users may also make use of the camera’s quiet electronic shutter, which has a maximum shutter speed of 1/40,000 seconds and can shoot at a rate of 20 frames per second. The mechanical shutter is also highly powerful, with a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 second and a frame rate of 7 frames per second.
Video Recording in Ultra High Definition (4K)
When it comes to video recording, the TL2 has received significant advancements, the most notable of which being the inclusion of UHD 4K at 30 frames per second. This ultra-high resolution video option allows you to shoot clear video that will look great on both current and future devices, regardless of the resolution used.
In addition to UHD 4K, there is enhanced Full HD with a maximum frame rate of 60 frames per second and HD, which can do slow motion at 120 frames per second. Focus peaking is also offered to assist you in ensuring that your films are in focus, and a micro-HDMI connector is provided for connecting to an external display or computer monitor.
Wi-Fi connectivity is pre-installed.
The integrated IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi allows you to wirelessly link iOS and Android devices to the TL for the purpose of transferring images and videos to smartphones or tablets for posting on the internet. The free Leica TL-App makes it easy to share images between the camera and a mobile device, and it also has a remote control capability that allows you to remotely alter the shutter speed, aperture, and shutter release on the camera.
Download the app now. Additionally, the app may be used as a remote electronic viewfinder, which can be useful for constructing self-portraits or group photographs, or when working from challenging shooting angles.
- The unibody design is made from a single solid piece of aluminum alloy that has been constructed and polished by hand in Germany. It has a minimalist aesthetic and is extremely durable. In addition, the TL2 has freshly curved chamfered corners for an, even more, slimmer appearance.
- It is possible to keep the smooth appearance of the camera body by including only four physical controls and a huge back touchscreen LCD into the design.
- The figure is 3.7 “The LCD monitor has a high resolution of 1.3 million dots, allowing for crisp and vivid playback and picture composition. The touchscreen interface, which is now eight times quicker than before, allows for intuitive menu navigation and settings management, making operation simple.
- You may personalize the camera display by long-touching and dragging particular camera settings into place to meet your own shooting requirements using the MyCamera menu feature.
- The start-up time has been reduced to 600 milliseconds.
- There is an internal storage capacity of 32GB, allowing you to shoot without the need for an SD card if desired; nevertheless, a fast UHS-II SD memory card port is also included for longer shooting sessions.
- Optional lens mount adapters make the Leica L lens mount directly compatible with TL and SL-series lenses, including those with optical image stabilization (OIS), as well as Leica M- and R-mount lenses.
- The top hot shoe can be used in connection with an optional external flash or, for eye-level monitoring, it can be used in conjunction with the optional Visoflex external electronic viewfinder (sold separately).
- It is possible to program the FN button to do specific functions.
- The TL2 now has a DNG-only shooting mode that may be used exclusively.
- In addition, a USB Type-C connector with USB 3.0 capability is offered for extremely rapid data transfer as well as USB charging capabilities.
- The lithium-ion battery (BP-DC13) that comes with the camera provides around 250 photos per charge.
Leica TL2 Specs
|MSRP||$1950 (body only)|
|Body type||Rangefinder-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6016 x 4014|
|Other resolutions||6000 x 4000, 4272 x 2856, 3024 x 2016|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||25 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.6 x 15.7 mm)|
|White balance presets||5|
|Custom white balance||Yes (2 slots)|
|JPEG quality levels||Superfine, fine|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Multi-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||49|
|Lens mount||Leica L|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder type||Electronic (optional)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/40000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Flash modes||Auto, auto w/redeye reduction, on, on w/redeye reduction, slow sync, slow sync w/redeye reduction|
|Continuous drive||7.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 12 secs)|
|Exposure compensation||±3 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3 frames at 1/3 EV steps)|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 60p, MP4, H.264, AAC1280 x 720 @ 60p, MP4, H.264, AAC1280 x 720 @ 120p, MP4, H.264, AAC|
|Storage types||Internal + SD/SDHC/SDXC card|
|USB||USB 3.0 (5 GBit/sec)|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery description||BP-DC13 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||250|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||399 g (0.88 lb / 14.07 oz)|
|Dimensions||134 x 69 x 33 mm (5.28 x 2.72 x 1.3″)|
|GPS notes||requires EVF|