We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
The Nikon D5600 is a compact, competent, and connected DSLR that combines multimedia imaging capabilities with flexible wireless technology to create a stylish and adaptable camera. The camera is built around a 24.2MP DX-format CMOS sensor and an EXPEED 4 image processor, which allows it to operate in a wide range of lighting conditions.
The sensor and processor combination also allows for continuous shooting at up to 5 frames per second, which is useful when working with moving subjects. It is also possible to record full HD 1080p video at up to 60 frames per second, and time-lapse movies may be generated right in the camera.
Despite its small dimensions, the D5600 is equipped with a huge 3.2-inch display “The camera has a rear LCD touchscreen with 1.037 million dots and a vari-angle design to make working from high and low shooting angles more convenient.
The SnapBridge function, which can be used to wirelessly share photographs to your mobile device using Bluetooth low energy technology, is also included. This feature allows for the automated transmission of resized images between the camera and your mobile device, allowing for smooth online sharing.
There’s also Wi-Fi with NFC, which is useful for transferring bigger files, like as movies, to a paired device.
Sensor with a resolution of 24.2MP DX-Format and an EXPEED 4 processor
Its 24.2-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor and the EXPEED 4 engine work together to create images with outstanding clarity, dynamic range, color accuracy, and low-light sensitivity up to ISO 25600.
The sensor’s architecture also does not have an optical low-pass filter, which allows it to capture the maximum degree of sharpness and detail from its subject matter.
As a result, the EXPEED 4 CPU provides a significant boost in overall performance across the camera system, including the capability for Full HD 1080p movie recording and a full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 5 frames per second.
SnapBridge is a Bluetooth and Wi-Fi-enabled device.
The D5600 has a built-in SnapBridge connection, which allows for smooth image transmission from the camera to a mobile device. This allows for a plethora of sharing and tagging options. Wireless contact between the camera and a smart device is enabled by BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) technology, which allows for automated low-resolution image uploads as you shoot while shooting.
When installed, SnapBridge may be used in conjunction with Nikon Image Space for backing up data and sharing photographs. It can also tag transferred images with date and time information to make it easier to keep track of your travel itinerary.
Additionally, once the mobile device and the camera are connected, the mobile device may remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera, allowing for remote working.
Bluetooth is not the only wireless technology available; Wi-Fi with NFC is also available, and it enables for the wireless transfer of both full-resolution photographs and videos to smartphones and tablets. SnapBridge will seamlessly transition between the two technologies, allowing for a more efficient wireless workflow.
Sensor Autofocus Multi-CAM 4800DX (Multi-CAM 4800DX)
The camera’s effective autofocus mechanism, which utilizes 39 different AF points, including nine cross-type sensors, to swiftly acquire focus in a variety of lighting settings ranging from -1 to +19 EV, contributes to the great image quality.
When tracking moving subjects, the camera’s 3D tracking mode makes use of the 2,016-pixel RGB sensor, which is normally reserved for exposure metering. This allows the camera to keep crisp focus on moving targets. To better fit certain subject matter while working in autofocus modes A or C, you may use the Dynamic-area AF mode.
This option lets you to pick between nine, twenty-one, or thirty-nine point arrays for increased subject tracking and identification, even if the subject quickly exits the frame. Single-point AF, 3D tracking, and Auto-area AF are all options, as is a variety of other modes.
When working in live view, whether for still or video photography, a contrast-based AF system is used to acquire focus precisely. This system can also operate in continuous, full-time servo mode, which is more suitable for dealing with subjects that are in motion.
Additionally, when working in live view, four AF-area options are available: face-priority AF, wide-area AF, normal-area AF, and subject-tracking AF. Face-priority AF is the default setting.
Design of the Body
- 3.2 in the rear “In addition to browsing settings menus and playback, the 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD provides an easy way of filming in live view and navigating menus. The screen also features a vari-angle design, which allows you to operate from a variety of angles, including high, low, and front-facing.
- The eye-level pentamirror optical viewfinder gives a natural manner of composing still images while shooting video.
- If you are using the optical viewfinder, you may use the back touchscreen to select a focus point and alter the exposure settings while still shooting. The touchscreen also allows you to navigate your imagery during playback by utilizing a frame advance bar to easily browse through a large number of photographs and videos.
- When operating in low-light circumstances, the built-in pop-up flash may be employed to give extra lighting. In addition, a hot shoe is provided for use with an optional external flash as necessary.
Full-HD video recording is available.
Several frame rates for full HD 1920 x 1080p recording are supported, including 60, 30, 25, and 24 frames per second. HD 720p and SD 480p recording are also supported in the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 codec at a variety of frame rates. In addition to face identification and subject tracking, full-time focusing is available throughout the recording, allowing for consistent sharpness across a wide range of subject types.
Alternatively, a 3.5mm microphone input has been included in the body design to allow for the use of an external microphone for more control over audio recordings. A built-in stereo microphone records high-quality sound.
Additionally, Time-Lapse Movie recording is available, which allows for the creation of imaginative depictions of subjects evolving over time. This mode will automatically transform your image sequences into movie files so that they may be played again in a seamless manner.
The AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens is a zoom lens that covers the range of 18-55mm.
The camera body is accompanied with the standard zoom AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens, which covers the equivalent focal length range of 27-82.5mm. Because of the incorporated pulse stepping motor, this lens provides incredibly smooth, quick, and silent focusing performance that is suitable for both still photography and video recording applications.
The optical design contains a pair of aspherical elements, as well as a Super Integrated Coating, which helps to reduce lens flare and ghosting while shooting in low light. Additional features include Vibration Reduction image stabilization, which reduces the appearance of camera shake while shooting handheld with this lens.
Additional Camera Functions
- Scene modes include: Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close-Up, Night Portrait, Night Landscape, Party/Indoor, Beach/Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Pet Portrait, Candlelight, Blossom, Autumn Colors, and Food. There are also a variety of effects available.
- Night Vision, Super Vivid, Pop, Photo Illustration, Toy Camera Effect, Miniature Effect, Selective Color, Silhouette, High Key, and Low Key are some of the special effects options available.
- Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, Landscape, Flat, and Custom are the picture control modes available.
- The use of Active D-Lighting while working in high contrast environments, such as backlight lighting, allows for the preservation of both highlight and shadow features. Because of the processing capacity of the EXPEED 4 CPU, a more regulated image will be created, with brightness levels that are closer to what is perceived naturally. This mode is best suited for working with subjects that are in motion.
- Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese are among the languages supported.
Nikon D5600 Specs
|MSRP||$700/€820 body only, $800/€930/£800 w/18-55 AF-P, €1090 w/18-105, $1200/€1140/£990 w/18-140|
|Body type||Compact SLR|
|Max resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Other resolutions||4496 x 3000, 2992 x 2000|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||25 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100 – 25600|
|White balance presets||12|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, Normal, Basic|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||39|
|Lens mount||Nikon F|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD monitor|
|Viewfinder type||Optical (pentamirror)|
|Viewfinder magnification||0.82× (0.55× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||Yes|
|Built-in flash||Yes (Pop-up)|
|Flash range||12.00 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (Hot-shoe)|
|Flash modes||Auto, On, Off, Red-eye, Slow sync, Rear curtain|
|Continuous drive||5.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2, 5, 10 or 20 sec)|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|WB Bracketing||Yes (3 frames in either blue/amber or magenta/green axis)|
|Resolutions||1920 x 1080 (60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, 24p), 1280 x 720 (60p, 50p)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n with Bluetooth 4.1 LE and NFC|
|Remote control||Yes (MC-DC2 (wired), WR-1/WR-R10 (wireless))|
|Battery description||EN-EL14a lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||970|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||465 g (1.03 lb / 16.40 oz)|
|Dimensions||124 x 97 x 70 mm (4.88 x 3.82 x 2.76″)|
|GPS notes||Optional GP-1/GP-1A|