We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
The Nikon Z5 is a compact and competent FX-format mirrorless camera with a well-rounded feature set that will meet the demands of both photographers and videographers. Its 24.3MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 6 processor provide wide sensitivity up to ISO 51200, rapid photography at 4.5 frames per second, and UHD 4K video recording at 30 frames per second, among other features.
An improved autofocus system with 273 customizable points complements the imaging capabilities. This hybrid focusing system uses both phase-detection and contrast-detection technologies to achieve high-speed, precise focusing while maintaining excellent subject tracking.
When dealing with human or animal subjects, the Face Detection feature may be utilized in both stills and video modes, while the more accurate Eye Detection feature is beneficial to portrait photographers working with either humans or animals.
In addition to the sensor and processor, the sensor and processor are housed in a sleek but adaptable physical design that incorporates a magnesium alloy chassis that has been weather-sealed to allow for use in adverse weather.
A high-resolution 3.6m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder enables for high-resolution eye-level viewing, while a back 3.2m-dot LCD monitor provides bright, clear images “The 1.04m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD allows you to operate from both high and low angles with ease.
Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work in combination with the Nikon SnapBridge software to allow for wireless transmission of photographs and videos as well as remote control of the camera from your mobile device, making it simple to share your memories.
24.3-megapixel FX-format CMOS sensor with EXPEED 6 image processor.
Combined with the EXPEED 6 image processor, the full-frame, FX-format 24.3MP CMOS sensor delivers an exceptionally flexible blend of outstanding low-light sensitivity, nuanced picture quality, and rapid overall performance.
An ISO 100-51200 native sensitivity range, which can be further extended up to ISO 102400 for working in extremely low-light circumstances, allows for versatility in any lighting conditions. The combination of resolution and sensor size also adds to crisp image quality and smooth color transitions, as well as decreased noise over the whole sensitivity range.
In addition to improving image quality, the EXPEED 6 processor provides beneficial speed across the camera system, including a peak full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 4.5 frames per second and the ability to capture 8MP still images while recording video at 60 frames per second.
Additionally, in addition to imaging, the sensor’s architecture contains a 273-point hybrid autofocus system that uses both phase-detection and contrast detection techniques to rapidly and precisely acquire focus for both stills and video applications.
Besides supporting Eye Detection Autofocus, which employs face recognition to assist in locking focus on people’s eyes, this focusing system also supports Face Detection for both still images and video, and it works with both humans and animals.
Video Recording in Ultra High Definition (4K)
The Z5 is capable of capturing more than just still images; it also offers UHD 4K video recording at up to 30 frames per second and Full HD video recording at up to 60 frames per second, with the ability to save movie files to internal memory cards or an optional external recorder via HDMI out.
UHD 4K recording makes use of a 1.7x cut of the center area of the frame, whereas Full HD recording makes use of the complete frame size.
Additionally, the camera has the capability of producing a final UHD 4K video clip right from the camera, which allows for in-camera time-lapse recording.
Sensor-Shift Vibration Reduction is a technique for reducing vibration.
The camera body has a 5-axis sensor-shift Vibration Reduction (VR) system that adjusts for up to five stops of stabilization, independent of the lens being used in the photograph.
When employing the optional FTZ Adapter, this system is also compatible with adapted lenses, allowing for the usage of 3-axis stabilization. Electronic VR is also available for video recording, which helps to maintain stable footage when filming with a handheld camera.
Designing the Body and Connectivity
- A substantial 3.2 “The LCD panel has a resolution of 1.04 million dots, which allows for bright, crisp, and vivid picture playback and live view filming. In addition to having a tilting design that allows for working from both high and low angles, the screen is also a touchscreen, allowing for more intuitive operation, navigation, and settings management.
- In order to provide comfortable eye-level viewing, a 3.69m-dot electronic finder is included.
- Dual SD memory card slots are both capable of supporting the UHS-II standard, which allows for extremely fast and efficient photo and video file storing.
- Because of its dust and weather resistance, the magnesium alloy chassis is ideal for operating in tough climates and inclement weather.
- Remote shooting capabilities are enabled through the built-in SnapBridge connection, which allows for the smooth transfer of low-resolution pictures. Communication between the camera and a smart device is enabled through BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Wi-Fi. In addition, the mobile device may remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera, allowing for working from a distance while yet maintaining quality results.
- Even when the camera is in use, the included EN-EL15c rechargeable lithium-ion battery produces about 470 images per charge. In-camera charging is enabled through USB, allowing you to charge the battery while still using the camera. Furthermore, it is compatible with the optional MB-N10 multi-battery power pack, which allows for longer shooting sessions.
- Additional Camera Functions
- Dream, Morning, Pop, Sunday, Somber, Dramatic, Silence, Bleached, Melancholic, Pure, Denim, Toy, Sepia, Blue, Red, Pink, Charcoal, Graphite, Binary, and Carbon are some of the creative picture controls available to you.
- If you want to create interesting effects, you may use the Multiple Exposure options to blend numerous exposures into one picture.
- Using the Focus Shift mode, the camera will automatically shoot a series of up to 300 successive shots, each of which will advance the focus position. Stacking several shots together creates an image with a shallow depth of field that is great for close-up photography of small objects, as well as landscape photography and other still subjects.
- There is support for the following languages: English, French, Portuguese (Brazil), and Spanish.
Nikon Z5 Specs
|MSRP||$1399 (body only), $1699 (w/24-50mm lens), $2199 (w/24-200mm lens)|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6016 x 4016|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||25 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (35.9 x 23.9 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-51200 (expands to 50-102400)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||50|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||102400|
|White balance presets||12|
|Custom white balance||Yes (6 slots)|
|Image stabilization notes||5-axis|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||5 stop(s)|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal, basic|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||273|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash modes||Front-curtain sync, slow sync, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction, red-eye reduction with slow sync, slow rear-curtain sync, off|
|Continuous drive||4.5 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2, 5, 10 or 20 secs)|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC slots (UHS-II compatible)|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (micro HDMI)|
|Wireless notes||802.11ac (dual band) + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery description||EN-EL15c lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||470|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||675 g (1.49 lb / 23.81 oz)|
|Dimensions||134 x 101 x 70 mm (5.28 x 3.98 x 2.76″)|