We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
The Nikon Z50 is a DX-format mirrorless digital camera that revolves on the adaptable Z Mount and has an extremely slim appearance. It is available in both black and white.
The Z50 is capable of both stills and video capture, thanks to its 20.9MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 6 image engine, which provides rapid performance up to 11 frames per second, a dependable 209-point hybrid AF system with eye recognition, and outstanding low-light performance up to ISO 51200. For video shooters, UHD 4K recording at up to 30 frames per second is available, as is Full HD recording at up to 120 frames per second for slow-motion playback.
When it comes to fine-tuning your images and videos, in-camera clip cutting is available, and the camera’s 20 creative picture adjustments and ten special effects options assist to give your photography a distinct appearance.
The body design is extremely elegant while being ergonomic for shooting for long periods of time. Working in bright situations with clear eye-level seeing is made easier by the high-quality 2.36m-dot OLED EVF, which has a resolution of 2.36 million dots “The back touchscreen LCD features a 180-degree flip-down design, which is ideal for taking selfies.
The magnesium alloy body has been weather-sealed to ensure that it may be used in severe weather. Aside from that, the camera’s built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities work in combination with the Nikon SnapBridge software to allow for wireless picture and video transmission as well as remote control of the camera from your mobile device.
A 20.9-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor and the EXPEED 6 image processor are included.
This camera’s 20.9MP CMOS sensor in DX format, together with the EXPEED 6 image engine, delivers a dynamic combination of high sensitivity, nuanced picture quality, and overall speed. Using native values, a sensitivity range of ISO 100-51200 allows for working in a wide variety of lighting settings, and this range can be extended even further to ISO 204800 for working in extremely low light circumstances.
The combination of resolution and sensor size also adds to crisp image quality and smooth color transitions, as well as decreased noise over the whole sensitivity range. In addition to improving image quality, the EXPEED 6 processor provides a significant increase in overall system performance, including a maximum full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 11 frames per second and a maximum 8-megapixel continuous shooting rate of 30 frames per second.
Additionally, in addition to imaging, the sensor’s architecture contains an integrated 209-point hybrid autofocus system, which employs a combination of phase-detection and contrast-detection technologies to rapidly and reliably acquire focus for both stills and video applications. It also offers Eye Detection AF, which employs face recognition to assist lock focus on the subjects’ eyes while employing this focusing technique.
Video Recording in Ultra High Definition (4K)
The Z50 is capable of recording more than just still images; it also has the ability to record UHD 4K video at up to 30 frames per second and Full HD video at up to 120 frames per second for slow-motion effects, as well as the ability to save movie files to internal memory cards or an optional external recorder via HDMI out. With the capacity to output a final UHD 4K video clip directly from the camera, in-camera time-lapse recording is also feasible.
Designing the Human Body and Connectivity
- A substantial 3.2 “The LCD screen has a resolution of 1.04 million dots, which allows for bright, crisp, and vivid picture playback and live-view filming. In addition to having a 180-degree flip-under tilting design, which is beneficial for front-facing selfie shots, the screen is also a touchscreen, which allows for more intuitive operation and control over navigation and settings.
- In order to provide comfortable eye-level viewing, an electronic finder with 3.6m dots is included. It features a 1.02x magnification and is equipped with NIKKOR optics, which ensures a crisp and clean image.
- Single SD memory card slots are capable of supporting up to the UHS-I standard, allowing for the rapid storage of photo and video information.
- A durable magnesium alloy chassis that is both dust and weather resistant is advantageous while operating in severe climates or bad weather.
- Remote shooting capabilities are enabled through the built-in SnapBridge connection, which allows for the smooth transfer of low-resolution pictures. Communication between the camera and a smart device is enabled through BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Wi-Fi, and the mobile device may also remotely trigger the shutter and display a live-view image from the camera, allowing for working from a distance.
- In-camera charging is enabled when using the optional EH-73P charging AC adapter, which allows you to get about 300 photos out of the included EN-EL25 rechargeable lithium-ion battery on a single charge.
- Additional Camera Functions
- If you want to create interesting effects, you may use the multiple exposure options to merge numerous exposures into one picture.
- Night vision, ultra-vivid, pop, picture illustration, toy camera effect, tiny effect, selective color, silhouette, high key, and low key are just a few of the special effects options available.
- The following creative picture controls are available: dream, morning, pop, Sunday, melancholy, dramatic, silent, bleached, mournful, pure, denim, toy, sepia, blue, red, pink, charcoal, graphite, binary, and carbon (as well as many others).
- The in-camera picture editing features include distortion control, D-lighting, image overlay, NEF (RAW) processing, perspective adjustment, rapid retouching, red-eye correction, resizing, and side-by-side comparison, straightening, trimming, and trimming a video clip.
- Languages supported include Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese (both simplified and traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese. Languages not supported include Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese (both simplified and
The NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm and 50-250mm lenses are available.
The NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR standard zoom and the NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR telephoto zoom lenses are both included with the camera body, as is the NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR telephoto zoom.
These two lenses, with equivalent focal length ranges of 24-75mm and 75-375mm, respectively, cover a wide-angle to super-telephoto range, making them suitable for use in a broad range of shooting situations and environments.
As an added bonus, both lenses are equipped with vibration reduction image stabilization, which reduces the appearance of camera shaking for crisper handheld photography.
Nikon Z50 Specs
|MSRP||$859 (body), $999 (w/16-50mm lens), $1349 (w/16-50 and 20-250mm lenses)|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||5568 x 3712|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||21 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||22 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.5 x 15.7 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-51200 (expands to 204,800)|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||204800|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal, basic|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||209|
|Lens mount||Nikon Z|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder magnification||1.02× (0.68× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||Yes|
|Flash range||7.00 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Continuous drive||11.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (2, 3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 100p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC card (UHS-I supported)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (micro HDMI)|
|Wireless notes||802.11ac + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery description||EN-EL25 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||320|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||450 g (0.99 lb / 15.87 oz)|
|Dimensions||127 x 94 x 60 mm (5 x 3.7 x 2.36″)|