The Nikon Z6 Mirrorless Camera, which is part of Nikon’s next stage in their photographic journey, is positioned as the “all-arounder” among the new Z System cameras. Starting with the Z Mount itself, a large-diameter design with a short 16mm flange distance enables Nikon to make small, yet powerful cameras while also developing more improved lenses and other components. When it comes to image quality and speed, the Z6 is among the best in the business.
It is equipped with a high-performance FX-format 24.5MP BSI CMOS sensor and the EXPEED 6 Image Processing Engine, which delivers exceptional image quality and speed with a native sensitivity range of ISO 100 to 51200.
With 273 points covering 90 percent of the picture area, the sensor is equipped with a powerful phase-detect autofocus system, and the sensor is also equipped with 5-axis Vibration Reduction technology, which allows for stabilized photographs and video to be captured regardless of the lens used.
This innovative hybrid autofocus technique will also be beneficial in the video domain. The Z6 is capable of UHD 4K recording at up to 30 frames per second and can produce cinema-quality footage by employing the N-Log gamma profile in conjunction with the camera’s 10-bit HDMI output.
Similar to many mirrorless systems, the Z Series has a significantly smaller footprint than its DSLR equivalents, which makes it ideal for travel. In this regard, the Z6 is no exception, with its slimmer design and lighter construction, while yet maintaining the weather sealing and ergonomics for which Nikon is renowned.
Multiple displays and screens are provided for user convenience, including a 0.80x 3.6m-dot electronic viewfinder with NIKKOR optics and a Fluorine coating that ensures crystal-clear vision. The camera’s rear panel is equipped with a 3.2-megapixel sensor “The bottom of the device has a 2.1 million dot tilting touchscreen LCD, while the top has a dot-matrix OLED for fast reviewing settings.
In addition, the body is equipped with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technology for connectivity.
Nikon Z System (Nikon Z System)
Thanks to the introduction of the Z mount, Nikon’s full-frame mirrorless system will be able to provide class-leading picture quality and optics in a more compact package. The Z mount itself, with a 17 percent bigger inner diameter than the F mount, enables the adoption of more modern optics and lens designs, including ultra-fast f/0.95 choices, which would otherwise be impossible.
The Z mount has a 65 percent lower flange distance, measuring just 16mm, which allows for significantly smaller camera and lens bodies. This allows for significantly smaller camera and lens bodies.
As a result of the bigger amount, communications between the body and lens are faster and greater in volume, which results in improved overall performance across the system.
EXPEED 6 processor with 24.5MP FX-Format BSI CMOS sensor.
In order to benefit from continuous shooting, movies, and time-lapse recording, a 24.5MP BSI CMOS sensor is employed. It provides excellent low-light performance and rapid readout speeds. Working at high ISO values, up to a native ISO 51200, the sensor’s back-illuminated architecture produces considerably cleaner high-sensitivity output with decreased noise while maintaining vivid and smooth quality at lower ISO values, such as ISO 100.
The EXPEED 6 image processor, which is optimized for the sensor, provides a plethora of performance across the camera system, including the ability to shoot continuously at 12 frames per second in raw.
4K Ultra-High-Definition Video Recording
The Z6 is a versatile multimedia camera that makes extensive use of its sensor and CPU capabilities. It is capable of shooting video as well as still images. Video recording in UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) is available utilizing either the full-frame area or a DX crop area at frame rates of 30p, 25p, or 24p, depending on the frame rate setting.
Videos may be recorded in full HD 1080p resolution at up to 120 frames per second for slow-motion playback, and they are stored on the camera’s internal memory cards or as an uncompressed file to an optional external recorder through the HDMI out connector.
With the Z6, users will be able to make use of advanced video capabilities. Among these is the N-Log gamma, which is used to capture flat-looking footage while maximizing dynamic range. Among the other enhancements are the ability to export high-quality 10-bit data through HDMI as well as an Electronic VR capability for smooth handheld videography.
When used in conjunction with manual focus adjustment, Focus Peaking can be beneficial, and a Zebra Stripes option is also available to aid in the detection of overexposed regions inside the frame.
Using the built-in stereo microphone, you may record audio, or an optional external microphone can be connected via the 3.5mm stereo socket for even more control over the quality of the recording. Live monitoring is also possible through the headphone port.
A ProRes RAW update is available for the Z6, which allows it to send ProRes RAW footage to an Atomos external recorder that is compatible with the camera. This further enhances the video capabilities of the camera.
The ProRes codec has been enhanced to enable better color grading freedom, and the option to transmit uncompressed 12-bit raw video through HDMI has been included in the package. For this upgrade to be completed, the camera must be sent to Nikon’s Service Department for installation.
A system with 273 Phase-Detection AF Points
An array of 273 phase-detect autofocus points is located on the sensor, which covers 90 percent of the picture area both vertically and horizontally in both vertical and horizontal directions. Because of the large coverage area, subject tracking will work out to the corners of the frame, allowing for quick and precise focusing for both stills and video.
For video, hybrid autofocus (Hybrid AF) is provided, which will automatically swap between phase- and contrast-detect systems to give smooth focus while recording is in progress. Additional improvements include enhanced quiet operation for the newest NIKKOR Z lenses.
Design of the Body
- There is a 5-axis sensor-shift Vibration Reduction system built into the body, which provides up to 5 stops of stabilization, independent of the lens being used. This system is also compatible with adapted lenses when the optional FTZ Adapter is used, and when 3-axis stabilization is utilized with the system.
- A substantial 3.2 “It is possible to use a 2.1 million-dot LCD screen for bright, crisp, and vivid image playback and live view filming. The screen is tilting in order to benefit from working from both high and low angles, and it is also a touchscreen, allowing for more intuitive operation, navigation, and configuration management.
- In order to provide comfortable eye-level viewing, an electronic finder with 3.6m dots is included. It features a high magnification of 0.80x and is equipped with NIKKOR optics, which ensures a crisp and clear image. In addition, the finder features a Fluorine coating to make cleaning it simpler.
- Z6’s top panel is equipped with a dot-matrix OLED screen with white backlighting. This low-energy display allows you to quickly access the most critical camera parameters.
- It will be possible to swiftly store photo and video data if the camera is equipped with a single CFexpress Type B/XQD memory card slot, which is standard.
- Because of its dust and weather resistance, the magnesium-alloy chassis is ideal for operating in difficult environments and severe weather.
- The ergonomic grip and general form factor are designed to be comfortable to use for extended periods of time, and an anti-slip substance, as well as a joystick for smooth settings and focal point selection, further enhance this benefit.
- Remote shooting capabilities are enabled through the built-in SnapBridge connection, which allows for the smooth transfer of low-resolution pictures. Communication between the camera and a smart device is enabled through BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Wi-Fi. In addition, the mobile device may remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera, allowing for working from a distance while yet maintaining quality results.
- On a single charge, the included EN-EL15b rechargeable lithium-ion battery gives around 310 photos. Additionally, in-camera charging is available. This camera is also compatible with EN-EL15 and EN-EL15a batteries; however, in-camera charging is not supported by these batteries.
Nikon Z6 Specs
|MSRP||$1995 (body only), $2599 (w/24-70 F4 lens)|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6048 x 4024|
|Other resolutions||3936 x 2624 (DX crop), 4016 x 4016 (1:1), 6048 x 3400 (16:9)|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 5:4, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||25 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||25 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (35.9 x 23.9 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-51200 (expands to 50-204800)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||50|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||204800|
|White balance presets||12|
|Custom white balance||Yes (6 slots)|
|Image stabilization notes||5-axis|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||5 stop(s)|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal, basic|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||273|
|Lens mount||Nikon Z|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash modes||Front-curtain sync, slow sync, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction, red-eye reduction with slow sync, slow rear-curtain sync, off|
|Continuous drive||12.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2, 5, 10 or 20 secs)|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 144 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 144 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 144 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 144 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 100p / 144 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 56 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 56 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 28 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 28 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 28 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||XQD card|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (mini HDMI)|
|Wireless notes||802.11ac + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via MC-DC2 or smartphone)|
|Battery description||EN-EL15b lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||310|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||675 g (1.49 lb / 23.81 oz)|
|Dimensions||134 x 101 x 68 mm (5.28 x 3.98 x 2.68″)|