We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
Digital Camera Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IIIs Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds (Body Only, Silver)
The silver Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IIIs, which is small and lightweight, takes its position as a highly capable entry-level alternative for photographers wishing to pick up an SLR-styled mirrorless Micro Four Thirds camera.
With a 16.1MP Four Thirds Live MOS Sensor and the Dual Quad-Core TruePic VIII Image Processor, this generation of the camera is capable of a wide range of quick and powerful capabilities, including video recording at up to Ultra High Definition (4K).
The camera retains its intuitive and durable design, and it benefits from a plethora of tactile buttons as well as a 3.0-megapixel sensor “In addition, there is a tilting touchscreen LCD as well as a 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder with an increased 1.23x magnification.
Additionally, a variety of additional features have been added to make shooting more enjoyable, including 15 art filters and a Clips Video Mode, which allows you to easily create films in-camera while shooting.
The E-M10 Mark IIIs are equipped with a slew of features that help to improve overall image quality. The incorporation of a powerful in-body 5-axis image stabilization technology, which can correct for around 4 stops of shutter speed variation, is the most important of these improvements.
An improved contrast-detect autofocus system, with 121 points, will assist you in locking on to your subjects and capturing razor-sharp images of them. The camera’s speed has also been improved, with continuous shooting at up to 8.6 frames per second and a sensitivity range of up to ISO 25600.
The Mark IIIs is equipped with an electronic shutter, which allows for significantly quicker shutter speeds and quieter photography than previous models. In addition to all of this, the camera has built-in Wi-Fi, which this time has a QR Code capability for an even speedier setup.
Live MOS sensor with 16.1MP resolution and TruePic VIII image processor
Its Four Thirds 16.1MP Live MOS Sensor and Dual Quad-Core TruePic VIII Image Processor, which are both engineered to enhance speed and quality, enable the OM-D E-M10 Mark IIIs to capture high-resolution pictures.
It enables users to capture clear photographs and videos in a variety of lighting conditions with sensitivity settings ranging from ISO 200 to 25600, with the ability to go as high as ISO 100 to 25600. Aside from that, it has an electronic shutter mode that allows for quicker shutter speeds and entirely silent operation, as well as the ability to record uncompressed 12-bit raw images.
Video Recording in Ultra High Definition (4K)
The increased processing capability of the TruePic VIII gives the E-M10 Mark IIIs with enhanced video capabilities, in addition, to still photography, this time enabling the creation of high-resolution UHD 4K video at frame rates of up to 30 frames per second.
In order to provide clear, detailed visuals, users may make use of the high data rate of 102 Mbps available, which is available in both NTSC and PAL frame rate settings. Full HD and HD recording have been accelerated, with choices for Full HD recording at up to 60p and high-speed HD 720p recording at up to 120 fps available.
It also has a Time-lapse Movie mode, which records at up to 4K UHD quality at a rate of 5 frames per second, allowing you to capture changes in the subject’s movement over a longer period of time in addition to video.
Full-HD and high-definition time-lapse options are also available. Additionally, a Clips Video Mode is available for in-camera video production, which includes the option to use audio that has been uploaded to your SD card.
5-Axis Image Stabilization for the Entire Body
When working with telephoto shots, macro photography, or long exposures, sensor-shift image stabilization can help to reduce the appearance of camera shake by up to 4 stops with any lens in use. It also compensates for camera movements that become particularly noticeable when working with long exposures, telephoto shots, or macro photography.
This innovative picture stabilization technology compensates for vertical angle rotation, horizontal angle rotation, horizontal shift, vertical shift, and rolling camera shaking movement by working across five axes. This range of observed motions is beneficial for both traditional still picture photography and video recording, as well as for working more efficiently with moving subjects.
Additionally, by half-pressing the shutter button, picture stabilization may be activated when framing images to create more precise compositions.
The camera has a 121-point contrast-detect autofocus system and can shoot at 8.5 frames per second.
The E-M10 Mark III’s updated 121-point contrast-detect high-speed imager AF system allows you to lock on and follow subject matter fast and effectively, resulting in tack-sharp images every time.
Touch AF features may also be accessed via the back LCD, and users can benefit from the superior tracking performance. Additionally, the E-M10 III is capable of shooting at speeds of up to 8.5 frames per second and can record bursts of up to 22 raw frames or 36 JPEGs. There is a low-speed mode of 4.8 frames per second that has no limit on the buffer size.
Design of the body and the presence of built-in Wi-Fi
- The durable body is equipped with two dials, a directional pad, and a shortcut button to provide quick and intuitive control.
- For direct connection to a smart device, the gadget has built-in Wi-Fi. Additionally, a QR code setting is provided for speedier connection and setup.
- The 3.0 is a version of 3.0 “In order to be used at strange angles, the 1.04 million dot touchscreen LCD can be tilted downward 45 degrees and upward 85 degrees.
- Shutter release, AF area selection, AF area size adjustment, AF touchpad, frame forward/backward, magnified playback, Live Guide, Super Control Panel (with Art Filter), Wi-Fi connection, video controls, video effects (including video teleconverter), and timer are all accessible through the touch screen.
- A 2.36m-dot EVF is available for viewing at eye level, and it has an enhanced magnification of 1.23x for better comfort while in use.
- A mechanical shutter with a shutter speed range of 1/4000 to 60 seconds is provided, as is a quiet electronic shutter function with a shutter speed range of 1/16000 to 30 seconds.
- For lighting gloomy areas, the camera has a built-in flash with a guide number of 19′ at ISO 100.
- There is one SD card slot available, which is capable of supporting UHS-II media.
- External flash units may be connected to the camera through the hot shoe.
Additional Camera Functions
- It is possible to use Silent Shutter Mode to completely remove shutter noise and other electrical sounds, which is particularly useful while working in natural settings, concert halls, or other sound-sensitive environments.
- When using Advanced Auto Mode, the camera analyzes the scene and the subject in order to determine the optimal settings.
- Various presets are available in Scene Mode to optimize camera performance for your subject matter, including settings for people and motion as well as indoor and nightscape photography. Other presets are available, including Close-Up and Landscape photography.
- A total of fifteen Art filters are available to add some flare to your photographs, including a new Bleach Bypass option that provides an old film impression on metal surfaces while also providing a silvery, glossy vibe.
- A variety of creative modes are available in Advanced Photography (AP) Mode, including Live Composite, Live Time, Panoramic, HDR, Silent, Keystone Compensation, Focus Bracketing, Multiple Exposures, and AE Bracketing. Advanced Photography (AP) Mode is available in all camera models.
- Using the Live Bulb and Live Time settings, you can create some really beautiful long exposure photography. You may use Live Bulb to keep the shutter open for up to one minute, and Live Time allows you to push the shutter button once to open the shutter and then press it again within a minute to bring the exposure to a conclusion.
- This is a one-of-a-kind long exposure option that allows you to progressively increase the exposure over time without overexposing important components inside the frame. As a result, it is great for capturing star trails or other moving light sources since it only records freshly detected light sources over time and lets you watch the image grow as it is captured.
- Interval shooting is enabled for up to 999 frames with exposure intervals ranging from one second to twenty-four hours.
- Zoom Lens for the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R Digital SLR Camera (Silver)
- A 28-84mm equivalent lens for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras, the silver M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R from Olympus covers a broad variety of focal lengths from wide-angle to portrait-length and has a variable zoom range from wide-angle to portrait-length. A total of three aspherical components are used in the optical design to compensate for distortion and spherical aberration, and this allows for a significant increase in sharpness and clarity while still maintaining a compact and lightweight form factor. Additionally, the lens is equipped with a Movie & Still Compatible (MSC) autofocus technology, which enables quick and near-silent focusing performance that is beneficial for both video and photography.
- The 28-84mm equivalent focal length range of this wide-to-portrait-length zoom lens is designed for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras and is available in two sizes: wide and portrait.
Three aspherical components contribute to the reduction of distortion and spherical aberrations, allowing for exceptionally crisp and clear images across the zoom range.
As a result of its smooth, quiet, and fast performance, the Movie & Still Compatible (MSC) autofocus technology is beneficial for both picture and video applications.
Its seven-blade diaphragm is rounded, which contributes to the attractive bokeh quality.
Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Specs
|MSRP||$649 (body only), $799 (w/14-42mm PZ lens)|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Image ratio w:h||4:3|
|Effective pixels||16 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||17 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Four Thirds (17.4 x 13 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 200-25600 (expands to 100-25600)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||100|
|White balance presets||6|
|Custom white balance||Yes (4 slots)|
|Image stabilization notes||5-axis|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Multi-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||121|
|Lens mount||Micro Four Thirds|
|Focal length multiplier||2×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder magnification||1.23× (0.62× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||60 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/16000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||Yes|
|Flash range||5.80 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash modes||Auto, redeye, slow sync, 2nd-curtain slow sync, redeye slow sync, fill-in, manual, off|
|Continuous drive||8.6 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 12 secs, custom)|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (3, 5 frames at 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 102 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 102 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 102 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1280 x 720 @ 120p, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1280 x 720 @ 30p / 14 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1280 x 720 @ 25p / 14 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1280 x 720 @ 24p / 14 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-I/II supported)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (micro HDMI)|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery description||BLS-50 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||330|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||410 g (0.90 lb / 14.46 oz)|
|Dimensions||122 x 84 x 50 mm (4.8 x 3.31 x 1.97″)|