We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
The silver OM-D E-M10 Mark IV combines several of Olympus’ flagship features and technologies with the tiny and extremely portable E-M10 design to create a camera that is both stylish and functional. The E-M10 Mark IV, which features a 20.3MP Micro Four Thirds sensor and the TruePic VIII image processor, is distinguished by its UHD 4K video recording capabilities, a fast 8.7 frames per second continuous shooting rate, and a wide ISO 200-25600 sensitivity range that allows it to be used in a variety of lighting situations.
It also incorporates a contrast-detection autofocus system with 121 points, which utilizes subject identification algorithms from the E-M1-series to provide quick, precise, and intelligent focusing performance in low-light conditions. Additionally, the camera is equipped with 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization, which compensates for about 4.5 stops of camera shaking for clearer handheld images.
While the physical appearance of the E-M10 Mark IV is sleek, it retains the huge 3.0″ LCD screen found on the previous generation model “The 1.04 million-dot touchscreen LCD features a 180-degree tilting design that allows you to operate from high, low and front-facing angles. A 2.36 million-dot OLED electronic viewfinder is provided for viewing at eye level.
Additionally, the camera’s built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities allow it to be connected to a smartphone or tablet for direct wireless image sharing or for remote camera control from the mobile device.
TruePic VIII image processor and a 20.3MP Live MOS sensor are included.
Fast shooting speed, a sensitivity range of ISO 200-25600, and varied video recording capabilities are all made possible by a high-resolution 20.3MP Live MOS sensor working in conjunction with a TruePic VIII image processor.
The sensor and processor combination, which is also ideal for photographing moving scenes, allows for full-resolution continuous shooting at up to 8.7 frames per second. Aside from still images, the E-M10 Mark IV is capable of recording UHD 4K video at up to 30 frames per second, Full HD at 60 frames per second, and high-speed HD at 120 frames per second.
Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization on Five Axes
While using any lens, sensor-shift image stabilization helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake by up to 4.5 stops. It also compensates for camera movements that become particularly noticeable when working with telephoto shots, macro photography, and long exposures. Image stabilization is built into the camera body and works with any lens.
Aside from that, its powerful picture stabilization technology operates across five dimensions to compensate for camera shaking movement in the vertical and horizontal directions as well as in the horizontal and vertical directions. This range of observed motions is beneficial for both traditional still picture photography and video recording, as well as for working more efficiently with moving subjects.
121-Point Contrast-Detection AF and Subject Detection are two features of this camera.
When working in a range of lighting settings and shooting circumstances, the rapid and intelligent autofocus technology makes use of 121 contrast-detection zones to provide refined precision and focusing speed while working.
Continuous autofocus, which is ideal for working with moving subjects, is powered by the same subject-detection algorithm as the sports-optimized E-M1X, and the same face- and eye-detection functions as the E-M1 Mark III, which make it possible to accurately focus on the profile, a lowered face, or a partially hidden face, which is ideal for portraiture.
Additionally, the addition of manual focus assist capabilities, such as live view magnification and focus peaking, is beneficial to manual focus operation in some cases as well.
Body Design and Connectivity
- For eye-level monitoring, a high-resolution 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder is offered. It has a 0.67x maximum magnification and provides clean, distortion-free vision.
- 3.0 in the rear “In addition, the 1.04m-dot LCD panel has an 80-degree upward and 180-degree downward tilting design to accommodate working from a range of angles, including front-facing for properly framed selfies. The screen also functions as a touchscreen, allowing for easy menu navigation and picture playing to take place.
- The BLS-50 rechargeable lithium-ion battery that comes with the camera is capable of providing around 360 photos per charge.
- The micro-USB connector of the camera may be used to charge the camera’s battery.
- The single SD memory card slot is UHS-II compliant, which means it can handle rapid read and write rates.
- When used in conjunction with the proprietary O.I.Share software for iOS and Android, the built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allows for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from a connected smartphone or tablet.
- Modes of Photography
- This is a one-of-a-kind long exposure option that allows you to progressively increase the exposure over time without overexposing important components inside the frame. As a result, it is great for capturing star trails or other moving light sources since it only records freshly detected light sources over time and lets you watch the image grow as it is captured.
- Using the Live Bulb and Live Time settings, you can create some really beautiful long exposure photography. You may use Live Bulb to keep the shutter open for up to one minute, and Live Time allows you to push the shutter button once to open the shutter and then press it again within a minute to bring the exposure to a conclusion.
- Interval shooting is enabled for up to 999 frames with exposure intervals ranging from one second to twenty-four hours.
- Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, Key Line, Watercolor, Vintage, Partial Color (18 Color), Bleach Bypass, Instant Film are some of the art filters available.
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV Specs
|MSRP||$699 (body only), $799 (w/14-42mm lens)|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||5184 x 3888|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||20 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||22 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Four Thirds (17.4 x 13 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 200-25600 (expands to 100-25600)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||100|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||25600|
|White balance presets||6|
|Custom white balance||Yes (4 slots)|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||4.5 stop(s)|
|JPEG quality levels||Superfine, fine, normal|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Multi-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||121|
|Lens mount||Micro Four Thirds|
|Focal length multiplier||2×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder magnification||0.62× (0.31× 35mm Equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||60 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Flash range||7.20 m (at ISO 200)|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash modes||Redeye, fill-in, off, redeye slow-sync (1st-curtain), Slow sync (1st-curtain), Slow sync (2nd-curtain), manual|
|Continuous drive||15.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 12 sec, custom)|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (3, 5 frames at 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 102 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 102 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 102 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II supported)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (micro HDMI)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery description||BLS-50 lithium-ion battery & USB charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||360|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||383 g (0.84 lb / 13.51 oz)|
|Dimensions||122 x 84 x 49 mm (4.8 x 3.31 x 1.93″)|