The Olympus PEN E-PL10 is a fashionable mirrorless camera that has equally remarkable photography skills. It is distinguished by its attractive design. With a 16.1MP Micro Four Thirds MOS sensor and a TruePic VIII processor, the camera can capture still images at up to 8.6 frames per second.
A wide sensitivity range of up to ISO 25600 is available for working in low-light conditions, and UHD 4K video recording at up to 30 frames per second is also possible with the camera.
The sensor and processor also make it possible to use the 121-area FAST focusing system, which is beneficial for both stills and video, and to use Eye and Face Detection AF modes, which are particularly useful for portraiture applications.
Additionally, the camera’s 3-axis in-body sensor-shift image stabilization helps to reduce the impression of camera shake by up to 3.5 stops, making it ideal for handheld photography in low light circumstances.
Aside from its photography capabilities, the E-PL10 is one of the most aesthetically pleasing cameras on the market, thanks to its brown leatherette wrap, embossed Olympus PEN logo, and slender design.
This physical form is also useful, as seen by the huge back 3.0-inch screen “A 1.04 million-dot touchscreen LCD with a 180-degree tilting design allows you to take precisely prepared selfies.
If you’re making front-facing portraits, Touch Shutter makes it easier to handle the camera by just tapping the screen to focus and shoot. A range of in-camera Art Filters may also be applied and modified to enhance the aesthetic of your photographs. Additional features include built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, which allow for wireless image sharing and remote camera operation from a connected smartphone or tablet device.
TruePic VII image processor and 16.1MP Live MOS sensor are included.
The E-PL10 is equipped with a 16.1MP Live MOS sensor and a TruePic VIII image processor, and it is capable of shooting high-resolution stills as well as UHD 4K video at up to 30 frames per second at a sensitivity of up to ISO 25600.
When operating with the anti-shock electronic first curtain shutter, the processing speed allows for a full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 8.6 frames per second and 4.8 frames per second shooting rate.
System for Rapid Autofocus (FAST)
A contrast-detection focusing system, which is beneficial for both stills and video, makes use of 121 AF regions spread throughout the whole sensor to swiftly and precisely acquire focus.
FAST (Frequency Acceleration Sensor Technology) is well called since it is capable of focusing on targets utilizing single-shot or continuous focusing methods, as well as AF tracking, which is particularly useful when working with moving subjects. In addition, there is Face Detection/Eye Detection AF, which prioritizes focus on a subject’s face and eyes over the rest of the image.
When working with manual focus, focus peaking may be used to make achieving perfect sharpness easier. This is especially beneficial when working with selective focus or shallow depth of field methods, which are both popular these days.
Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization on Three Axes
With any lens in use, in-body sensor-shift image stabilization can reduce the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 stops, depending on the situation. This innovative picture stabilization technology operates across three dimensions and adjusts for vertical and horizontal changes (such as yaw and pitch) as well as camera shake along the optical axis, among other things (roll).
This range of detected motions is suitable for both stills and video recording, and electronic image stabilization may be employed to enhance the quality of video recording even further.
Design of the body and wireless connectivity
- 3.0 is a significant number “For easy control over picture composition, settings, and playback, a 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD is offered. Additionally, the screen includes an 80° upward and 180° downward tilting design for taking front-facing selfies or just working from a variety of angles.
- The touchscreen makes it possible to use the Touch Shutter function, which allows you to focus and release the shutter by merely touching the screen.
- The outside of the camera body is coated in brown leatherette to give it a more classic look, and the Olympus PEN logo has been foil stamped on the front of the camera body to distinguish it from other models.
- When working in low-light circumstances, the built-in pop-up flash offers extra lighting. It is also possible to use a hot shoe to hold an optional external flash.
- The BLS-50 lithium-ion rechargeable battery that comes with the camera produces around 350 photos per charge.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allow you to link a smartphone or tablet to the camera without a hitch, allowing you to freely exchange images and manage the camera from a distance.
- Additional Camera Functions
- Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, Key Line, Watercolor, Vintage, Partial Color, Bleach Bypass, and Instant Film are some of the art filters you may use with your photos. Also available in real-time is the ability to fine-tune the intensity of the Art Filters to generate a variety of distinct effects.
- An anti-shock shooting mode allows you to employ an electronic first curtain shutter in combination with a shutter speed range of 60-1/320 sec to prevent vibrations when shooting from a tripod or other supporting structure.
- For accurate exposure metering management, digital ESP metering makes use of a 324-area multi-pattern metering area, as well as center-weighted average and spot metering modes, among other things.
- Advanced Photo Modes: Live Composite, Live Time, Multiple Exposures, HDR Backlight, Silent, Panorama, Keystone Compensation, AE Bracketing, and Focus Bracketing are just a few of the possibilities.
- Scene Select AE modes to include: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape + Portrait, Night + Portrait, Children, Night scene, Hand-Held Starlight, Fireworks, Light trails, Sport, Panning, Landscape, Sunset, Beach & Snow, Backlight HDR, Panorama, Candlelight, Silent, Macro, Nature Macro, Documents, Multi Focus Shot, and Documents + Landscape + Portrait.
- A variety of picture modes are available, including i-Enhance (high contrast), Vivid (natural), Muted (muted), Portrait (monotone), Custom (customized), e Portrait (underwater), and Art Filters.
- Photo Story mode allows you to photograph a scene from a variety of perspectives and then combine all of the shots into a single composite image.
- Live Composite Mode allows you to record a long exposure, ranging from 1/2 to 60 seconds, while simultaneously monitoring the exposure buildup in real-time, resulting in more accurate long exposures.
- Interval shooting is enabled for up to 999 successive frames at intervals ranging from one second to twenty-four hours. After the shot is complete, the footage may be automatically assembled into a time-lapse video.
- Multiple Exposure mode allows you to record two consecutive frames over one another with auto gain for a more balanced total exposure than you would normally get.
- One-Shot Echo, Multi Echo, Art Fade, and Old Film are some of the movie effects available.
- The Live Guide is a basic graphical menu that allows you to alter color saturation, color value, brightness, background blur, and how motion is shown. It can also offer useful shooting advice while you are shooting.
Olympus PEN E-PL10 Specs
|MSRP||$599 (body only), $699 (w/14-42mm lens)|
|Body type||Rangefinder-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Image ratio w:h||4:3|
|Effective pixels||16 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||17 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Four Thirds (17.3 x 13 mm)|
|White balance presets||6|
|Custom white balance||Yes (4 slots)|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||3.5 stop(s)|
|JPEG quality levels||Super fine, fine, normal|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Multi-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||121|
|Lens mount||Micro Four Thirds|
|Focal length multiplier||2×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||60 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/16000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||Yes|
|Flash range||5.40 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash modes||Redeye, Slow Sync. (1st curtain), Slow Sync. (2nd curtain), Red-eye Slow Sync. (1st curtain), Fill-in, Manual, Flash Off|
|Continuous drive||14.1 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (3, 5 frames at 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 102 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 102 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 102 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 52 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC card (UHS-I supported)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (micro HDMI)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via wired remote or smartphone)|
|Battery description||BLS-50 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||350|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||380 g (0.84 lb / 13.40 oz)|
|Dimensions||117 x 68 x 39 mm (4.61 x 2.68 x 1.54″)|