We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
The Lumix G85 from Panasonic is a versatile Micro Four Thirds camera that is designed for both video and stills photographers. It is distinguished by its rapid performance, flexible photo capabilities, and UHD 4K video recording capabilities, among other things.
Its 16MP MOS sensor has a sensitivity range of ISO 200-25600, allowing it to be used in a variety of lighting conditions. It also has fast shooting speeds of up to 10 frames per second with single-shot autofocus or 6 frames per second with continuous autofocus, as well as up to 40 frames per second when using the electronic shutter function and 30 frames per second at 8MP when using the 4K PHOTO Modes, among other features.
The usage of 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization, which may drastically minimize the appearance of camera shake while working in low-light circumstances, is particularly advantageous. This IS system can also be utilized in conjunction with chosen lens image stabilization systems to provide Dual IS.
In addition to the photography capabilities, the camera is equipped with a 2.36 million dot electronic viewfinder as well as a 3.0-megapixel sensor “a 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD display with a free-angle design that allows for more comfortable operation from both high and low angles Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi is included into the design, allowing for wireless picture transfer and remote camera operation from connected smartphones or tablets.
The body design is also weather-sealed to prevent dust and moisture from entering the vehicle when operating in severe weather.
The Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. lens, which is included with the camera body, is a normal zoom lens with an equivalent focal length range of 24-120mm. A total of three aspherical elements and one extra-low dispersion element are included in its optical design, which helps to eliminate both chromatic and spherical aberrations across the zoom range.
Camera shaking is minimized with the help of POWER O.I.S., which works in concert with the camera’s sensor-shift IS to provide even more effective correction.
MOS sensor with a resolution of 16MP in real-time
The G85 is equipped with a 16MP Live MOS sensor, which allows it to capture crisp, high-resolution still images as well as UHD 4K video. An optical low-pass filter is not included in the design of the sensor, which results in excellent clarity and resolution.
The sensor’s design also provides a sensitivity range of ISO 200 to 25600, which allows for use in a variety of lighting settings.
Additionally, the camera offers fast shooting performance, with the ability to shoot at up to 40 frames per second using the electronic shutter function, 30 frames per second at 8MP using the 4K PHOTO Modes, 10 frames per second with AF-S and an electronic shutter, or 9 frames per second using a mechanical shutter with AF-S.
Video Recording in Ultra High Definition (4K)
In addition to the several shooting modes for still images, the G85 is capable of capturing UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) video at either 30p or 24p frame rates at a maximum data rate of 100 Mbps. The MP4 format supports Full HD 1080p/60 at 28 Mbps, as well as HD recording and Full HD in AVCHD. HD recording and Full HD in AVCHD are also supported.
An internal stereo microphone may be utilized during recordings, and it includes an integrated wind-cut filter for cleaner audio quality when filming outside. An optional external microphone can be connected through the 3.5mm port for even better audio quality when shooting outdoors.
PHOTO MODES FOR 4K IMAGES
In addition to the 4K video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are available for capturing continuous 8MP stills at 30 frames per second shooting rate. These are as follows:
The 4K Burst mode, which works similarly to video recording, will allow you to continually record 8MP photos at 30 frames per second for up to 29 minutes and 59 seconds, making it perfect for situations when you need to capture the greatest moment possible at a rapid frame rate.
4K Pre-Burst: This mode is useful for situations in which you are unsure of when to press the shutter button. It will record 8MP images at 30 frames per second one second before and one second after pressing the shutter button, giving you a total of 60 frames to choose from when pressing the shutter button.
4K Burst (S/S): This mode is the most closely related to the 4K video recording process, and it allows you to playback your video, pause it at a predetermined point, and then use the shutter button to select a frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame.
4K Burst (S/S): This mode is the most closely related to the 4K video recording process, and it allows you to playback your video, pause it at a
Dual Image Stabilization is a technique for stabilizing two images at the same time.
Dual I.S. combines the G85’s 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization technology with lens-based image stabilization to help obtain the sharpest images possible when shooting handheld.
This allows the camera to correct for a wider variety of movement types and produce sharper clearer images. Dual I.S. necessitates the use of compatible Lumix lenses with optical image stabilization (O.I.S.).
Depth-From-Defocus AF Technology is a type of automatic focus.
As a means of accelerating autofocus performance, DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology is employed. This technology allows the camera to quickly calculate the distance to subjects and adjust the focusing position in order to accommodate working with continuous shooting rates of up to 6 frames per second with continuous AF.
In addition to benefiting both still and video recording modes, this contrast-detection type focus method is also useful in subject tracking applications, where the subject’s color, size, and motion vectors are used to intelligently lock on to moving subjects and ensure precise focus on the moving subjects As an added bonus, the Starlight AF function, which supports operating in low-light circumstances, provides precise AF performance down to four stops of light.
Focus peaking, which emphasizes bright edges of contrast with a colored outline for rapidly recognizing your focus point, as well as Touch MF Assist, which allows for touch-to-focus operation, are both available for manual focus operation to make it more convenient.
Design of the body and the presence of built-in Wi-Fi
- The camera’s inbuilt 2.36 million-dot electronic viewfinder provides a bright, clear way of composing photographs at eye level, and it has an effective magnification of 0.74x.
- The 3.0 is a more powerful tool for picture composition and playback “The rear LCD monitor has a resolution of 1.04 million dots and is designed to be viewed from a range of viewing angles. In addition, it has a touchscreen, which allows for easier menu navigation and settings management.
- The camera body is made of a sturdy weather-sealed structure that makes it dust- and splash-proof, allowing it to be used in a variety of challenging environmental situations.
- The ten customizable function buttons may be used to operate a broad range of settings and tools on the computer.
- Using the bundled rechargeable lithium-ion battery, around 330 shots can be obtained per charge while working with the back LCD, 320 shots can be obtained when working with the EVF, and 800 shots can be obtained when working with the Power Saver LVF mode.
- When working in low-light circumstances, a built-in pop-up flash may be used to offer additional lighting for the photographer.
- Integrated Wi-Fi networking enables wireless image sharing and remote camera operation from connected smartphones and tablets.
- Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens (Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH.
- This flexible 24-120mm equivalent wide-to-tele zoom lens is included with the camera body and is well-suited to a wide range of shooting scenarios. When combined with the camera’s sensor-shift IS system (using Dual I.S.), this POWER O.I.S system provides effective control of camera wobble and allows for clearer handheld photography. Also included are three aspherical elements and one extra-low dispersion element, which work together to reduce spherical and chromatic aberrations, resulting in improved clarity and sharpness.
Additional Camera Functions
- Bracketing modes for shutter speed, aperture, and white balance settings are available in a number of configurations. There is also the option of focus bracketing for up to 999 photos with focus steps specified in 5 levels, which is useful for focus stacking applications.
- Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine are some of the Creative Control modes available in the camera.
- Photo Styles can be used to add a distinct quality to either still images or videos, and they include Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, Custom, Cinelike D, Cinelike V, and more. Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, Custom, Cinelike D, Cinelike V, and more.
- It is possible to employ a Silent Mode to muffle camera sounds, allowing for more discrete filming in sound-sensitive areas.
Panasonic Lumix G85 Specs
|MSRP||$899 (body only), $999 (w/12-60 lens)|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Body material||Magnesium alloy|
|Max resolution||4592 x 3448|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||16 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||17 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Four Thirds (17.3 x 13 mm)|
|Color space||Primary color space|
|Color filter array||Primary color filter|
|ISO||Auto, 200-25600 (expands down to ISO 100)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||100|
|White balance presets||5|
|Custom white balance||Yes (4 slots)|
|Image stabilization notes||IS system works together with stabilized lenses to improve shake reduction|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal|
|File format||JPEG (Exif 2.3)Raw (Panasonic RW2)|
|Optics & Focus|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Multi-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Number of focus points||49|
|Lens mount||Micro Four Thirds|
|Focal length multiplier||2×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder magnification||1.48× (0.74× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||60 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/16000 sec|
|Exposure modes||ProgramShutter PriorityAperture PriorityManual|
|Flash range||6.20 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash modes||Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction, Forced On, Forced On/Red-eye Reduction, Slow Sync., Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction, Forced Off|
|Flash X sync speed||1/160 sec|
|Continuous drive||9.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 10 secs, 10 secs x 3 shots)|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 100 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 100 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 28 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 60i / 17 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 24 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 20 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 24 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC card|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Remote control||Yes (via wired remote or smartphone)|
|Battery description||Lithium-ion battery & charger; optional grip|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||330|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||505 g (1.11 lb / 17.81 oz)|
|Dimensions||128 x 89 x 74 mm (5.04 x 3.5 x 2.91″)|