We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
The black Lumix DC-ZS70 Digital Camera from Panasonic is a pocketable multimedia powerhouse that combines a sleek form factor with a wide range of stills and video capabilities. It is available in two colors: black and silver.
The camera is centered around a 20.3MP 1/2.3″ sensor “The ZS70 is equipped with a high-sensitivity Live MOS sensor that produces rich picture quality with minimal noise and sensitivity up to an extended ISO 6400 for working in challenging lighting situations.
The sensor and image processor also enable continuous shooting at up to 10 frames per second with single-shot autofocus, 30 frames per second at 8MP in 4K Photo Modes, and UHD 4K video recording at 30 frames per second.
The 4K capabilities also allow for the use of innovative Post Focus technology, which allows for the selection of a precise point of focus after the shot has been taken.
Aside from its imaging capabilities, the ZS70 is distinguished by its impressive 30x Leica DC Vario-Elmar zoom lens, which covers a 24-720mm equivalent focal length range, as well as its 5-axis HYBRID O.I.S. image stabilization system, which helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld photography.
Also noteworthy is the camera’s small size and the use of both a 1.166 million-dot electronic viewfinder and a 3.0-megapixel sensor “Tilting touchscreen LCD with 1.04 million dots. The built-in WiFi also allows you to wirelessly share images or remotely operate the camera from a connected smartphone or tablet.
MOS sensor with a resolution of 20.3MP and high sensitivity
A 20.3MP 1/2.3-inch sensor “Highly sensitive MOS sensors assist to achieve rich picture quality with decreased noise while still maintaining high sensitivity up to an increased ISO 6400 sensitivity range.
Continuous shooting speeds of up to 10 frames per second in single-shot AF mode, 5 frames per second with continuous AF, or 30 frames per second at 8MP in the 4K Photo modes are also possible because to the imaging and processing capabilities.
Leica DC Vario-Elmar 30x Zoom Lens is a high-performance zoom lens from Leica.
A really wide 30x Leica DC Vario-Elmar zoom lens with an equivalent focal length range of 24-720mm and a maximum aperture range of f/3.3-6.4 provides a 24-720mm equivalent focal length range.
Five double-sided aspherical elements are used in the lens design to reduce spherical aberrations and distortions across the zoom range, resulting in improved picture clarity and sharpness.
A strong 5-axis Hybrid O.I.S. system, which makes use of the lens’s extended reach, adjusts for a range of camera motions, allowing for clearer handheld photography in low-light circumstances.
As a result of the image stabilization technology, a unique Level Shot function is enabled, which automatically identifies the horizontal line of the recording picture and maintains its level during the shooting process, independent of camera tilt, resulting in improved shooting stability.
Modes for 4K video and photography
In addition, the sensor and CPU combination allows for 4K video recording at 30 frames per second in the MP4 format at a speed of 100 Mbps. The camera can also record in high-definition 1080p and 720p resolutions, as well as in high-speed HD and VGA formats, with slow-motion playback at 120 fps and 240 fps, respectively.
Aside from video, the 4K capabilities allow for the capture of 8MP still images at 30 frames per second in three different ways:
Four-Kill Burst: Similar to video recording, this mode will let you to continually record 8MP photographs at 30 frames per second for up to 15 minutes, making it excellent for situations where you need to capture the best moment possible at a fast frame rate.
4K Pre-Burst: This mode is useful for situations in which you are unsure of when to press the shutter button. It will record 8MP images at 30 frames per second one second before and one second after pressing the shutter button, giving you a total of 60 frames to choose from when pressing the shutter button.
4K Burst (S/S): This mode is the most closely related to the 4K video recording process, and it allows you to playback your video, pause it at a predetermined point, and then use the shutter button to select a frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame. 4K Burst (S/S):
This mode is the most closely related to the 4K video recording process, and it allows you to playback your video, pause it at a
Post-Focus and Focus Stacking are two techniques that can be used.
Another feature of the 4K capabilities is a unique focusing process known as Post Focus, which is only available in 4K.
With the contrast-detection focusing system and the intelligent Depth from Defocus (DFD) technology, Post Focus records imagery as a 4K MP4 file at 30 frames per second and shifts the specific point of focus throughout the burst shooting process in order to provide a variety of distinct focusing ranges to select from.
The camera’s touchscreen allows you to select the particular portion of the image that you want to be in focus as the image is being played back, and an 8MP JPEG file will be produced. You may split the original burst into many distinct files with different points of focus. You can also employ the focusing assist capabilities in order to achieve even more precision when concentrating on a specific in-focus region.
This technology also enables the creation of focus stacking photos in-camera, which allows for a larger depth of field to be achieved, which is very useful for taking close-up subjects. It is possible to capture and preserve photos with varied points of focus in this mode, which may subsequently be mixed together to create an extended depth of field.
Design of the body and the presence of built-in Wi-Fi
- With a Live View Finder (LVF), which is built into the elegant body design, users may monitor their images at a comfortable eye level. This electronic viewfinder has a resolution of 1.166 million dots and fills the whole image frame when shooting at full resolution.
- Alternatively, a 3.0 rear differential “A 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is also available for use with live view shooting, image review, and menu navigation that is both simple and intuitive. Tilting functionality is built into the screen’s architecture, which allows for filming from high and low angles, as well as making front-facing selfies, without having to move the device.
- Several manual controls provide straightforward, direct control over a range of frequently used camera settings, including a control ring encircling the lens that can be customized to modify zoom, shutter speed, manual focus, and ISO sensitivity among other things.
A micro-USB connector on the camera allows you to charge the battery while it is still in use.
380 shots per charge when working with the rear LCD and 250 shots per charge when working with the electronic viewfinder are provided by the rechargeable lithium-ion battery that comes with the camera.
Wireless transmission of photographs and videos to linked smartphones and tablets for direct internet sharing is made possible by the built-in Wi-Fi capability. As a result of this connectivity, you may easily remotely operate the camera from your mobile device.
Additional Camera Functions
- Focus peaking is offered for manual focusing control to make it easier and more precise.
- Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine are some of the creative control modes available.
- Using the Still Image Scene Guide, you may create the following effects: Clear Portrait, Silky Skin, Backlit Softness, Clear in Backlight, Relaxing Tone, Sweet Child’s Face, Distinct Scenery, and Softening Tone. Sky the color of the sky, romantic sunset glow, vibrant sunset glow, gleaming water a clear nightscape, a cool night sky, a warm glowy nightscape, an artistic nightscape, glittering illuminations, etc. There are several types of night shots, including handheld night shot, clear night portrait, soft image of a flower; appetizing food; cute dessert; freeze animal motion; clear sports shot; and monochrome night shot.
- Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, and Custom are the photo style options available.
- Contrast, sharpness, noise reduction, and saturation are all adjustable in the Picture Adjustment options.
Panasonic Lumix ZS70 Specs
|Max resolution||5184 x 3888|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||20 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||21 megapixels|
|Sensor size||1/2.3″ (6.17 x 4.55 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 80-3200 (expands to 6400)|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||6400|
|White balance presets||4|
|Custom white balance||Yes (2 slots)|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, standard|
|Focal length (Equiv.)||24–720 mm|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Multi-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Digital zoom||Yes (2X-4X)|
|Normal focus range||50 cm (19.69″)|
|Macro focus range||3 cm (1.18″)|
|Number of focus points||49|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||4 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/2000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/16000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Flash range||5.60 m (at Auto ISO)|
|Flash modes||Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction, Forced On, Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction, Forced Off|
|Continuous drive||10.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 10 sec, 3 shots / 10 secs)|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Resolutions||3840 x 2160 (30p), 1920 x 1080 (60p, 60i, 30p), 1280 x 720 (30p), 640 x 480 (30p)|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 100 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 28 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 60i / 24 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 60i / 17 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 28 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 20 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC1280 x 720 @ 30p / 10 Mbps, MOV, H.264, AAC|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11 b/g/n|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery description||Lithium-ion battery and charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||380|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||322 g (0.71 lb / 11.36 oz)|
|Dimensions||112 x 67 x 41 mm (4.41 x 2.64 x 1.61″)|
Panasonic Lumix ZS70 Price