We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
The black Panasonic Lumix DCZS80 is a pocketable workhorse with a diverse array of video and still features that will satisfy your multimedia cravings.
Its High-Sensitivity Live MOS sensor, which measures 20.3MP 1/2.3″, produces excellent picture quality with minimal noise and sensitivity up to an extended ISO 6400 for working in challenging lighting circumstances.
The sensor and image processor also offers continuous photography at up to 10 frames per second with single-shot autofocus, 30 frames per second at 8MP in 4K PHOTO modes, and UHD 4K video recording at 30 frames per second.
Additionally, the 4K PHOTO modes let you create promotion photos, which are images that are created by combining many consecutive exposures into a single frame to create a dynamic final effect.
An equally impressive Leica DC Vario-Elmar 30x zoom lens, which covers a 24-720mm equivalent focal length range, is included to complement the sensor’s capabilities. Additionally, the camera features a 5-axis POWER Optical Image Stabilizer, which reduces the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting.
The camera’s small size and the use of both a 2.33 million-dot electronic viewfinder and a 3.0 inch 1.04 million-dot tilting touchscreen LCD are also noteworthy. Additional features such as built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allow you to freely share photos and manage the camera from a connected smartphone or tablet.
MOS sensor with a resolution of 20.3MP and high sensitivity
A 20.3MP 1/2.3″ Great Sensitivity MOS sensor contributes to the achievement of rich picture quality with reduced noise and high sensitivity up to an increased ISO 6400 sensitivity setting.
Continuous shooting speeds of up to 10 frames per second in single-shot AF mode, 5 frames per second with continuous AF, or 30 frames per second at 8MP in the 4K Photo modes are also possible because to the imaging and processing capabilities.
Leica DC Vario-Elmar 30x Zoom Lens is a high-performance zoom lens from Leica.
A really wide 30x Leica DC Vario-Elmar zoom lens with an equivalent focal length range of 24-720mm and a maximum aperture range of f/3.3-6.4 provides a 24-720mm equivalent focal length range.
Five double-sided aspherical elements are used in the lens design to reduce spherical aberrations and distortions across the zoom range, resulting in improved picture clarity and sharpness.
A 5-axis POWER Optical Image Stabilizer, which makes use of the lens’s great reach, adjusts for a range of camera motions, allowing for clearer handheld photography in low-light circumstances.
As a result of the image stabilization technology, a unique Level Shot function is enabled, which automatically identifies the horizontal line of the recording picture and maintains its level during the shooting process, independent of camera tilt, resulting in improved shooting stability.
Modes for 4K video and 4K PHOTO are available.
In addition, the sensor and CPU combination allows for 4K video recording at 30 frames per second in the MP4 format at a speed of 100 megabits per second. The camera can also record in high-definition 1080p and 720p resolutions, as well as in high-speed HD and VGA formats, with slow-motion playback at 120 fps and 240 fps, respectively.
Aside from video, the 4K capabilities allow for the capture of 8MP still images at 30 frames per second in three different ways:
Four-Kill Burst: Similar to video recording, this mode will let you continually record 8MP photographs at 30 frames per second for up to 15 minutes, making it excellent for situations where you need to capture the best moment possible at a fast frame rate.
4K Pre-Burst: This mode is useful for situations in which you are unsure of when to press the shutter button. It will record 8MP images at 30 frames per second one second before and one second after pressing the shutter button, giving you a total of 60 frames to choose from when pressing the shutter button.
4K Burst (S/S): This mode is the most closely related to the 4K video recording process, and it allows you to playback your video, pause it at a predetermined point, and then use the shutter button to select a frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame. 4K Burst (S/S):
This mode is the most closely related to the 4K video recording process, and it allows you to playback your video, pause it at a
Also available in this mode is the ability to combine successively recorded photos captured with 4K PHOTO modes and merge them into a single dynamic image—a promotion—that clearly demonstrates subject movement while maintaining a single static backdrop.
Post-Focus and Focus Stacking are two techniques that can be used.
Another feature of the 4K capabilities is a unique focusing process known as Post Focus, which is only available in 4K. With the contrast-detection focusing system and the intelligent Depth from Defocus (DFD) technology, Post Focus records imagery as a 4K MP4 file at 30 frames per second and shifts the specific point of focus throughout the burst shooting process in order to provide a variety of distinct focusing ranges to select from
. The camera’s touchscreen allows you to select the particular portion of the image that you want to be in focus as the image is being played back, and an 8MP JPEG file will be produced. You may split the original burst into many distinct files with different points of focus.
You can also employ the focusing assist capabilities in order to achieve even more precision when concentrating on a specific in-focus region.
This technology also enables the creation of focus stacking photos in-camera, which allows for a larger depth of field to be achieved, which is very useful for taking close-up subjects. It is possible to capture and preserve photos with varied points of focus in this mode, which may subsequently be mixed together to create an extended depth of field.
Design of the body and the presence of built-in Wi-Fi
- With a Live View Finder (LVF), which is built into the elegant body design, users may monitor their images at a comfortable eye level. Although it only measures 0.21″ by 0.53x, this electronic viewfinder offers a resolution of 2.33 million dots and fills the whole image frame when shooting at maximum magnification.
- For live view shooting, picture evaluation, and easy menu navigation, a 3.0″ 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is also available on the rear of the camera. Tilting functionality is built into the screen’s architecture, which allows for filming from high and low angles, as well as making front-facing selfies, without having to move the device.
- Several manual controls provide straightforward, direct control over a range of frequently used camera settings, including a control ring encircling the lens that can be customized to modify zoom, shutter speed, manual focus, and ISO sensitivity among other things.
A micro-USB connector on the camera allows you to charge the battery while it is still in use.
If you are using the rear LCD, the integrated rechargeable lithium-ion battery will give you 380 shots per charge; with the electronic viewfinder, you will get 250 shots per charge; and with the electronic viewfinder in the eco 30-fps mode, you will get 340 shots per charge.
Integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allow you to wirelessly transfer photographs and videos to linked smartphones and tablets for straight uploading to the internet or sharing on social media sites. As a result of this connectivity, you may easily remotely operate the camera from your mobile device.
Additional Camera Functions
Depth from Defocus (DFD) technology provides very quick and precise autofocus performance, making it ideal for capturing moving subjects in low-light conditions.
- Focus peaking is offered for manual focusing control to make it easier and more precise.
- Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine are some of the creative control modes available.
- Using the Still Image Scene Guide, you may create the following effects: Clear Portrait, Silky Skin, Backlit Softness, Clear in Backlight, Relaxing Tone, Sweet Child’s Face, Distinct Scenery, and Softening Tone. Sky the color of the sky, romantic sunset glow, vibrant sunset glow, gleaming water a clear nightscape, a cool night sky, a warm glowy nightscape, an artistic nightscape, glittering illuminations, etc. There are several types of night shots, including: handheld night shot, clear night portrait, soft image of a flower; appetizing food; cute dessert; freeze animal motion; clear sports shot; and monochrome night shot.
- Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, and Custom are the photo style options available.
- Contrast, sharpness, noise reduction, and saturation are all adjustable in the Picture Adjustment options.
Panasonic Lumix ZS80 Specs
|MSRP||$449 / £399 / €449|
|Max resolution||5184 x 3888|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||20 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||21 megapixels|
|Sensor size||1/2.3″ (6.17 x 4.55 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 80-3200 (expands to 6400)|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||6400|
|White balance presets||5|
|Custom white balance||Yes (4 sots)|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, standard|
|Focal length (equiv.)||24–720 mm|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Multi-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Digital zoom||Yes (4X)|
|Normal focus range||50 cm (19.69″)|
|Macro focus range||3 cm (1.18″)|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||4 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/2000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/16000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Flash range||5.60 m (with Auto ISO)|
|Flash modes||Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction, Forced On, Forced On/Red-eye Reduction, Slow Sync, Slow Sync/Red-eye Reduction, Forced Off|
|Continuous drive||10.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 100 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 100 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 28 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 28 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 20 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 20 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-I supported)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery description||DMW-BLG10 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||380|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||327 g (0.72 lb / 11.53 oz)|
|Dimensions||112 x 69 x 42 mm (4.41 x 2.72 x 1.65″)|