Known for its high-resolution still images and Full HD movies, the Sony a6000 Mirrorless Camera is an extremely versatile and advanced mirrorless camera equipped with an Exmor APS-C-sized 24.3MP Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor and a BIONZ X image processor that produces exceptional low-light quality as well as high sensitivity up to ISO 25600.
Along with the camera’s outstanding imaging characteristics, the image processor also allows for continuous shooting at up to 11 frames per second and a sophisticated Fast Hybrid AF system that employs both phases- and contrast-detection techniques to swiftly and precisely acquire focus as needed.
Both a large rear monitor and a detailed electronic viewfinder are available for use in monitoring live views, playing back images, and navigating the menu system. The 3.0 is a version of the 3.0 “XtraFine LCD panel with 921k dots and tilting architecture to make it simpler to use from both high and low angles. It also integrates WhiteMagic technology to make it easier to see in bright environments.
The 0.39 is the result of a calculation “Featuring 100% frame coverage and a sophisticated optical design, the 1,440k-dot Tru-Finder OLED EVF enables natural viewing perspectives and magnification. The a6000’s body design also includes a user interface that can be customized.
It is comprised of many customizable buttons and two control knobs, and it allows for quick and straightforward access to frequently used camera settings and functions. In addition, a Multi Interface shoe is provided for connecting external flashes, continuous lights, and microphones, among other things.
The a6000 includes built-in Wi-Fi networking, which includes compatibility for NFC-enabled devices, to enable remote camera operation and image sharing to linked mobile devices. In addition to these standard features, customers will have access to the XAVC S format, which can record Full HD 1080p video at 24, 30, and 60 frames per second, with firmware version 2.0.
Because it allows the camera to capture images at a high bit rate of 50 Mbps, which retains more information than AVCHD and produces fewer artifacts, this format will significantly enhance video quality. In addition, users will be forced to utilize SDXC memory cards with a size of 64GB or larger that are classified as Class 10 or faster.
The camera body comes with a Sony E-mount 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Zoom Lens, which has a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-75mm. The lens is included with the camera body. This variety of viewpoints is well-suited for everyday shooting, and it is further enhanced by the incorporation of Optical SteadyShot picture stabilization, which helps to minimize the impression of camera wobble. Using Power Zoom technology, the zoom position may be controlled electronically.
The addition of one extra-low dispersion element and four aspherical elements helps to eliminate chromatic aberrations across the zoom range while also contributing to a high level of overall sharpness.
Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor with 24.3MP resolution and BIONZ X image processor
When used in conjunction, the 24.3MP Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor and the powerful BIONZ X image processor deliver high-quality, well-detailed images with little noise, excellent low-light performance, and sensitivity up to ISO 25600.
An on-chip lens design with no gaps between nearby pixels is used in the sensor, which fills the spaces between neighboring pixels with tailored lenses that match the angle of incidence to boost light-collecting capabilities while maintaining edge-to-edge clarity and quality.
The CPU also adds to the camera system’s overall performance, which includes Fast Hybrid AF, a maximum continuous shooting rate of 11 frames per second, and Full HD 1080i/p video recording at a variety of frame rates.
A system with Hybrid AF with Quick Response Time
It takes as little as 0.06 seconds for the Fast Hybrid AF system, which employs a phase-detection system with 171 points and a contrast-detection system with 25 points, to establish accurate focus. A Spatial Object Detection algorithm is used to bring the subject into focus quickly.
The contrast-detection AF points, which have wide AF coverage, are used to fine-tune the sharpness of the image for guaranteed accuracy. The phase-detection AF points are used to quickly bring the subject into focus.
This technology, in addition to enabling single-shot modes, also allows AF tracking when shooting at speeds of up to 11 frames per second in continuous high mode, and it works flawlessly when recording Full HD videos.
To fine-tune the image, even more, a variety of different autofocus settings may be selected based on the topic. To capture cleanly rendered portraits, the Eye AF feature prioritizes the pupil of the subject and devotes all of the camera’s focusing performance to it.
This focusing approach is specifically designed for usage with moving subjects, and it modifies the target frame size in response to how far a subject travels within the picture frame. It is possible to prioritize various regions inside the frame for better accuracy by using the AF area settings; moreover, the AF-A (Automatic AF), AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C (Continuous AF), DMF (Direct manual focus), and Manual Focus modes may all be selected from the menu.
Full-HD video recording is available.
Full HD 1080p video recording at 60, 30, and 24 frames per second is enabled using the high-quality 50 Mbps XAVC S codec. Other recording choices include the ability to record in the AVCHD and MP4 codecs, with support for up to 1080p60 video at 28 Mbps, and the ability to record in the H.264 codec.
It is also possible to record videos in two different formats at the same time, with the option to use either the XAVC S or the AVCHD codecs, as well as a duplicate MP4 file that may be used for increased efficiency when sharing films online. It is also possible to record uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 video from both 1080i60 and 1080p60 video using the inbuilt HDMI type D output to an optional external recorder utilizing the integrated HDMI type D output.
A built-in stereo microphone is integrated into the design of the a6000, which records audio in the Linear PCM 2-channel format for XAVC S movies, the AC-3 Dolby Digital format for AVCHD movies, and the MPEG-4 AAC-LC format for web-quality MP4 videos. This feature complements the video capabilities of the a6000.
Manual focus peaking and a zebra feature are also provided, which are intended to aid in working in manual focus and to ensure that highlight detail is preserved, respectively, when shooting in manual focus.
A marker setting may also be displayed on the back LCD screen, allowing for the display of a center marker, guide frame, aspect marker, safety zone, and other relevant elements for video recording, among other things.
Design of the Body
- The Sony a6000 is a tiny and lightweight camera with a big rear LCD monitor that revolves around a compact and lightweight profile. It includes both an electronic viewfinder and an electronic viewfinder.
- The Tru-Finder 0.39 is a tool for finding truth “With a refined optical system that includes four double-sided aspherical elements to give 100 percent frame coverage and a wide 33° viewing angle for clear edge-to-edge viewing, the 1,440k-dot OLED EVF is a great addition to any camera.
- The design of the electronic viewfinder provides a genuine live view image, which is capable of simulating the appearance of the completed image before shooting, as well as focusing aids such as MF Assist and the Peaking feature, which may be used before shooting.
- The 3.0 is a version of 3.0 “The rear Xtra Fine display, with a resolution of 921k dots, is a bigger option that is ideal for creating correct compositions, examining imagery, and navigating the menu system. It has a tilting mechanism that allows it to be tilted upward about 90 degrees or downward 45 degrees to benefit from working at high and low angles.
- Additionally, WhiteMagic technology helps to improve the overall brightness of the screen, making it easier to operate the device under bright or sunny lighting situations.
- Additionally, a configurable user interface is included with the a6000, which contains an Fn function button as well as seven additional buttons that may be assigned to one of 47 different purposes and can be customized based on the user’s preferences.
- Furthermore, two top knobs provide a simple way of adjusting critical camera settings quickly and efficiently. An integrated pop-up flash with a guide number of 19.7′ at ISO 100 is available for working in low-light situations, and a Multi Interface Shoe is also available for attaching additional on-camera accessories like flashes, video lights, and microphones to the camera body.
Wi-Fi connectivity is pre-installed.
The a6000’s built-in Wi-Fi connectivity allows it to rapidly transfer imagery to mobile devices for direct uploading to social media sites, sending through email, and storing in cloud storage services.
Near Field Communication (NFC) is also enabled, allowing for a one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices without the need for any complicated setup. If a mobile device is connected to the camera, it may also display a live view image on its screen and control the camera’s shutter remotely.
Additional PlayMemories Camera Apps are enabled through the camera’s built-in Wi-Fi connection, allowing you to customize the camera’s functions based on your preferred shooting style.
A wide range of apps is available to assist with the creation of portraits, detailed close-ups, sports, time-lapse photography, motion photography, and other sorts of photos.
SD, SDHC, SDXC, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, and Memory Stick XC-HG Duo memory cards are all available.
Zoom Lens for Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Telephoto Zoom
When used in conjunction with the black 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Zoom Lens, the equivalent focal length range of 24-75mm is achieved. This allows for working in a broad range of conditions while still maintaining sharp, high-quality image quality.
This camera is equipped with Optical SteadyShot picture stabilization, which helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed steps, which is extremely useful when working in low-light circumstances or with higher zoom magnifications.
One extra-low dispersion element and four aspherical elements are incorporated into the optical construction to aid in the reduction of chromatic aberrations as well as the enhancement of clarity, sharpness, and contrast, and the Power Zoom electronically-driven zoom mechanism improves the efficiency with which the zoom position of the lens is controlled.
Additional Camera Functions
- The Sony E-mount is compatible with a large variety of lenses and lens adapters, making it a versatile mount.
- When used in multi-segment, center-weighted, or spot metering modes, an innovative 1200-zone evaluative exposure metering sensor produces consistent and precise results.
- Auto Object Framing is an intelligent photography option that can automatically evaluate a scene and the subjects included within it to establish an artistically attractive composition to capture it. In the next images, the subject matter will be cropped by the composition, resulting in a well-balanced composition that makes use of Face Detection and Tracking Focus to ensure great picture quality and clarity throughout.
- Clear Image Zoom may be used to magnify the center of scenes by two times, allowing any focal length lens to be utilized to effectively increase the reach of the lens. This digital zoom technique makes use of a sophisticated interpolation procedure to reduce the degree of picture deterioration, resulting in realistic and high-quality images that are easy to read.
- Picture Effect options allow you to apply creative settings to individual photographs and accentuate certain features of those images for more rich and aesthetically pleasing picture quality. Posterization (color/b&w), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-Key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-Tone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration modes are all available. Other features include a variety of filters and effects.
- The Photo Creativity function gives you rapid access to Picture Effects as well as unique settings for modifying the background defocus, brightness, color, and vibrancy of your photographs. These effects can also be combined to create a virtually endless number of possible configurations.
- Superior Auto mode is an intelligent automatic option that can swiftly analyze the current shooting situation and alter critical camera settings to produce optimal results. It is available in both DSLR and mirrorless cameras. Aside from that, this mode makes use of the Auto HDR and Hand-held Twilight modes, which make use of picture compositing techniques to better manage tough lighting circumstances.
- While shooting in low light circumstances, Anti-Motion Blur automatically corrects for subject movement, resulting in a clean, clear picture. To do this, six successive frames are recorded and elements of each frame are composited to assure overall sharpness.
- When operating in low-light circumstances, the Hand-held Twilight Mode automatically combines information from six sequentially-recorded photographs to achieve greater overall image clarity than would otherwise be possible.
- When using Multi-Frame NR, a series of sequential photos with a lower ISO sensitivity are recorded and then composited into one single image, which results in better effective sensitivity with the smallest amount of image noise.
- In photographs with backlit figures or situations with strong contrast, the Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) works to improve the quality of the image by bringing out details that might otherwise be lost in shadows or highlights. This mode may be regulated automatically or fine-tuned with the help of five different configuration options.
- Auto HDR automatically captures three consecutive frames of a picture and then blends them into a single frame to get better shadow and highlight detail while also extending the range of mid-tones in a single frame.
- Creative Style controls how the camera processes photographs depending on six distinct established styles: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, and B&W. Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, and B&W. Individual preferences may be accommodated through the use of contrast, saturation, and sharpness adjustments within these parameters.
- It is possible to create 4K slide presentations in-camera for playback on ultra high definition screens, which will result in a richer viewing experience. Additionally, an HDMI connector has been added to the camera’s architecture to allow for direct connection to high-definition televisions.
- In addition, the a6000 provides TRILUMINOS Color support, which allows for the display of images in rich, realistic colors on a TRILUMINOS Display while using the camera.
- It is possible to charge the inbuilt lithium-ion battery in the camera via a convenient USB connection, which can be connected to either an AC outlet or a PC source.
Sony a6000 Specs
|MSRP||$799 with 16-50mm Powerzoom|
|Body type||Rangefinder-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Other resolutions||6000 x 3376, 4240 x 2832, 4240 x 2400, 3008 x 2000, 3008 x 1688|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||25 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-25600 (51200 with Multi-Frame NR)|
|White balance presets||10|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|JPEG quality levels||Extra fine, fine, normal|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousFace DetectionLive View|
|Digital zoom||Yes (2X)|
|Number of focus points||179|
|Lens mount||Sony E|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder magnification||1.05× (0.7× 35mm Equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Flash range||6.00 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (via Multi Interface Shoe)|
|Flash modes||Flash off, auto, fill-flaw, slow sync, redeye reduction, hi-speed sync, wireless control|
|Continuous drive||11.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 10 sec, continuous (3-5 shot))|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (3, 5 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV steps)|
|Resolutions||1920 x 1080 (60p, 60i, 24p), 1440 x 1080 (30p, 25p), 640 x 480 (30p, 25p)|
|Storage types||SD/ SDHC/SDXC, Memory Stick Pro Duo/ Pro-HG Duo|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n with NFC|
|Remote control||Yes (wired or PC)|
|Battery description||NP-FW50 lithium-ion battery and USB charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||360|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||344 g (0.76 lb / 12.13 oz)|
|Dimensions||120 x 67 x 45 mm (4.72 x 2.64 x 1.77″)|