APS-C format mirrorless camera with excellent image quality and rapid performance, the Sony Alpha a6500 is well suited for both picture and video applications.
It is stable, fast, and adaptable. Based on a 24.2MP Exmor CMOS sensor and a BIONZ X image processor, the camera offers clean image quality with a wide expandable sensitivity range up to ISO 51200. It also features accelerated readout speeds for internal 4K30 and Full HD 1080p120 video recording with full pixel readout, as well as internal 4K30 and Full HD 1080p120 video recording with full pixel readout.
An S&Q (Slow & Quick) Motion mode, which allows for the capture of Full HD video at a choice of frame rates ranging from 1-120 frames per second, is another feature that will be of particular interest to videographers.
Stills photographers will also benefit from the fast processing speed, which allows for continuous shooting at 11 frames per second for up to 301 JPEGs in a burst, as well as raw file output at 14 bits per pixel. 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization, which is compatible with all attached lenses and is beneficial for both stills and video, reduces the appearance of camera shake, and allows for working with slower shutter speeds.
In addition, the sensor and processor combination offers 4D FOCUS, which combines a wide-coverage 425-point phase-detection system with a 169-area contrast detection system to provide rapid and exact focusing results.
Additionally, High-density Tracking AF is enabled by this focusing technology, allowing for more efficient and precise tracking of moving targets across the image frame. The Sony a6500 is a quick and precise imaging tool for multimedia capture that is becoming increasingly flexible and fully equipped in both the photo and video domains.
In addition to its photographic capabilities, the a6500 has a durable magnesium alloy body that is dust- and moisture-resistant, allowing it to be used in severe settings.
For bright, crisp, eye-level viewing, the small profile integrates a high-resolution XGA Tru-Finder 2.36 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder with 120 frames per second viewing mode for seamless tracking of fast-moving subjects.
A 3.0 in the back “Additionally, a 921.6k-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is offered, which features a tilting design that allows for shooting from both high and low working angles, as well as a touchscreen that enables for easy touch-to-focus operation.
Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows connection with a mobile device for simple wireless control over the camera, whether for wireless remote control over the camera or just for sharing photos on the internet.
Exmor CMOS sensor with 24.2MP resolution and BIONZ X processor
In conjunction with the BIONZ X image processor, the APS-C format 24.2MP Exmor CMOS sensor produces smooth, nuanced image quality with little noise and high sensitivity from ISO 100 to 25600, which can be further increased to ISO 51200 for working in low-light circumstances.
An innovative design that makes use of thin copper wires, enhanced circuit processing, and an enhanced front-end LSI helps to improve light-gathering abilities, reduce noise, and increase readout speeds, all of which are beneficial to video recording. The sensor is available in a variety of sizes and can be used in a variety of applications.
With the sensor and processor combination, you can shoot at a maximum continuous shooting rate of 11 frames per second for up to 311 standard JPEG frames or 107 raw frames in a single burst while maintaining autofocus and exposure. You can also shoot in 14-bit raw format for a wider tonal and color range.
5-Axis SteadyShot Image Stabilization INSIDE the camera
Camera shaking can be compensated for using the 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization feature built into the slimline a6500, which is effective for 5-stops and adjusts for five distinct forms of shake encountered while shooting stills and video handheld.
The ability to utilize any lens, even adapted lenses, for important images without encountering blur due to camera shake is a huge advantage for photographers.
When working with longer focal lengths, the system will compensate for pitch and yaw corrections automatically. The incorporation of horizontal and vertical shift correction will, on the other hand, be beneficial for macro and high-magnification pictures.
The roll compensation will be beneficial to photographers of all shooting types. No matter if you are using third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization, all five axes of stabilization will always be active and working properly.
FOCUS IN 4D
A robust 4D FOCUS system, which covers practically the whole sensor surface, contains 425 on-chip phase-detection points as well as 169 contrast-detection regions for perfect focusing in as little as 0.05 seconds.
The system can focus in as little as 0.05 seconds. With the high density of focusing points provided by this hybrid AF technology, High-density Tracking AF Technology is enabled, which is capable of tracking moving subjects in a range of lighting situations.
Using phase-detection points also allows the use of A-mount lenses with complete AF compatibility when using the optional LA-EA3 or LA-EA1 lens mount adapters, which are available separately.
For even greater precision, the apt 4D FOCUS system is capable of a variety of focusing functions. These include Lock-on AF, which retains the focus on moving subjects throughout the use of a configurable frame that is placed over the desired moving subject and Expand Flexible Spot, which employs neighboring focus points to maintain the focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus.
Additionally, Eye AF, which can be used to focus on identified subjects’ eyes for portraiture and is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes, may be used to base focus on recognized subjects’ eyes. When focusing on minute subject details, autofocus can be utilized in concert with the Focus Magnifier feature to achieve critical focus on the topic at hand.
In addition to autofocus, the a6500 includes a Peaking MF mode, which aids manual focus control by highlighting strong edges of contrast for a more objective manner of achieving fine focus during manual focus control.
Video Recording in Ultra High Definition (4K)
It is possible to record UHD 4K movies internally at multiple frame rates up to 30 frames per second. Based on the Super35mm recording area and effective 20MP (6000 x 3376) resolution, 2.4x oversampling provides greater detail, and full pixel readout, which means no pixel binning, is possible for higher quality imagery with reduced moiré and aliasing.
It is also possible to record in full HD 1080p at frame rates of up to 120 frames per second, and both resolutions make use of the 100 Mbps XAVC S codec, which is stored behind an MP4 wrapper with 4:2:0 sampling. The high-speed, 120-frame-per-second recording also allows for 4x and 5x slow-motion video recording at frame rates of either 30p or 24p, depending on the frame rate setting.
An optional external recorder capable of clear 4K recording with 4:2:2 sampling can be used in conjunction with the high-resolution internal recordings made possible by the uncompressed HDMI output, which is also available.
While recording a 4K video, users will have the option of creating 8MP still images during playback by capturing a frame grab from the video and saving it as a separate file.
Custom color profiles and S-Log3 gamma are both available.
Support is now available for the S-Gamut3.Cine/S-Log-3 and S-Gamut3/S-Log3 profiles, provide up to a 1300 percent wider dynamic range for smoother tonal and color gradations, as well as improved sensitivity and clarity in shadows and mid-tones.
The S-Gamut3.The cine/S-Log-3 profile provides up to a 1300 percent wider dynamic range for smoother tonal and color gradations, as well The use of these profiles allows for more interoperability within a professional workflow, and they are particularly well-suited to the Cineon Log gamma curve, which allows for versatile post-production grading and color management.
Aside from that, the S-Log3 gamma setting provides an impressive 14-stop wide dynamic range, allowing for greater control over highlights and shadows. The S-Gamut3.Cine profile, on the other hand, can be used to simulate the qualities of the scanned negative film while providing a wide gamut comparable to the DCI-P3 color space. The popular S-Log2 setting is also available, as is the popular S-Log3 setting.
Motion in both slow and rapid motion
Using the S&Q mode, you may have greater control over your video capture capabilities by using a number of different frame rates that are accessible in S&Q mode. Shooters will be able to capture Full HD footage at one of two frame rates: one step between 1-120 frames per second or one step between 1-120 frames per second.
These options will allow you to slow down fast-moving action while simultaneously speeding up a slow-moving scenario. This parameter is also switchable between NTSC and PAL.
Assist with Zebra and Gamma Displays
An improved Zebra function is particularly well suited for use with S-Log gamma profiles, and it may be used to keep track of exposure levels in situations with strong contrast. Video signal level goals may be set anywhere between 0 and 109, and particular ranges can be defined to facilitate adjusting the exposure level easily.
However, when using S-Log settings, a Gamma Display Assist option is also available, which displays scenes with natural contrast when the camera is set to this mode. This function transforms pictures to the ITU709 profile, which allows for simpler on-camera monitoring of the captured images.
Setting the Time Code and the User Bits
A time code may be used to record hours, minutes, seconds, and frames on picture data for more exact editing, while the User Bit function can record the date, time, and scene number to help in the editing of video from various cameras when putting together footage from numerous cameras.
Design of the body and the presence of built-in Wi-Fi
- A sturdy magnesium alloy body provides a long-lasting profile, and it also contains dust and moisture sealing to defend against the elements in tough conditions. That same resilience is reflected in the shutter’s construction, which has been designed to last for more than 200,000 cycles.
- While the XGA Tru-Finder 2.36 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder provides a bright, high-resolution method for eye-level monitoring, it also features an additional 120 frames per second option for smoother vision while following moving subjects.
- A 3.0 on the scale “It is possible to tilt the 921.6k-dot LCD touchscreen by 90 degrees upward or 45 degrees downward to accommodate working from high and low angles, respectively. White Magic technology with an RGBW pixel structure is also integrated into the screen, allowing it to be used in strong daylight circumstances with improved brightness.
- While looking through the viewfinder, the touchscreen design provides access to Touch Focus control, which allows for immediate focus point selection, as well as a Touchpad feature, which allows you to smoothly and intuitively pick a focus point on the screen while looking through the viewfinder.
- Nine programmable buttons may be assigned to operate more than 64 different operations, allowing for more straightforward operation.
- The NP-FW50 rechargeable lithium-ion battery that comes with the camera is rated for 350 photos per charge when using the viewfinder and 400 shots per charge when using the LCD screen.
- In addition to being powered by the battery, the a6500 may also be powered via a USB connection to a computer or a portable battery. It is also possible to charge the battery using this connection.
- A solid metal lens mount provides more stability when working with bigger and heavier lens designs.
- When shooting for lengthy periods of time, an ergonomic grip structure is essential since it allows for quick access to the camera’s principal control buttons and dials.
- Because of the built-in Wi-Fi, the a6500 can instantaneously transmit imagery to mobile devices for direct uploading to social media sites, sending through email, and storing in cloud storage services like Dropbox. Near Field Communication (NFC) is also enabled, allowing for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices without the need for any complicated set-up. If a mobile device is connected to the camera, it may also display a live view image on its screen and control the camera’s shutter remotely.
The use of a Bluetooth connection enables the capture of location data.
PlayMemories Camera Apps, which are accessible via the camera’s built-in Wi-Fi connection, allow you to customize the camera’s functions based on your preferred shooting style. A wide range of apps are available to assist with the creation of portraits, detailed close-ups, sports, time-lapse photography, motion photography, and other sorts of photos.
16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens from the E PZ series
The bundled E PZ 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens has an equivalent focal length range of 24-75mm, allowing you to capture viewpoints ranging from wide-angle to portrait-length to suit a broad range of shooting circumstances and conditions.
This camera is equipped with Optical SteadyShot picture stabilization, which helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed steps, which is extremely useful when working in low-light circumstances or with higher zoom magnifications.
One extra-low dispersion element and four aspherical elements are incorporated into the optical construction to aid in the reduction of chromatic aberrations as well as the enhancement of clarity, sharpness, and contrast, and the Power Zoom electronically-driven zoom mechanism improves the efficiency with which the zoom position of the lens is controlled.
Additional Camera Functions
- The use of the Highlight and Average metering modes helps to avoid blown-out highlights and to offer steady auto-exposure, respectively, in low-light situations.
- It is possible to tween the exposure settings for each metering mode individually from -1 to +1 EV in 1/6-stop increments using the exposure standard adjustment feature.
- With the Silent Shooting mode, the camera makes use of an electronic shutter feature to provide fully silent operation, which is perfect for photography in noise-sensitive environments. When employing this mode, continuous shooting at up to 3 frames per second with autofocus and auto-exposure is possible.
- When using Multi-Frame NR, a series of sequential photos with a lower ISO sensitivity are recorded and then composited into one single image, which results in better effective sensitivity with the smallest amount of image noise.
- In photographs with backlit figures or situations with strong contrast, the Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) works to improve the quality of the image by bringing out details that might otherwise be lost in shadows or highlights. This mode may be regulated automatically or fine-tuned with the help of five different configuration options.
- Auto HDR automatically captures three consecutive frames of a picture and then blends them into a single frame to get better shadow and highlight detail while also extending the range of mid-tones in a single frame.
- When used in multi-segment, center-weighted, or spot metering modes, an innovative 1200-zone evaluative exposure metering sensor produces consistent and precise results.
- It is possible to define a minimum shutter speed setting while using ISO Auto settings in order to better assure clear pictures.
- Clear Image Zoom may be used to magnify the center of scenes by two times, allowing any focal length lens to be utilized to effectively increase the reach of the lens. This digital zoom technique makes use of a sophisticated interpolation procedure to reduce the degree of picture deterioration, resulting in realistic and high-quality images that are easy to read.
- There are many different types of picture effects, such as posterization (color and black and white), retro photo, partial color (R, G, B, Y), toy camera, soft high key, soft focus, and HDR painting. There are also several different types of illustration, such as watercolor and illustration.
- Creativity Styles include Standard; Vivid; Neutral; Clear; Deep; Light; Portrait; Landscape; Sunset; Night Scene; Autumn Leaves; Black & White; and Sepia. Contrast, saturation, and sharpness may be changed in steps of +/- 3.
Sony a6500 specs
|MSRP||$1400 (body only)|
|Body type||Rangefinder-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||25 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-25600 (expandable to 51200)|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||51200|
|White balance presets||8|
|Image stabilization notes||5-axis|
|JPEG quality levels||Extra fine, fine, standard|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||425|
|Lens mount||Sony E|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder magnification||1.07× (0.71× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Flash range||6.00 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash modes||Flash off, Autoflash, Fill-flash, Rear Sync., Slow Sync., Red-eye reduction (On/Off selectable), Hi-speed sync, Wireless|
|Continuous drive||11.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (3, 5 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV steps)|
|WB Bracketing||Yes (3 frames, H/L selectable)|
|Format||MPEG-4, AVCHD, XAVC S|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 100p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 100p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 28 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 28 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 60i / 24 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 60i / 17 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 28 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 28 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 50i / 24 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 50i / 17 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 16 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 6 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 24 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 17 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 16 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 24 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 17 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Dolby Digital1280 x 720 @ 25p / 6 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC + Memory Stick Pro Duo|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n + NFC|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||350|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||453 g (1.00 lb / 15.98 oz)|
|Dimensions||120 x 67 x 53 mm (4.72 x 2.64 x 2.09″)|