The Sony a7 III is a well-rounded camera that is distinguished by its upgraded sensor architecture. It is excellent for both picture and video applications and can be used in a range of working environments.
The full-frame 24.2MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor, which have been refined for improved speed and low-light performance, work together to achieve an impressive 10 frames per second continuous shooting rate, improved autofocus performance for faster, more reliable subject tracking, and wide frame coverage, among other things.
Fast Hybrid AF System combines a combination of 693 phase-detection points and 425 contrast-detection regions to achieve faster focus acquisition in a range of lighting settings, as well as better subject tracking and focus maintenance on subjects.
In addition to improving speed and autofocus, the processing enhancements also contribute to improved image quality and decreased noise over the whole ISO 100-51200 sensitivity range, which may be further extended to ISO 50-204800.
Enhanced video recording features, including the ability to capture UHD 4K footage with the entire width of the full-frame sensor to eliminate moiré and aliasing, have also been added.
Additional improvements to both stills and video capture are made possible by the inclusion of 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE sensor-shift image stabilization, which is now effective in reducing the appearance of camera shake by up to 5 stops in both stills and video.
Aside from enhancements to the imaging system, the a7 III’s body design has been changed to accommodate a 3.0-liter V6 engine at the back “Tilting touchscreen LCD with 922k dots and a tilting design to better enable working from high and low angles.
There’s also a bright and crisp 2.36m-dot Tru-Finder OLED EVF for monitoring at eye level that’s available. For increased shooting versatility, twin SD memory card slots are now available, and the NP-FZ100 battery has been upgraded to provide up to roughly 710 photos per charge, making it the most powerful of its class.
The magnesium-alloy chassis and weather-sealing of the a7 III make it dust- and moisture-resistant, making it ideal for usage in challenging environments.
Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor with 24.2MP resolution and BIONZ X image processor
The full-frame 24.2-megapixel Exmor R CMOS sensor, which has a back-illuminated design, works in conjunction with the BIONZ X image engine to capture high-resolution stills and video while minimizing noise and increasing speed.
Improved light collection and detail enhancement are achieved by the use of this sensor structure in conjunction with an on-chip lens design that is gapless and has an anti-reflection coating.
Another benefit of using the copper wire layer is that it significantly increases the data transfer speed while making 14-bit, high-resolution stills with a native ISO sensitivity range of 100-51200, which can be further enhanced to ISO 50-204800 with a digital camera.
Aside from that, it allows for internal UHD 4K video recording with a broad dynamic range while utilizing the entire width of the full-frame sensor. As mentioned above, the BIONZ X processor works in concert with an advanced LSI to provide quicker processing speeds while still capturing images with an amazing 15-stop dynamic range at low sensitivity levels.
In addition, the sensor and CPU combination allows for rapid continuous shooting at up to 10 frames per second at full resolution for up to 177 consecutive frames, as well as full-time AF/AE whether using either a mechanical shutter or an electronic shutter.
When shooting in live view mode, it is possible to achieve a continuous shooting rate of up to 8 frames per second.
A system with Hybrid AF with Quick Response Time
A refined 4D FOCUS system now combines a mix of 693 phase-detection points, which cover roughly 93 percent of the frame, and 425 contrast-detection regions to provide dependable and speedy focusing and subject tracking performance, as well as improved subject tracking performance.
When compared to prior a7 models, its Fast Hybrid AF System delivers double the focusing speed and twice the reliability of tracking, as well as better low-light focusing performance.
The use of phase-detection points also permits the use of A-mount lenses with full continuous AF/AE tracking compatibility when using the optional LA-EA3 or LA-EA1 lens mount adapters, which are available separately.
For improved accuracy, the apt focus system is also capable of a variety of focusing functions. These include Lock-on AF, which maintains focus on moving subjects throughout the use of a configurable frame that is placed over the desired moving subject; and Expand Flexible Spot, which employs neighboring focus points to maintain focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus.
Additionally, Eye AF, which can be used to focus on identified subjects’ eyes for portraiture and is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes, may be used to base focus on recognized subjects’ eyes. When focusing on minute subject details, autofocus can be utilized in concert with the Focus Magnifier feature to achieve critical focus on the topic at hand.
It is also possible to utilize the back touchscreen for Touch Focus control, and a Touchpad Focus Control mode allows you to operate the rear touchscreen in an easy manner while keeping your gaze fixed on the viewfinder.
5-Axis SteadyShot Image Stabilization INSIDE the camera
The powerful a7 III is equipped with a 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization technology that adjusts for five distinct forms of camera shaking that can occur while shooting stills and video with the camera in hand. The ability to utilize any lens, even adapted lenses, for important images without encountering blur due to camera shake is a huge advantage for photographers.
When working with longer focal lengths, the system will compensate for pitch and yaw corrections automatically. The incorporation of horizontal and vertical shift correction will, on the other hand, be beneficial for macro and high-magnification pictures.
The roll compensation will be beneficial to photographers of all shooting types. No matter if you are using third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization, all five axes of stabilization will always be active and working properly.
UHD 4K video recording in the XAVC S format is supported.
2.4x oversampling provides greater detail, and full pixel readout, which is devoid of pixel binning, allows for higher quality imagery with reduced moiré and aliasing. Internal recording of UHD 4K movies at multiple frame rates up to 30 frames per second is possible and using oversampling results in greater detail.
A significant improvement has also been made to full-frame 4K recording in order to increase quality while operating at medium to high sensitivities, allowing for full utilization of the complete sensor width. Full HD 1080p recording is also available at frame rates up to 120 fps, and both resolutions make use of the 100 Mb/s XAVC S format contained within an MP4 wrapper with 4:2:0 sampling, as well as the 100 Mb/s XAVC S format housed within an MP4 wrapper with 4:2:0 sampling.
The high-speed, 120-frame-per-second recording also allows for 4x and 5x slow-motion video recording at frame rates of either 30p or 24p, depending on the frame rate setting. An optional external recorder capable of clear 4K recording with 4:2:2 sampling can be used in conjunction with the high-resolution internal recordings made possible by the uncompressed HDMI output, which is also available.
The a7 III has extensive color and gamma adjustments that can be customized to suit individual needs. Users may modify the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and more. The S-Log2 Gamma Curve used on high-end Sony Cinema cameras, which squeezes up to 1300 percent more dynamic range into the video signal than typical REC709, can also be used to boost post-production versatility.
The HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) color space is also supported, as is the BT.2020 color space, for recording images with a wide color gamut. In addition to S-Log2, S-Log3 is also supported for producing images with an effective 14-stop dynamic range and increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image. The BT.2020 color space is also supported.
Design of the body as well as the presence of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- An XGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF is included, with a resolution of 2.36 million dots and a magnification of 0.78x, allowing for bright, crisp viewing in fine detail. Aside from allowing the use of autofocus when utilizing the Focus Magnifier mode, this viewfinder design also allows for enhanced focusing peaking to assist with manual focus operation.
- In addition to the EVF, a 3.0 is included “A back LCD with 922k dots is also available, which has a touch panel design for intuitive operation and focusing adjustment, among other features. In addition, the screen tilts upward at 107° and downward at 41° to profit from working at high and low angles, respectively.
- The magnesium-alloy chassis ensures strength, durability, and stability while staying lightweight and aerodynamically efficient. The lens mount has also been upgraded to better accept large lenses, and the grip stiffness has been increased to provide a more comfortable grip when using the camera.
- Weather-sealing has been used to keep dust and moisture out of the system, allowing it to operate reliably under adverse weather conditions.
- The battery life of the a7 III has been enhanced because of the use of the NP-FZ100 battery, which is now rated at roughly 710 photos per charge.
- Dual SD memory card slots enable more flexible file storing and processing and may be configured to divide raw and JPEG files, as well as to record overflow data while the camera is not in use. One of the card slots has been certified to accept UHS-II memory cards, which are currently unavailable.
- As an alternative to the existing micro-USB charging connector, a USB 3.0 Type-C connection has been introduced to provide speedier and more reliable tethering compatibility. The USB Type-C connection enables the camera to be charged from the host power source while it is attached to the host power source.
- Because of the built-in Wi-Fi, the a7 III can rapidly transfer images to mobile devices for direct uploading to social media sites, sending through email, or storing in cloud storage services. Near Field Communication (NFC) is also enabled, allowing for a one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices without the need for any complicated setup. If a mobile device is connected to the camera, it may also display a live view image on its screen and control the camera’s shutter remotely.
- The use of a Bluetooth connection enables the capture of location data.
Additional Camera Functions
- A Rating tool allows you to apply star ratings to photographs in-camera, ranging from 1 to 5, to make editing and sorting easier at home during post-production.
- When used in multi-segment, center-weighted, or spot metering modes, an innovative 1200-zone evaluative exposure metering sensor produces consistent and precise results.
- With the Highlight and Average metering modes, you can avoid blown-out highlights and achieve consistent auto-exposure, which are both beneficial.
- For still photographs, anti-flicker shooting automatically detects and timing the shutter action to eliminate flickering, resulting in more consistent results than with conventional photography.
- Posterization (Color), Posterization (B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera (Normal/Cool/Warm/Green/Magenta), and Soft High-Key are some of the picture effect options available.
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, and more creative style modes are available. Style Box (1-6), (Contrast (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Style Box (1-6).
Sony a7 III Specs
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Other resolutions||6000 x 3376, 3936 x 2624, 3936 x 2216, 3008 x 1688, 3008 x 2000|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||25 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (35.8 x 23.8 mm)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||50|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||204800|
|White balance presets||11|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||5 stop(s)|
|JPEG quality levels||Extra fine, fine, standard|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Digital zoom||Yes (4)|
|Number of focus points||693|
|Lens mount||Sony E|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|External flash||Yes (via Multi-Interface shoe)|
|Continuous drive||10.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 10 sec; continuous (3 or 5 exposures))|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (3, 5 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV steps)|
|Resolutions||3840 x 2160 (30p, 24p) 1920 x 1080 (120p, 60p, 60i, 24p), 1440 x 1080 (30p), 640 x 480 (30p)|
|Format||MPEG-4, AVCHD, XAVC S, H.264|
|Videography notes||Supports XAVC S codec (100Mbps), S-Log2 and S-Log3, and HLG|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 25 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 16 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60i / 24 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60i / 17 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC, Memory Stick Duo/Pro Duo/Pro-HG Duo|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (micro-HDMI port with 4K still, uncompressed video output)|
|Wireless notes||with NFC and wireless control via PlayMemories Mobile app|
|Remote control||Yes (wired)|
|Battery description||NP-FZ100 lithium-ion battery and charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||710|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||650 g (1.43 lb / 22.93 oz)|
|Dimensions||127 x 96 x 74 mm (5 x 3.78 x 2.91″)|