This adaptable, high-performance camera proves that speed, resolution, and video capabilities can all coexist. It is distinguished not only by its resolution but also by its adaptability in terms of multimedia capture.
The a7R IIIA is built on a full-frame 42.4MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor and an upgraded BIONZ X image processor, and it offers an amazing 10 frames per second continuous shooting rate, as well as enhanced focusing performance for faster, more reliable subject tracking and broad frame coverage.
Using a combination of 399 phase-detection points and 425 contrast detection regions, the new Fast Hybrid AF System achieves faster acquisition of focus in a range of lighting settings while also maintaining focus on subjects more efficiently.
In addition to improving speed and autofocus, the processing enhancements also contribute to improved image quality over the whole ISO 100-32000 sensitivity range, which may be further extended to ISO 50-102400.
Enhanced video recording capabilities have also been added, allowing for higher quality while recording UHD 4K video across the whole width of the full-frame sensor, or when employing a Super35 area and 5K oversampling to reduce moiré and aliasing while recording UHD 4K video.
Additionally, the a7R IIIA keeps the 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE sensor-shift image stabilization, which is now capable of reducing the appearance of camera shaking by up to 5.5 stops, which is beneficial for both stills and video capture.
In addition to image enhancements, the a7R IIIA features a revamped body design that includes a 3.69m-dot Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder for bright, clear, and realistic eye-level monitoring, as well as a 3.69m-dot Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder. 3.0 with an improved rear suspension “A tilting touchscreen LCD with 2.36 million dots is also offered for easy settings management and to better support working from high and low angles.
Dual SD memory card slots are now available, allowing for increased shooting versatility. A bigger NP-FZ100 battery is now included, allowing for up to 530 images per charge when shooting via the viewfinder when utilizing the camera’s viewfinder.
Dust and moisture protection are also provided by the magnesium alloy chassis and thorough weather sealing, making the a7R IIIA an excellent choice for photographers working in challenging situations.
Improvements to the a7R IIIA
If the a7R IIIA is compared to its predecessor, the a7R III, the resolution of the rear LCD has increased from 1,440,000 to 2,359,296 dots. This is the most significant upgrade in the camera’s history. It has also received an update from a USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C Port to a speedier USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C Port, which was previously available. With the exception of these two enhancements, the a7R III and a7R IIIA are identical in terms of specifications and performance.
Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor with 42.4 MP resolution and BIONZ X image processor
The full-frame 42.4-megapixel Exmor R CMOS sensor, which has a back-illuminated design, works in conjunction with the BIONZ X image processor to capture high-resolution stills and video while minimizing noise and increasing speed.
This sensor construction works in conjunction with a gapless on-chip lens design and an anti-reflection coating, as well as the elimination of the optical low-pass filter, to improve light collection and detail capture while reducing noise.
Another benefit of using the copper wire layer is that it significantly increases data transfer speed, allowing for the creation of 42.4-megapixel still images with a 14-bit color depth and a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-32000, which can be further increased to ISO 50-102400. Aside from that, it allows for internal UHD 4K video recording with a broad dynamic range while utilizing the entire width of the full-frame sensor.
As mentioned above, the BIONZ X processor works in concert with an advanced LSI to provide quicker processing speeds while still capturing images with an amazing 15-stop dynamic range at low sensitivity levels.
Fast continuous shooting at up to 10 frames per second at full resolution, for up to 76 consecutive frames, and with full-time AF/AE when using either a mechanical shutter or an electronic shutter is also possible with this sensor and CPU combination. When shooting in live view mode, it is possible to achieve a continuous shooting rate of up to 8 frames per second.
A system with Hybrid AF with Quick Response Time
With the introduction of an improved 4D FOCUS system, a combination of 399 phase-detection points that cover roughly 68 percent of the frame, as well as 425 contrast-detection regions, can now provide reliable and speedy autofocus and subject tracking performance for the first time.
When compared to prior a7R models, this Fast Hybrid AF System now delivers double the focusing speed and more consistent tracking, as well as better low-light focusing response down to -3 EV in low light conditions. The use of phase-detection points also permits the use of A-mount lenses with full continuous AF/AE tracking compatibility when using the optional LA-EA3 or LA-EA1 lens mount adapters, which are available separately.
For improved accuracy, the apt focus system is also capable of a variety of focusing functions. These include Lock-on AF, which maintains focus on moving subjects throughout the use of a configurable frame that is placed over the desired moving subject; and Expand Flexible Spot, which employs neighboring focus points to maintain focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus.
Additionally, Eye AF, which can be used to focus on identified subjects’ eyes for portraiture and is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes, may be used to base focus on recognized subjects’ eyes. When focusing on minute subject details, autofocus can be utilized in concert with the Focus Magnifier feature to achieve critical focus on the topic at hand.
It is also possible to utilize the back touchscreen for Touch Focus control, and a Touchpad Focus Control mode allows you to operate the rear touchscreen in an easy manner while keeping your gaze fixed on the viewfinder.
The AF area may be rotated to better suit your subject matter, allowing you to have more customized control over focus while also benefiting from operating in either vertical or horizontal shooting posture.
A custom button can be programmed to memorize and recall frequently used focus point settings, which allows for faster switching between focus settings.
The AF tracking sensitivity can also be customized in five steps to match the movement of the subject, and the subject can be tracked in five different directions.
5-Axis SteadyShot Image Stabilization INSIDE the camera
The powerful a7R IIIA is equipped with a 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization technology that is capable of compensating for five distinct forms of camera shaking that can occur while shooting stills and video with the camera in hand.
The ability to utilize any lens, even adapted lenses, for important images without encountering blur due to camera shake is a huge advantage for photographers.
When working with longer focal lengths, the system will compensate for pitch and yaw corrections automatically. The incorporation of horizontal and vertical shift correction will, on the other hand, be beneficial for macro and high-magnification pictures.
The roll compensation will be beneficial to photographers of all shooting types. No matter if you are using third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization, all five axes of stabilization will always be active and working properly.
UHD 4K video recording in the XAVC S format is supported.
Because of the Super35mm recording area and effective 5K resolution, internal recording of UHD 4K movies is possible at multiple frame rates up to 30 frames per second. Oversampling provides greater detail, and full pixel readout, which is devoid of pixel binning, allows for higher quality imagery with reduced moiré and aliasing.
A significant improvement has also been made to full-frame 4K recording in order to increase quality while operating at medium to high sensitivities, allowing for full utilization of the complete sensor width. It is also possible to record in full HD 1080p at frame rates of up to 120 frames per second, and both resolutions make use of the 100 Mbps XAVC S codec, which is stored behind an MP4 wrapper with 4:2:0 sampling.
The high-speed, 120-frame-per-second recording also allows for 4x and 5x slow-motion video recording at frame rates of either 30p or 24p, depending on the frame rate setting. An optional external recorder capable of clear 4K recording with 4:2:2 sampling can be used in conjunction with the high-resolution internal recordings made possible by the uncompressed HDMI output, which is also available.
While recording a 4K video, users will have the option of creating 8MP still images during playback by capturing a frame grab from the video and saving it as a separate file.
Additional Video Characteristics
Support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) Content:
The a7R IIIA has extensive color and gamma adjustments that can be customized to suit individual needs. Users may modify the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and more. The S-Log2 Gamma Curve used on high-end Sony Cinema cameras, which squeezes up to 1300 percent more dynamic range into the video signal than typical REC709, can also be used to boost post-production versatility.
The HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) color space is also supported, as is the BT.2020 color space, for recording images with a wide color gamut. In addition to S-Log2, S-Log3 is also supported for producing images with an effective 14-stop dynamic range and increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image. The BT.2020 color space is also supported.
Motion in both slow and rapid motion:
Using the S&Q mode, you may have greater control over your video capture capabilities by using a number of different frame rates that are accessible in the S&Q mode. Shooters will be able to capture Full HD footage at one of two frame rates: one step between 1-120 frames per second or one step between 1-120 frames per second.
These options will allow you to slow down fast-moving action while simultaneously speeding up a slow-moving scenario. This setting is also switchable between NTSC and PAL.
Zebra Function Has Been Improved:
In high-contrast scenarios, an increased Zebra function is particularly well suited for aiding in the monitoring of exposure levels. Video signal level goals may be set anywhere between 0 and 109, and particular ranges can be defined to facilitate adjusting the exposure level easily.
Time Code and User Bit Configuration:
A time code may be used to record hours, minutes, seconds, and frames on picture data for more exact editing, while the User Bit function can record the date, time, and scene number to help in the editing of video from various cameras when putting together footage from numerous cameras.
Recording using a proxy:
It is possible to record both UHD 4K videos and lower-resolution proxy movies at the same time. The smaller proxy files are perfect for short previewing or pre-editing, which can help to decrease the amount of time spent on the final 4K post-production.
Design of the body as well as the presence of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- An upgraded Quad-VGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF with a 3.69m-dot resolution is included, allowing for bright, crisp viewing in fine detail. Standard and High-quality settings can be employed in order to maximize the viewing experience, depending on the context that is being photographed. This enhanced viewfinder design also allows for the use of autofocus in the Focus Magnifier mode, as well as better focusing peaking to aid in manual focus operation while using the Focus Magnifier mode.
- In addition to the EVF, a 3.0 is included “A back LCD with a resolution of 2.36 million dots is also available, and it has a touch panel interface for straightforward operation and focuses adjustment. In addition, the screen tilts upward at 107° and downward at 41° to profit from working at high and low angles, respectively.
- The chassis is made of magnesium alloy, which provides stiffness, durability, and stability while staying lightweight. The lens mount has also been upgraded to better accommodate large lenses, and the grip hardness has been increased to provide a more comfortable grip.
- A sturdy shutter unit combines a coreless motor and brake system that lowers vibrations to better regulate shutter shock as well as increase its rated lifespan to roughly 500,000 actuations.
- Weather-sealing has been used to keep dust and moisture out of the system, allowing it to operate reliably under adverse weather conditions.
- The a7R IIIA, which uses the same NP-FZ100 battery as the a9, has enhanced battery life and is now rated for about 530 photos with the EVF and 640 shots with the rear LCD on a single charge, respectively.
- Dual SD memory card slots allow for more flexible file storing and processing and may be configured to divide raw and JPEG files, as well as to record overflow data when the card is full. One of the card slots has been certified to accept UHS-II memory cards, which are currently unavailable.
- Wired flash sync with strobe packs or wireless radio remotes is made possible via an integrated PC sync terminal.
- There is now an additional USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port, in addition to a micro-USB port, to allow for speedier and more reliable tethering capabilities. The USB Type-C connection enables the camera to be charged from the host power source while it is attached to the host power source.
- The a7R IIIA is equipped with a 3.5mm microphone input port, which allows it to be used with external microphones. For those that want more, the camera is also compatible with the Sony XLR-K2M XLR Adapter, which allows users to record professionally balanced XLR audio signals with phantom power and adjustable mic/line inputs while still recording video. A 3.5mm headphone port is provided for monitoring sounds, and real-time audio levels are shown for visual reference.
- The a7R IIIA’s built-in Wi-Fi enables it to rapidly transfer imagery to mobile devices for direct uploading to social media sites, sending through email, and storing in cloud storage. Near Field Communication (NFC) is also enabled, allowing for a one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices without the need for any complicated setup. If a mobile device is connected to the camera, it may also display a live view image on its screen and control the camera’s shutter remotely.
- The use of a Bluetooth connection enables the capture of location data.
Multi-Shooting with Pixel Shift
Through the use of this innovative compositing mode, you may get an even higher resolution than the 42.4MP sensor is capable of. This mode, which works in conjunction with sensor-shift image stabilization, adjusts the sensor while taking four successive exposures, resulting in about 169.6MP of information, which provides higher color accuracy and detail than is feasible with a single exposure. Using the Sony Imaging software package, these files may then be blended together during the post-production process.
Additional Camera Functions
- A Rating tool allows you to apply star ratings to photographs in-camera, ranging from 1 to 5, to make editing and sorting easier at home during post-production.
- When used in multi-segment, center-weighted, or spot metering modes, an innovative 1200-zone evaluative exposure metering sensor produces consistent and precise results.
- With the Highlight and Average metering modes, you can avoid blown-out highlights and achieve consistent auto-exposure, which are both beneficial.
- For still photographs, anti-flicker shooting automatically detects and timing the shutter action to eliminate flickering, resulting in more consistent results than with conventional photography.
- Posterization (Color), Posterization (B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera (Normal/Cool/Warm/Green/Magenta), and Soft High-Key are some of the picture effect options available.
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn leaves, Black & White, Sepia, and more creative style modes are available. Style Box (1-6), (Contrast (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Style Box (1-6).
Sony a7r III Specs
|MSRP||$3199 (body only)|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||7952 x 5304|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||42 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||44 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (35.9 x 24 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-32000 (expands to 50-102400)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||50|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||102400|
|White balance presets||10|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|Image stabilization notes||5-axis|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||5.5 stop(s)|
|JPEG quality levels||Extra fine, fine, standard|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||399|
|Lens mount||Sony E|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||Yes|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe or flash sync port)|
|Flash modes||Off, Auto, Fill-flash, Slow Sync, Rear Sync, Red-eye reduction, Wireless, Hi-speed sync|
|Continuous drive||10.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 10 sec; continuous (3 or 5 exposures))|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (3, 5 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV steps)|
|Format||MPEG-4, AVCHD, XAVC S|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 25 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60i / 24 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 60i / 17 Mbps, AVCHD, MTS, H.264, AAC1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 16 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||Two SD/SDHC/SDXC slots (UHS-II support on one)|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (micro HDMI)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n + NFC + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (wired, wireless, smartphone)|
|Battery description||NP-FZ100 lithium-ion battery and charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||650|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||657 g (1.45 lb / 23.17 oz)|
|Dimensions||127 x 96 x 74 mm (5 x 3.78 x 2.91″)|