We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
A revised 12.1MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor and an updated BIONZ XR image processor provide faster performance, improved noise reduction, and a wider dynamic range, in addition to UHD 4K 120p video recording and internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling. Other features include UHD 4K 120p video recording and internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling.
Improved sensor and processor performance allows1 for faster readout speeds and significantly reduced rolling shutter, as well as high-bitrate internal recording, 16-bit raw output through the camera’s full-size HDMI port, and flexible control over motion thanks to a variable frame rate selection feature.
In addition, the a7S III does away with recording time restrictions and integrates HLG for direct HDR creation as well as S-Log2/S-Log3 gamma profiles for advanced HDR production with post-production editing.
Improvements in focusing performance are also brought about by the upgraded sensor architecture, which has 759 phase-detection points that provide intelligent subject tracking and Real-time Eye AF to assure essential focus on moving subjects in all recording modes.
The sensor and BIONZ XR processor also provide outstanding sensitivity, with an increased range from ISO 40 to ISO 409600, as well as fast 10 fps continuous shooting for up to 1000 consecutive raw frames with the sensor and processor combined.
Additional picture stabilization options include 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE sensor-shift image stabilization, which may reduce the appearance of camera shaking by up to 5.5 stops.
In addition to improvements to the photographic capabilities, Sony has made various improvements to the physical design of the a7S III, including a back LCD with a side-open articulating design and an amazing 9.44 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder.
The menu system has also been upgraded to make it easier to navigate, and the camera’s body design helps to encourage greater heat dissipation, which results in improved continuous recording capabilities in low-light conditions.
Additionally, the twin memory card ports are both capable of supporting the use of CFexpress Type A or SD UHS-II memory cards for flexible and high-speed file storage, respectively.
Exmor RS BSI CMOS sensor with 12.1MP resolution and BIONZ XR image processor
Full-frame CMOS sensor with 12.1MP resolution and a back-illuminated Exmor RS design to produce greater clarity and decreased noise, as well as the expectedly high sensitivity, which ranges from ISO 80-102400 with an expanded ISO range of 40-409600.
As a result of the upgraded sensor architecture, readout rates are 2x quicker than in prior generations. When combined with the redesigned BIONZ XR image processor, the rolling shutter is reduced by 3x, and processing and overall camera handling are up to 8x faster, respectively.
Also aided by the sensor and CPU combination is the ability to capture images with a broad dynamic range of up to about 14 stops for stills and 15 stops for video, as well as 10 frames per second continuous shooting for stills and up to 1000 uncompressed raw files for video.
Internal recording in UHD 4K 120p with 10-bit 4:2:2 color depth.
Full 1:1 pixel readout without binning is feasible for recording at frame rates up to 120p in UHD 4K resolution at up to 120p frame rates. For even greater tonal reproduction and post-production flexibility, internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling is also available in all recording modes.
When recording externally via the full-size HDMI A port, 16-bit raw output is also available for even greater tonal reproduction and post-production flexibility. Also created are XAVC HS codecs, which employ HEVC/H.265 encoding to keep greater information at lower bitrates, and XAVC S-I, which is an intraframe codec that ensures stable performance and quality at bitrates of up to 600 Mbit/s.
As a result of the high-speed 120 fps recording, it is possible to create 4x and 5x slow-motion movies, with the frame rate playback set to either 30p or 24p, or, if shooting at Full HD quality, an effective 240p frame rate is available for even better motion control.
Additionally, the a7S III does not have any recording duration constraints, which makes it ideal for long-form recording because it allows for virtually limitless clip lengths. With an enhanced heat dissipation construction, the camera can record for extended periods of time, with 4K60p recording lasting around 60 minutes.
The a7S III provides extensive color and gamma controls, allowing users to alter the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and other parameters, among other settings. In addition to matching the FX9 and FX6 cameras, S-Cinetone can be used to deliver distinct colors and healthy-looking skin tone rendering that is based on technology from the professional Cinema Line cameras, such as the VENICE. S-Cinetone can be used to deliver distinct colors and healthy-looking skin tone rendering. With this color profile, you’ll get natural mid-tones, soft hues, and highlights that are exceptionally well-controlled.
The S-Log2 Gamma Curve used on high-end Sony Cinema cameras, which squeezes up to 1300 percent more dynamic range into the video signal than typical REC709, can also be used to boost post-production versatility.
The HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) color space is also supported, as is the BT.2020 color space, allowing for the recording of images with a wide color gamut. In addition to S-Log2, S-Log3 is also supported, allowing for the production of images with a 15+-stop dynamic range and improved grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
A system with Hybrid AF with Quick Response Time
A Fast Hybrid AF system with 759 phase-detection points and 425 contrast-detection regions, which covers 92 percent of the picture area, allows for rapid and precise focusing in a variety of lighting circumstances with sensitivity down to -6 EV and is capable of shooting in low light.
All recording modes, including video and stills, may make use of this focusing technology, which is beneficial for both video and stills applications. Moreover, it has the ability to latch onto subjects rapidly, and it can employ Real-time Monitoring for AI-based tracking of moving subjects, as well as touch tracking for manual selection of the subject.
Using real-time Eye AF, which is ideal for both humans and animals, you can achieve essential sharpness while photographing people. The seven-step AF transition speed and five-step AF subject shift sensitivity adjustments allow you to fine-tune how rapidly focus switches from point to point and how smoothly focusing shifts occur, which will help you get the best performance out of the focusing system overall.
5-Axis SteadyShot Image Stabilization INSIDE the camera
An improved 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization system, which compensates for five different types of camera shake encountered during handheld still and video shooting, is built into the a7S III. This system is effective for 5.5 stops and compensates for five different types of camera shake encountered during handheld still and video shooting.
The ability to utilize any lens, even adapted lenses, for important images without encountering blur due to camera shake is a huge advantage for photographers.
When working with longer focal lengths, the system will compensate for pitch and yaw corrections automatically. The incorporation of horizontal and vertical shift correction will, on the other hand, be beneficial for macro and high-magnification pictures.
The roll compensation will be beneficial to photographers of all shooting types. No matter if you are using third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization, all five axes of stabilization will always be active and working properly.
Also available for video is an Active IS mode, which employs even more accurate stabilization technologies to provide even smoother footage right out of the camera, compared to the standard IS mode.
Designing of the Body and Connectivity
- Incredibly bright, clear, and detailed eye-level viewing is provided by an outstanding QXGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF with a high 9.44 million dot resolution and 0.9x magnification for remarkable brightness, clarity, and detail.
- There is a special High-Quality option for smooth motion rendering at 120 frames per second, and the physical design of the finder includes a long 25mm eye point, a 41° field of vision, and a fluorine coating on the outermost viewfinder element to aid in cleaning.
- This is the first time a side-opening 3.0″ 1.44m-dot vari-angle articulating screen has been used on an a7-series camera, and it allows you to operate from high and low angles as well as a front-facing position for vlogging or other self-recording purposes. This LCD screen also functions as a touchscreen, allowing for more intuitive shooting control and navigating through the menu system.
- Dual memory card slots are capable of accepting either CFexpress Type A or SD-type memory cards in any of the two slots. The dual-slot architecture provides for more flexible file storing and processing, and it may be customized to segregate file types or to record overflow data as necessary, among other things. Aside from that, both of the card slots are capable of supporting UHS-II memory cards, which enable quicker data transmission speeds.
- The redesigned menu layout is more intuitive, and it compliments the fact that there are various processes and settings possibilities for recording movies and taking still photographs. The menu system also works in combination with the back LCD’s touchscreen design, which is a convenient feature.
- The chassis is made of magnesium alloy, which provides stiffness, durability, and stability while staying lightweight. It has also been enhanced to help support heavier lenses, and the grip hardness has been increased to allow for more comfortable hand-holding when shooting with a tripod.
- Extreme weather sealing, including improved sealing around the battery cover, terminal cover, and chassis joints, has been implemented to keep dust and moisture out and to ensure dependable operation even in the most adverse weather situations.
- This camera is compatible with the high-capacity NP-FZ100 rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which gives about 510 shots/80 minutes of recording time on a single charge when using the viewfinder or 600 shots/95 minutes of recording time when using the rear LCD screen.
- Full-size When dealing with external recorders, the HDMI A port provides a more dependable connection than the HDMI B connector.
- There is now an additional USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port, in addition to a micro-USB port, to allow for speedier and more reliable tethering capabilities. While connected, the camera may be charged or powered by the host power source thanks to the USB Type-C connection.
- The use of a 3.5mm headphone jack, as well as an external microphone connector, allows for better control over audio recording.
- With the optional ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or the XLR-K3M Extender Kit, the Multi Interface Shoe provides better, clear audio recording sound by providing a digital audio signal to the camera, rather than an analog signal, which is then recorded on the camera’s internal microphone.
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows for remote camera operation and the immediate transfer of images to mobile devices for uploading to the internet. Support for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands also allows for wireless tethered shooting. This link also allows for remote control of the camera.
- This port may be used in conjunction with an optional Ethernet wired LAN adapter to enable 1000BASE-T connectivity, wired remote shooting, and FTP transferring capabilities, among other things.
Sony a7s III Specs
|MSRP||$3499 (body only)|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||4240 x 2832|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||12 megapixels|
|Sensor photodetectors||13 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (35.6 x 23.8 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 80-102400 (expands to 40-409600)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||40|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||409600|
|White balance presets||7|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|Image stabilization notes||5-axis|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||5.5 stop(s)|
|JPEG quality levels||Extra fine, fine, normal|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor)Phase DetectMulti-areaCenterSelective single-pointTrackingSingleContinuousTouchFace DetectionLive View|
|Number of focus points||759|
|Lens mount||Sony E|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|External flash||Yes (Multi-interface shoe)|
|Continuous drive||10.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (3, 5 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Format||MPEG-4, XAVC S, XAVC HS, XAVC S-I, H.264, H.265|
|Modes||3840 x 2160 @ 120p / 280 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 100p / 280 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 200 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 200 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 140 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 140 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 100 Mbps, XAVC HS, MP4, H.265, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 600 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 500 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 300 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 250 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 240 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 120p / 280 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 100p / 280 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 200 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 200 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 140 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 140 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 222 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 185 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 30p / 111 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 93 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 89 Mbps, XAVC S-I, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 100p / 100 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 60p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 50p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 25p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM1920 x 1080 @ 24p / 50 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM|
|Storage types||Dual SD/CFexpress Type A slots|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|USB charging||Yes (USB PD supported)|
|Wireless notes||802.11ac (dual band) + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (wireless or smartphone)|
|Battery description||NP-FZ100 lithium-ion battery charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||600|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||699 g (1.54 lb / 24.66 oz)|
|Dimensions||129 x 97 x 81 mm (5.08 x 3.82 x 3.19″)|